Do I Want to Get Better??

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by downunder, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

My husband has is all more switched on to what I am doing lately. I had a hidden stash of alcohol which he found (I don't drink). I have started driving around a lot in my car (it get rid of stress for me). He knows about what is happening at work, that I am up in the air at the moment and don't know whether I am coming or going. Also some bullying has taken place. I have told him I don't really want to train my dogs anymore (I have been doing it for the last 7 years, and used to take them to obedience trials etc). The club have some nasty people getting stuck into me about silly things. My last counselling session is today as my current counsellor is burnt out. My daughter died last year and it is coming up to my birthday.

He says if I am feeling low to tell him and he will get some help, but I don't want to end up in the "looney bin", I don't know if I want to get better. I just think I want to be somewhere else. I can;t talk to the counsellor about these strong suicidal feelings because then I will get sent to the looney bin and I don't want to go.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

There are a couple other threads about this. I've been to three seperate therapists and told them I was feeling suicidal and they didn't send me anywhere. Other people on the forum have said that the therapist asked them if they think they needed to go to the hospital. It's up to you. You can talk to people about feelings and not be sent to the "looney bin."
    But yea it's also a matter of wanting to get better. If you don't want to get better then a therapist might not be able to help. I've learned a lot about myself but I still haven't come to a place that I can say I truly want to get better.
    :hug:
    Hope you feel better.

3. downunder

I know it depends on who you talk to. I spoke to one person once and got dobbed in to the CAT team. He told me how to do it better for next time and how long my particular method would take.

4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I don't think you should be afraid to tell your therapist what your thoughts are. Usually unless you can tell them a time and method they listen and try to help you come up with alternatives. They can't help if they don't know. It is natural that you would struggle with your birthday coming up and without your daughter. Those special days are hard to get beyond. You are lucky to have a husband that is supportive. Have you told him your fears? Maybe if he knows you are afraid he will send you to a facility he can help reassure you. :hug:

5. downunder

I saw my counsellor today for the last time and told her everything, including past attempts and even feeling better after an attempt. My husband rang her yesterday with his concerns and she didn't even ask me about what they had been discussing. I also told her my fear of being locked up, and she recons that would not happen. I am not too sure.

She introduced me to the new counsellor that I will be seeing. The new counsellor just seems to me to be too official, I don't think I will click with her. Hopefully I don't scare her off, I don't see her until a fortnight. I will go in with an open mind and see how it goes. She has only been working for the organisation that I work in for 6 months.

6. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

honesty with yourself and others is a good approach hun, don't be scared to say how you feel.

7. nicegirl25

nicegirl25 New Member

I've been in a unit for depression at a hospital, and I actually found it very helpful. It was good to get away from the every-day stress of life and sit and have time for myself, without distraction. The unit I was on had daily therapy and groups, and a psychiatrist was always available. Perhaps it depends on where you go, but I found it could be life-changing. Hope that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.