'Do gooders'

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Ruby, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Why do people feel the need to stop people from committing suicide? Say, for example, I was planning on jumping off a cliff, the last thing i'd want would be someone stopping me. Can't people just concentrate on their own lives? If and when I decide to kill myself I won't tell ANYONE.
  2. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I'm sure it's often some delusion of it being the right decision, even though someone might have everything to die for.

I think people should just offer kindhearted talk with someone who is suicidal and, at most, say they really don't want them to die and/or that it would make them really sad if they died, and similarly related things... but, of course, only if they'd mean it. I myself also don't want anyone to commit suicide, but I'm well aware it's the only way out, for some.

Interveners are really bothersome, though. If I'd try to take my life, and someone would intervene, I would never forgive that person.
  3. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting question that I ask myself sometimes. I suppose that humans, being social creatures, apply our own survival instinct to the human species in general. Thus resulting in individuals seeking to perserve the lives of other individuals.

That's one guess.
  4. SoHappyItHurts

SoHappyItHurts Well-Known Member

When I think of intervention, I think of someone physically intervening, threatening to call the police, or doing anything to make suicide less convenient. For example, a parent taking away anything like rope from the house.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  5. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

your right about these type of people they feel like the world depends on them alone to show everyone how to live like them. I especially dont like those people that criticise my own opinion just because it doesnt fit in with the way western media forces us to think in a way that they see right ie. all americans are stupid and fat, drugs are bad, alchohol is completely harmless. Theyre all mindless middle class scum turned into drones but completely believe that they are individual and havent been influenced to how they think at all
  6. SoHappyItHurts

SoHappyItHurts Well-Known Member

An important point, however, is that teenagers -- whose brains are not fully developed, including the ability to reason -- are impressionable, especially when experiencing the feelings of hopelessness that are inherent in severe depression. Therefore, there is a certain social responsibility in a public forum.

"The Teenage Brain: A Work in Progress" (nih.gov)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  7. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I'm apathetic about it now tbh, all I care about is dying.
  8. Robin

Robin Guest

I've known suicidal people to turn the clock back on themselves and actually come out feeling somewhat positive, to the extent that they are now supporting me in what has been a rough year, not everyone who is suicidal commits suicide and those that don't often find ways to help others in return.

I do agree though that an opinion shouldn't be forced on someone, emotional support is the best avenue to explore in my view as alot of suffering people often feel an intense feeling of loneliness and a little company can be soothing to the soul. It doesn't help everyone but then one shoe size never fits all and for those it helps I am glad.
  9. see

see Well-Known Member

If humanity took more of an intrest in other humans rememebering the basics of love care and friendship with other humans you would not see those few how care and try reach out as the enemy.............
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.