Do others feel empathy yet still feel like giving up?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Zeldaone, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeldaone

Zeldaone Member

I cant be the only "oddball" out there, can I? I can feel empathy for others out there and my heart goes out to them and at the same time, I feel like things are hopeless. I haven't been on here since last year and I have found that rather than improve, things have gotten worse! How I've managed to get thru I'm not sure - but I probably have to give my 3 parrots most of the credit!!! :)
  2. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Parrots are cute. I'm glad you have them.
  3. Zeldaone

Zeldaone Member

They certainly are, and smarter than some people I know! I'd put an image up of Bacardi, my macaw, but haven't figured out how as yet. It's amazing the effect pets can have on one's life - to keep up going when it seems there is no other reason too. I'm so fortunate to have them. Are there others out there who feel the same way?
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

You are not alone in the way you feel. It is easy for a person to see the worth and value for someone else, yet find nothing to hang onto for themselves. i am glad you have your parrots and they have helped you make it through this far. I hope things do improve for you so you can find that glimmer of hope you need. Please take care. :hug:
  5. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I think it is natural to want good things for other people but at the same time not be able to give yourself those same good things. It is really complicated but that is life, I guess.

I totally understand what you mean about your pets. My kitty is a huge reason why I have held on as long as I have. I love that cat sooooooo much!! He is my baby!!
  6. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I have no idea why I'm still here :unsure:
    I can laugh at most things, but in the darkest hours I look at my life and wonder why the hell I hold on:sad:
    Life holds nothing but misery, worry and nothingness :sad:
    But yeah my birds lighten the day as does my old smelly cat...when he goes I may go too.
  7. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

8. ChronoCrusade

ChronoCrusade Member

9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

No usually when I feel like seriously giving up, I couldn't care less about my fellow human beings, in fact, I couldn't care if every single person on the earth just died themselves as I'd be on the brink of death myself, so who cares? When I say I'm 'suicidal' it usually means that I'm in an enormous amount of pain as I'm the kind of person who says she's 'sick' only when she's at the stage of being barely about to function and experiencing bad tactile/somatic physical feelings/'hallucincations'. My social worker knows this and knows that when I say I feel 'bad' I feel really bad and I'm not doing a song and dance for nothing, as I'm one to cope with things very well. I usually don't feel like 'giving up' recently unless it's linked to anorexia or some kind of self-destructive behaviour I feel I have no way out of.

I'm generally very wary of peoples' intentions when it comes to their love and care and 'empathy' doesn't necessarily mean that they care or that their wishes are heartfelt and sincere.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  10. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

I feel what you feel
  11. Zeldaone

Zeldaone Member

I'm thankful to have the "babies" (parrots) too. Thank you so much for your good wishes. It is so amazing that a person would get people that don't know show more concern for them than friends or family. I would like you to know - and everyone - that I and we all so appreciate your compassion. Thank you Gentlelady!

Have a great day!
  12. Zeldaone

Zeldaone Member

Thank you for your lovely message. Pets can literally "save" us sometimes! I am glad you have your kitty.
  13. Zeldaone

Zeldaone Member

Terry, thank you for the post. What kind of birds do you have? Often, it doesn't take much to keep us going, even if its chatting with people on here - it can go a long way. But you definitely have to hang in there..."bird" people are special people! Okay, I'm partial to birds but everyone is special in there own way. And you know what, because I've had you post a reply, YOU matter to ME!!! if nobody else sees your worth, I do!
  14. Zeldaone

Zeldaone Member

ChronoCrusade...can you relate?
  15. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Its weird... i read some peoples posts on here and just wanna shake them. People must feel like that about me though. But I have started replying to other peoples posts on here and actually talking to other people and writing things what they should do or what they could do makes me think about what I could be doing, so it is a sort of therapy by replying to other people. I got really angry the other day about some post that a guy had left about his brother dying. Fair enough I can show sympathy to him, not empathy as I have not had anyone close to me commit suicide. He layed in to everyone saying it was attention seeking and etc. Really pissed me off as of all people... he had an MA in Psych COunselling he should have understood or at least have not written stuff that would trigger other people.
    Being on here has helped me understand a lot, it makes me realise I am not alone (a weird scene from Gothika is now coming to me... my god Robert Downy Jr in that folm is wow) and that I am not as crazy as i feel as the feelings I have are quite common.
  16. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

I feel like that a lot. I keep feeling like I just want to give up, but I feel for other people who are in hard situations. I care about others way more than myself.
  17. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I have much empathy and I want to stay to make world better place, but I'm too stupid and weak. So I may as well jsut do it. thats how i feel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.