Do any of you have problems with stayin gin reality?

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by jameslyons, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I was reading up on male survivors of abuse and this article argued that people who survived abuse had a tendency to shut down their emotions and to struggle staying attached to reality -- that male patients with abuse in their past would often comment on feeling detached or even separate from their bodies. Some would stop connecting life with themselves, i.e., James would go through life not thinking about what he needed or that he was in fact James.

Anyhow, recently I've been drifting in and out of these fits more and more. I'm sinking into different memories for a while, then jumping out of myself for a couple hours before coming back in :unsure: .

I'm concerned that one day I'm going to go really loopy and just ... well, no longer realize that I'm switching in and out of these moods. Does anybody else have to deal with detachment.

For instance right now I'm sitting at my desk and thinking about how little everything matters in reference to the infinite expansion of time. And how I'm more in tune with the stream in time than I am with myself or anyone I know.

Honestly, it's just such a great coping method for dealing with the negative emotions of abuse. Just simple ... nothingness.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I have never been sexually abused but I get this exact same thing. It's unpleasant I think though. It truly is nothingness.

3. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

I've had a few events that triggered some slight dissociation or depersonalization in the past. Haven't had anything like that in a long time though. I miss it sometimes.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I struggle a lot with dissociation and depersonalisation which may be what you are describing (it sounds like it), although I have never been sexually abused.

It's something that happens in varying degrees to everyone (such as driving on autopilot to somewhere and not remebering the journey), to far more severe episodes of blanks of time, or having an alter.

If you have a professional that you talk to/work with, it would be worth talking about this with them.

5. jameslyons

Thanks for the answers everyone. Glad as hell I'm not alone. :blink:

6. soapymongoose

soapymongoose Well-Known Member

Man, you sound as analytical as me :blink:
    Sounds like similar experiences too. My "outside" persona runs away from me sometimes. I think I know what you mean in everything you've said actually :huh:.

7. sleepyxwillow

sleepyxwillow Member

Yup....and it only gets worse.

8. annie-crafts

annie-crafts Well-Known Member

Do you just space out for awhile or do you actually "lose time". Like you come out of it and you have no memory of what's been going on for the past hours? Or are you just getting lost in your head?

9. jameslyons

I just space out -- extreme daydreams. But it makes it very difficult to concentrate on what I need to do :(. I don't lose track of time though. I just don't feel connected to anything I do.

10. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

It's kind of funny, I was abused as a child but I don't suffer any of these symptoms. I suppose my coping mechanism is just accepting what happened and understanding that in the real world bad things happen. I understand that I'm just a little part of the whole and my past is just that..... the past. I can't change the past, no one can change their past. Sometimes the best thing to do is forget... and if you can forgive. then forgive. Sometimes bad things happen for no reason at all..... they just happen.

I know what I'm doing.
    It hurts to know how much I damage myself.
    Losing myself in fantasies....... only creating false hope.
    Delusions.....

11. annie-crafts

annie-crafts Well-Known Member

Yeah, i more often that not, don't feel connected to much :blink:
    except maybe to my unconnectedness :huh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.