Do Meds Help?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by LFW, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LFW

LFW Member

Hi All,

Was curious if meds have helped anyone curb their suicidal feelings? I've had lifetime depression issues and have been able to deal with that, but I have had some pretty hefty personal problems dealt to me in the last year. My psychotherapist finally has talked me into seeing a psychiatrist on Monday, who is suppose to prescribe me some meds.

I'm the type that rarely even takes aspirin for a headache, so this is a ginormous step for me.

What do I expect? Are these meds going to really make me feel any better?

Right now the pain is so great that I just want to die. I hate feeling like this. This isn't like me. These thoughts of self defeat, self hatred and self destruction are maddening. I wish I could make them go away, because I have so much to live for. I'm actually really kick ass at life and I have a lot of good things going for me.

I'm just very frustrated right now, and trying to get over this hump.

Has anyone else been in the same boat, where they have all of these thoughts against their will? Any success stories with AD medication? I've been seeking help through a cognitive behavior therapist for the past five months, and that is helping to a certain extent, but the progress is painstaking. I'm nervous as hell about this upcoming psychiatrist session. Damn.

2. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Welcome to the forums, LFW!! :arms:

I've been on one antidepressant med before (Pristiq 100 mg) that helped alleviate my suicidal feelings and partly helped me stay well enough (without constant suicidal ideation) to stay out of the hospital. It can help some in my experience, as I haven't been in a hospital since late March. Good luck at your psychiatrist appointment, and let us know how it goes!

~ Speedy
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Meds can help. Like any oter process, it isn't easy. They aren't a quick fix or anything. Usually, the take about 3 weeks to get into your system, so you probably won't feel any results during that time frame. But the best thing to do is ask your doctor all the questions you have, about how you should feel and what side effects you can expect. Sometimes it does take a while to find the med that works best for you, so try not to get discouraged if the first one doesn't work.
  4. sippingtea

sippingtea Member

It's somewhat of a bizarre issue really. But my first piece of advice would be to get over your weariness of medication. It's ok to be generally, but given how shitty you feel I'd say it's almost irrelevant at this point.

Haven't taken medication, but I've done some odd bit of research about it. They generally work by increasing the serotonin levels in the brain. The problem with this, is that scientists aren't exactly sure why that sometimes work. Low serotonin levels causing depression is pretty sketchy, and the whole evidence for it is that increasing serotonin levels works a good deal of the time. But you wouldn't call the cause of a headache a lack of aspirin, so it's a bit of a mine field.

Studies about anti-depressants find that they work somewhat better than the placebo effect for mild depression, and do wonders for severe depression. But it DOES take a couple of weeks to kick in, but generally speaking the results are positive. As someone mentioned though, it's not the be all and end all. Cognitive therapy is said to be pretty effective at dealing with depression, and even if you say the progress is slow, it is still working by your own words. Consider that if you had been left alone with your thoughts, you could be having some quite nasty thoughts and states of mind.

Sorry for writing a lot, and filling the first half with irrelevant information, just knowing how something works sometimes makes people feel more comfortable with it. But I repeat results are generally positive, but people do generally go in with a quick fix attitude. Emotions don't work that way.
  5. sadhart

sadhart Well-Known Member

for me personally, no, they did not help. More so, I did not like the stigma and labels that came with taking those type of meds.
  6. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

Meds did help for me, but they take awhile. It's not like once you start taking them, you'll suddenly love life, and want to paint rainbows in the sky. It's a combination of meds and you mentally wanting to get better. It's like a partnership, and it takes patience.
  7. LFW

LFW Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. I guess I need to realize there is a bit of a twofold problem that I am dealing with: 1) my depression and 2) my suicidal thoughts.

When my depression hits, my suicidal thoughts increase, because I end up having a 'defeatist' attitude. I get so pissed off at things I cannot change and I just want to end it all to make the pain go away.

I was feeling pretty fucking rough yesterday. On a scale of 1 to 10 with wanting to end it all, I was probably about an 8. I think I'm back to a 5 or 6 today, which is manageable. I can work with that.

