Do I have a disorder?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by An Agonizing Life, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For years, I've always seen myself as an unattractive guy--not hideously disfigured, but still distastefully built. As if they weren't already strong enough, these feelings of disgust are further propagated by the exemplary icons of beauty in the media, as they provide direct and often distressful contrast with my own looks. Due to my personal as well as environmental perfectionism, I can only see myself as forever unattractive, cursed by not only my genetics but also my society.

Yet, for some odd reason, many people have given me comments of the opposite nature, complimenting me on my supposed good looks and features. In a few instances, some very attractive girls have even *dared* to say that I'm cute or hot, and my friends tell me that quite a few girls in my school actually like me. Though I view these remarks in utter disbelief, I still cannot help wondering if my own opinions are flawed and if my beauty is in the eye of all beholders but myself.

I'm confused: how can I see myself as ugly when almost everyone around me thinks otherwise? Now, I don't know whether to believe my own intuition or the words of strangers, as the former creates anxiety but also perceived truth while the latter solely consists of misguided optimism. Please help me; any opinions will be highly valued!
  2. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

I'm the same, I would say you are body dysmorphic.

I don't see myself as really ugly on the whole, only in certain photos/light I feel that way. But the problem is I'm not especially good looking. And I've always needed to be bigger and better with everything ...

So probably a mixture of perfectionism, a need to be the best/ better than others and BDD is what it is for me ..
  3. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

If complete strangers are telling you that you're attractive its not like they have any reason to make it up. I mean if you ONLY heard you were attractive from your family, then you might be suspicious they are making it up out of pity.

Remeber there are differnt forms of attractive. For some a body building jock with ripped abs is attractive, yet some people dont think so and think that a scrawny emo guy wearing eye liner and with his hair over his eyes is attractive.
  4. ace

ace Well-Known Member

DIT I think SD87 could be on to something I have Body dysmorphic disorder it's a strong possibility you can talk to me about it if you like.
  5. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Just be happy when others are thinking you are atractive. Its hard when others think you are ugly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.