Do I want to stop it ?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Gobou, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobou

Gobou Member

I self-injury since a long time. I think it begins before the real act of injury myself, consciously. When I was a child I was often alone. And when I was having friends, I coun’t afford losing them so I hit myself. Then, when I was 15 I begin.
    At 17years old my mother saw it. It was the worst 2 months of my life I think... My parents couldn’t stop insulting me “idiot”... “you’re lying !”... “You just do that for everyone look at you !”...

I stoped, just the time they forget and I continue...

I don’t know if I want to stop, if I can... But I just want to be understand because it’s very hard to find that with my relatives. My boyfriend and a friend are the only people who know about that. And they don’t understand.
    My boyfriend doesn’t say anything but at the begin he wanted to help me but a “calm down when you feel anguished” is not usefull at all...
    He can’t understand my feeling at the moment that I cut myself. He thinks that just saying to myself “it’s okay, there is no reason to be like that and to do that” can calm me down...
    But for me, it doesn’t work... Am I a weirdo ?

2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Its possible, over time, to teach yourself to stop. I've taught myself to stop over many of my old coping behaviours, cutting/burning being some of them. Sure I fall back once in a blue moon, but for the main part it is truly possible. I have faith in you. If you really want to, you can. You're not a weirdo. Not at all.

3. Gobou

Gobou Member

Thank you for you answer... It cheer me up^^
    I think that I was too hardly thinking that I couldn't do that, that I failed... But I will really try the next time...
    And it's reassures me to not being the only person with this problem.

4. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

you have to take it a day at a time. the thing about cutting yourself is that most people do it whenever there pissed or sad. and that is bound to happen again and again and again. i think in your case its a matter of finding a good vent. your parents wont understand unless they want to. most people that ive known that found out about friends cutting were either like "shes a pussy..." or " shes doing it for attention." youd be suprised at how many people that dont understand.

its possible man, you may not think so but it is. i had terrable addictions to things in my past that werent supposed to be addictive at all. mental addiction is STILL a terrable addiction that cna be hard to come over. but it helps to have somebody there for you. can you pull one of your rents aside and talk to them about it? give them information on cutting and ask for there help to stop? i know this seems like a BIG step, and impossible to do ast some point, but there still your parents man.

correct me if im wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.