Do I want to give it up?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by emack54, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emack54

emack54 Well-Known Member

I am suppose to start this DBT group tomorrow (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy). Part of the group comittment is comitting to not harming yourself. I ask myself if I want to give up self harming and right now the answer is no. Its the only thing to me that gets me through the days. I feel real when I do it and more calm than anything else I do. How can I give up something thats been a part of me for so long? I dont know..I am just really scared to join this group and to meet other people in real life that have similar issues to me. There will be no wall or barrier between me and the others tomorrow. I guess I will have to wait and see..sorry for the rambling..emack
  2. allofme

allofme Staff Alumni

what u r doing is really brave, i guess you will take it one step, minute at a time.. the thing is if the group is full of people who self harm is should be safe. once u get over the initial meeting i think you will do great... and i do understand how scary it must be to be asked to give up and old friend.. which is what sh has become to so many of us.. good luck .. hugs .. c
  3. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I have read a bit about DBT. Please come back and let us know your thoughts and feelings... how you get on. I would be so interested to know if this works for you. I wish you all the very best. I hope you find some resolve. Do not pressurise yourself by setting too high limits. God bless. x
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.