Do I tell them?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by UnseenVarg, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnseenVarg

UnseenVarg Member

I have no idea if this is the appropriate category for this post. Hopefully it is, if it's not.. move it. :tongue:

Anyway, to the topic at hand. I'm not sure whether or not I should tell my counselor/therapist/psychiatrist that I'm having suicidal feelings and thoughts again.
    She knows I've been suicidal before, and I've told her after a failed attempt during our weekly sessions... (This was back in winter/early spring)
    But I'm not sure whether or not to tell her that the thoughts are back.. and have been back for a while.
    I mean, sure, it's a good idea to tell her.. but at the same time I don't want to be treated like a piece of fragile glass.
    I also don't want to go back to the ward..
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think it is wise just to give Therapist heads up to how you are feeling and that yes the suicidal ideas are coming back Perhaps therapist will suggest some ways to keep you from spiralling downwards even more. Always try to be open okay so the help will be there when you need it most hugs
  3. tx915

tx915 Active Member

You could always ask your therapist ahead of time how honest you can be without getting hospitalized. I know that I can tell my therapist that I am having suicidal thoughts but I cannot tell her the exact details. If she detects any sort of plans or means I can be hospitalized. Might be worth trying. Honesty helps the therapeutic relationship... (normally lol)

Good luck
  4. Sais

Sais Well-Known Member

Can they do that??? Put you in a ward without your consent?
    (sorry, not that familiar to the procedure)
  5. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

hey. tell them. and be honest. say that you don't want to be treated like fragile glass. and they won't treat you like fragile glass. also, you probably will NOT be hospitalized unless you are in the process of carrying out your plans. just tell her the thoughts are returning. they will help you keep them away, just like total eclipse said. they're really good about it. tell them. it won't hurt...
  6. UnseenVarg

UnseenVarg Member

In certain circumstances yeah. If they can't, they're going to try to pressure you into making the choice of staying.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Nice to get a few second opinions. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.