Do people deserve to be happy?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by 3.141592654, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3.141592654

3.141592654 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I feel like people need to earn the right to be happy. I may be wrong though. I would appreciate any input on this subject.

Regards,
    Pi

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Yes, I think everyone deserves to be happy, well except me. But everyone should have the right to be happy and have a good life.

3. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I think since humans are born with a range of emotions including "happy," we all deserve the chance to be happy.

Pi, are you perhaps wondering why some people have family/friends, food, shelter, good health and employment but don't always appreciate it, while others struggle hard and don't get a break? Everyone faces good and bad things in life, it just isn't always fair - at least not on the surface. Hard to say what others are really dealing with (good or bad), because we can only know as much as they let on.

4. fransigne

fransigne Active Member

I dont think constant happiness is deserved but I think people deserve to feel free from constant suffering.

5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Who would people earn happiness from? Happiness comes from within one's self. It comes from understanding who we are, where we want to be, what our plans are, etc. Our needs can be as great as world domination, or as simple as just wanting to sit and enjoy the fresh air and sun. Only we ourselves can grant self happiness, or restrict and take it away. JMHO

6. darkdays

darkdays Active Member

psychopaths are happy. dictators are happy. some of the bullies who made my life hell were happy. when i'm feeling twisted i'm happy. i'm feeling twisted. which is a nice change from what i was feeling just moments ago. on a 'bad' twisted day i might cheerfully push a mean person in front of a fast moving bus, and i'd be oh so happy. on a 'good' day i might be happy and sad all at once (it's happened before). what is happiness? an emotion as fleeting as a kiss? a chemical reaction in our brains brought on by certain pleasant stimuli? does anyone really deserve to be happy? wouldn't the world be a much better place if everyone were happy? hmmm. does that answer your question?

7. fransigne

fransigne Active Member

I liked the documentary called Happy. "HAPPY takes us on a journey from the swamps of Louisiana to the slums of Kolkata in search of what really makes people happy. Combining real life stories of people from around the world and powerful interviews with the leading scientists in happiness research, HAPPY explores the secrets behind our most valued emotion."

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Well, what is happiness? Feeling satisfaction with your place in life no matter the circumstance - rich, impoverished, with, without, glamorous or homely, winning or not winning. Of course the former of all those make getting that feeling easier, but I believe true happiness is the ability to be the opposite and finding satisfaction with it as well; not acquiescence, but seeing appreciation and encouragement in every success and every obstacle, feeling harmony with the good and bad. It's being able to be at ease without want.

It's a very rare talent most people don't have. Even though they think they are happy, even the richest, most beautiful, most accomplished people are still destitute yearners inside.

Do people deserve a talent? I don't think so. One can only deserve what is earned. I'm not sure if internal/spiritual satisfaction is something that has to be earned, but if true, then by that logic it can't be deserved.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  9. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

happyness is a right and everyone should have it.

just ashame that so many people miss out..

10. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Of course we do.

I wouldn't wish any level of depression on anyone.

But I don't see why I deserve to be depressed every day and others deserve to be happy.

11. 3.141592654

Wow, I have no memory at all of making this post. Alcohol and whatnot...

Anyway, the post was way more inward focuses than it let on. I don't really envy anyone else's happiness (though I sometimes wish they'd be happy somewhere else) but for myself, I feel that I need to be a good person before I'm allowed to be happy.

In a way, I feel better when things are going terrible for me, because I'm getting what I deserve. Is that a common sentiment here?

12. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Yes, lol, I've been there! :hug:

Maybe it works the other way around sometimes, Pi...Maybe we get to be happy now so that we then do things in the future that show we are grateful and deserved that happiness. :noidea: I would bet you deserve happiness as much as anyone else. *nods*

13. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Do people deserve to be happy? I think we've developed and found a comfortable state and we continue to enforce that environment for everyone as best as we can. I think in society we are trying to set a standard that everyone recieves so they can be happy. Like shelter, running water, food, education/opportunity and communication teachings. Without these things it's very difficult and can be painful to live unless you are conditioned to that sort of environment. So in a sense because we know of the dangers of unsanitary conditions and things counter to what's previously listed, I believe personally that people deserve to have this, so they can enjoy and explore life more fully.

That being said happiness is relative, and somethings that would make one person happy would bore or not connect with another. I personally think the fundamentals to a healthy phyical and mental life are essential to a degree. The rest you have to earn it. Having things given to you is not healthy in my opinion and leads to false happiness which is a disconnection from reality.(unless it's a community understanding)I do believe people should be free from abuse and should have the freedom to explore life. Though that beliefe is a personal expression, there really is no "deservering" of anything besides what we define as deserved. Unless you believe in God or something

14. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

The way I see it is when it comes to happiness deserve has got nothing to do with it.

15. Lost and tired

Lost and tired Well-Known Member

I wish we had a right to be happy. I don't think I am a bad person and I don't think Ive had any major trauma so why is happiness so difficult for me to find. Other people make it look so easy. Its not even just a lack of happiness, I feel complete despair and self hatred. Just because of bad luck and messed up body chemistry happiness is something i don't deserve

16. Ima.robot

Ima.robot Senior Member

LOL. In *reality*... no one deserve anything. Morals and what people deserve are all thought up in the mind. *They are an opinion*.
    Im not saying I dont live with my own personal morals, but to think people deserve anything is crazy, even good people. I would still wish for a good person to be happy, but does not mean life owes them this, just that I would hope they could be happy. I treat people good because its what I choose to do. Life is and always will be unfair, again, in reality.

17. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

Just like everyone deserves the chance to live, they deserve the chance to be happy. JMPO

18. 3.141592654

I like this. Most of the time people say this when the're talking about bad stuff, but I was born in the 1980's, in the western world, into a loving family, without any physical defects. I really hit an unfair jackpot.

19. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That's silly! Of course you deserve to just like everyone else!

I agree that everyone deserves to be happy. No one on Earth has the right to judge whether someone deserves to feel this way or that way.

20. 3.141592654

I think this is true for other people than oneself, but that one can judge about him/herself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.