do happy people have an effect on you?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by the masked depressant, Apr 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

either make you happy and realise that there is still hope, or drag you down because you can't believe that anyone can be so happy

with me, it drags me down.. i hear of people's success stories- like they graduated colledge, got a job etc.. and i think to myself.. well- it's okay if they can be so happy.. but why them?

why not me?

i often feel sad (yeah, it's good that something good happened to the person) but it often just makes me wonder.. it's strange.

what are your thoughts on this?
  2. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

Re: do happy people have an affect on you?

It doesn't really drag me down, my life is the way it is mostly because I wanted it to be that way, and it could have been much happier if I didn't stick to my principles, I was too picky about many things.

Well, there is one thing that dragged me down really hard a few months ago. It happened when I saw some lovely girl with other guy, and years back we were destined to be together, (we met each other at the bus station, it was love at first look which lasted like a few seconds) but it has never happened due to my depression and isolation, I didn't even have a chance to meet her although she lives only like 200 meters from my house. She tried so hard to get closer to me for years tho., and its not the only thing I missed in my life, and thats really what drag me down, me,myself...I know, I am a LOSER! I am not capable to live normal life, I know that and thats why I wanna die soon.
  3. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Am I live: Your not a loser. For sure we have regrets but it's best not to think of what could of been. I know this is easier said than done.

Well, they do now and did in the past (both in a positive and negative way) but there was a time where it would make me jealous or down or a combination of different things.
  4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I actually have work experience at the moment at a dentist and this triggered me a bit yesterday. One of the patients started talking about one of her kids, a 14 year old boy. And how he was so happy at his boarding school, with friends, good grades, happy etc etc. She said he was in 'boy heaven'. I'm left thinking 'what the fuck? how could anyone like anything?', it's all become very repulsive.

Happy people tend to remind me of what I don't have. Make me feel worse about myself, depending on their ego(some people are really annoying...). I avoid most others. I usually am better off that way.
  5. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

They don't bother me too much these 'overly happy' people but I really can't stand them all that much, everything about them just seems so boring, safe, mainstream, mainly they're PC types of people who I try to avoid.:grr: Would really like to be happy but if that's what happiness appears to be to me then I'll keep looking for my own kind whatever that may be, if anything.:eek:hmy:
  6. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

Other peoples happiness is not something I find offensive usually, unless they are trying to shove it down my throat. I do have one friend in particular who I think I must harbor some jealousy with, because I go long periods of time before I can deal with communicating with her. Its funny though...Sometimes I wonder if people think of me as one of the "Happy People" because I laugh and smile a lot.
    Usually I just wonder on what I am missing out on from their perspective and what they are unable to see by harnessing my own.
  7. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

If they're weak and happy, I feel superior. If they're strong and happy, I feel like shit.
  8. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

When someone else succeeds and I have not, yet, it makes me feel like a failure both as a person and as a man. I know from personal experience since I have long dragged my life down my lonely road and watched as others on other roads outpaced me.

Right now I'm (honestly) thinking that the closer we're to mortal danger the more we contemplate death. We can be close to someone who is close to it and that will make us think about death but it can also be us that's close to it. Sometimes I wonder if suicidal or people on the edge (me?) have illnesses or diseases or cancers or old age or they're close to people who do. These things will make one think about death more than is normal. It's like a preparation mechanism. If you're on the race track (life) and your car (you) hasn't started yet (death) then what will be on your mind? Obviously, the race will be on your mind (death).

I've also thought lately that to love is to live. So maybe people who do not desire life, do not love.

And the matrix (like in the movie) exists. We're each Neo. The matrix exists in our mind. We cannot change the outside world, but it hardly matters because the reality that matters is internal. I think life is about learning how to shape the images and conceptions in our mind in such a way that it boosts our success in life. Our internal reality can both help us and harm us. Yes, we can convince ourselves that lying and cheating and stealing and killing are viable paths to improve ourselves. But you cannot break the rules of the outside universe without extreme consequences. You can only change the rules in the inner universe (our mind). So the challenge is to create a harmonious inner reality that does not break the rules of the outer universe but one which will elevate you to a level where you can operate optimally in the outer universe. I believe more people are destroyed by their internal reality than the outer one.

He is the one, and he is you! Watch:
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2011
  9. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

savage jealousy if I don't like them,but it makes me happy if someone I like gets on well in life. If the people I love are happy then it gives me something less to worry about.
  10. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that the root of all evil stems from man's ego and envy. For most people emotions such as envy are mild and pass naturally, but for me my envy is vicious and highly destructive, mostly to myself though. I'm relatively indifferent to most people who may be happy at the moment. It's just the people whom I deeply envy that set me off the deep end if I see them happy. Initiate schadenfreude!
  11. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

thanmks for your responses- i'm interested to read what you all think
  12. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

yes, same here. i hate myself for it
  13. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

hmm... I had to think about this for a bit. Other people's emotional state doesn't have much affect on me either way. It's the physical side effects of that emotional state that can bother me. For instance, if a person is extraordinarily happy and bouncing off the walls making fast twitchy movements all over the place, that will make me very uneasy. Anxious.

Obvious displays of emotion usually just confuse me. How do you feel so much?
  14. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I had to think about this one for a while, too.

I think that other peoples emotions can definitely cause a shift in my own. Happy people often make me feel really, really envious. I'm afraid to admit it offline, but here I feel a bit safer admitting it. I often get really, really jealous of other peoples fortune. Sometimes to the point where I'll get angry at them. At the same rate and time, though... I often find myself confused about their happiness. It's as if I simply don't understand it. Sometimes (for certain people) I'm convinced it's a cover up, even.

Eh, emotions are really confusing to me. I think happiness is probably one of the most confusing ones.
  15. Will

Will Staff Alumni

Overly happy people make me feel pretty bad about myself. In comparison, I realize that I simply do not have the tools and skills they have to achieve what they so easily can.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.