I had an appointment with my therapist and she mentioned she was concerned about how quickly my mood 'sinks'. She asked me what went through my head when I get this way, and I outlined the really fucked up situation I am currently dealing with in my personal life. She mentioned that no amount of therapy can change those facts, but I can change my perceptions about them. She mentioned my intelligence and sense of humor will go a long way with healing. There is hope.

So... I guess next week I am going to go in to see a psych and get prescribed meds, which will replace the booze that I've been enjoying so much. I am going to miss my scotch...

I'm letting go of my own concerns about the stigma associated with seeking help for my mental illness. I think I've reached acceptance about that. I can't help it that mood disorders run rampant in my family. I can't help it that I've been dealt some personal blows that have pushed me to the brink of wanting to end it all to make the pain go away.

I think I'm at a point where I need to start living my life for ME. I've given so much. I've made so many sacrifices to make others happy. I've been screwed over so FUCKING HARD. Fuck that.

This is about ME.

This battle is so personal... if you were to meet me IRL, you would have no clue about what is going on inside my head. I thrive in life. I'm funny and personable, and always make people laugh. I have a talent for making people feel good about themselves. I'm successful in my career. I'm active. I'm goal oriented. I'm fit. I'm good looking. I have a lot to live for.

I hope these meds help with the depression if nothing else. I think the ultimate key to mitigating my suicidal ideation will be reframing my thoughts with the help of cognitive behavior therapy.

Thanks again, folks. I appreciate your feedback on this forum.

8. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

Dont do drugs they say, meds are drugs
    maybe you may feel 'better' at the beginning but not the way to go, always go alternative
  9. LFW

LFW Member

LillMy8989 - what alternatives are there? Maybe I don't know all of my options. I would definitely be open to any alternatives available. Thanks.
  10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey LFW, Don't get discouraged if at first the meds don't help.. The Pdoc will have to make changes and increases in doseage to find what works for you,..I am currently back on my first med at a high doseage..I s=currentk=ly take seven meds,,But I have other problems, Good Luck!!
  11. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

yes they are gonna help but beware some substances will take a long while before they become effective and well it can be so nice to be on these pills that they become addictive. its my personal believe, and nobody supports me on this so dont believe me, that meds should be short term sollution to help you get back on the right path in your life. to put some gas back in the tank and then become self-reliant again. but dont believe a word of what i say im just an idiot, listen to your dr and he will get you the right treatment
  12. LFW

LFW Member

lullo - you are not an idiot, what you are saying is perfectly valid. Addiction is a good thing for me to keep in mind, because I have had issues dealing with addiction with other substances. My therapist was initially thinking about 6 months of AD's to get me over my hump. We'll see what the psych says Monday. Thanks for your input.
  13. LFW

LFW Member

Ugh... last night was really bad. I was extremely drunk and pegging the meters on suicidal/homicidal ideation. I was making decisions about putting plans in place to take out the guy who fucked my wife, and then take myself out. I can't think like that. I think I need to cut the alcohol out of my diet now, or someone is going to die.

Fucking miserable most days. Sometimes I just hate my life.

So much anger... so much sadness.
  14. mytime

mytime Active Member

FWIW, the studies show that, for most people, meds do eventually help. They take time and sometimes you need to try more than one. A very rough rule of thumb is 2 out of 3 people are helped by the first med they try, then 2 out of 3, of those who weren't are helped by the next, etc. But you must wait for the effect (often 6-8 weeks) and they generally have negative side effects.

Good "talking therapy" also has about the same success rate but takes longer. It also has lower relapse rates after it's withdrawn when compared to medication. But there are a lot of unhelpful pseudo-therapies out there. Go for a registered profession. CBT and/or ACT and IPT are well ranked in studies. Psychoanalysis ("Lie back and tell me if your mother wore stiletto heals and rubber") doesn't have as strong an evidence base (but many people do find it helpful). Putting medication and therapy together is often helpful, the meds giving you space/clarity to make the most of talk therapy.

For short term benefit, exercise can make a huge difference. Some studies show it as the intervention that most often delivers benefit (but medication and theory often deliver larger improvements). It's free too.

Beyond that, avoiding drugs and alcohol, meditation, eating well, support groups, religion and altruism all make a difference for many people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.