do meds make you numb?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Oceans, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

My counsellor would like me to give meds another go. I've tried meds for a short while in the past; one gave me awful side effects and the next one didn't have much of an effect on me. I don't want to ruin therapy by being numb. we're working on emotional regulation and this requires me to feel and be able to identify my feelings.

What has been people's experience with meds especially their feelings?
  2. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

Made me feel like a zombie. I had no feelings, I was just an empty shell. They did it so I wouldn't be able to express my emotions and bottle it up inside. They thought that expressing emotions especially disturbing ones was bad. Depakote, Seroquel, and Cymbalta were the regular ones I was on. I was taking off Lithium because I developed a skin rash that still hasn't gone away since I been off of it for 6-7 years.
  3. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Valium (Stesolid is the trade name here) made me very numb, no surprise...
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Cipralex just takes the anxiety away so you can focus on your emotions without being overwhelmed i would try meds again so therapy works better.
    therapy with medication has proven to be way more effective take care.
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Prozac, Ablilfy, Xanax, Depakote and not numb at all!

Seriously I feel a real person finally. The Xanax is taken as need at it can zonk me/numb me but the old anti-depressants made me a zombie but not the new age ones.
  6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Zoloft and abilify numbed the fuck out of me.

Also made it so there was no angle on the dangle if you catch my drift.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've found that they've numbed the feeling of panic. Otherwise I've not experienced any numbness. Also, it's well-demonstrated in medicine that therapy combined with medication is the best treatment for any psychiatric disorder so I think you should go for it.
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

when i'm taking my diazepam even if i take 2 a day on the second dose i'm just completely sleepy.