Votes: 29 46.0%
  • No, but they know about some of the issues that relate to why I'm on here

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Yes

Votes: 11 17.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only person who knows about the issues I have (a friend), knows I use SF, and that's because she told me to use it. I also know that she uses it from time to time because she told me, when she told me to use it.

My family and friends know most of the details about my mental state, that I was suicidal at one point too. What I've failed to tell them is that I still get dark thoughts. I think it's a mixture of shame and just not wanting to stress out or burden my loved ones any more than I already have. I can imagine it gets pretty tedious for them, so I hold back. So no, my loved ones aren't aware that I use this site for support, and I have no intention of telling them. SF helps me, that's all that matters to me.

Jen :)

Flying Fox

Upside-down Hugger
SF Supporter
Told my current therapist; she's pretty cool. For the most part I let her know how I am feeling - I do make it clear that occasionally I still have suicidal thoughts but also that they are not nearly as bad as they were about a year ago, and that sometimes I go to "this forum for people with depression and similar hardships".

I'm just wondering if people who you know in real life know you come on SF, particularly those close to you.
this is something i have thought a lot about, no one knows i come on here.
the reason i ask is I'm considering if i should tell my partner as we have been together for quite sometime now and the long we are together the more time we spend together and the harder it is becoming to hide SF from him. he is aware of the issues i have surrounding the reasons i am a member here but doesn't know about the site.
so i was just wondering if others had told people close to them. and if no why not and if yes then why and also if yes then how did they take it? how did you bring it up? etc
Hi, I'm new here, but from reading some of the responses to the question it occurs to me that none of you should be afraid or ashamed, since when is seeking answers to questions wrong? These are hard answers to hard questions that nobody wants to deal with, but should be dealt with. There are few people in the world that can look in the mirror and accept what it shows them, fewer still willing to try and change what they see, most will hide or avert their eyes. I feel no shame in being here or talking with any of you. Course I don't know most of you, but I'll take the gamble.

PoshInsomniac

Just my psychiatrist. I'm trying to look as normal to the people outside, and sometimes even I believe it. Pretty much only my sisters and the closest friends know of my ...malady. And to be honest, it's much easier for me that way.

Moat

Banned Member
Not one that I see and interact with in person, though some people on-line (gaming website or e-mail buddy etc) do know and one even comes here herself, though we both agreed that we would not tell each other our member names here.

neko-chan

i haven't told anyone.. my family doesn't even know i'm self-harming.. i don't know if they have an idea about how much i'm going through..

Purple_Thorn

I told my therapist about it in the hospital and outside, when they were asking what kind of support I had. They liked the idea of this forum a lot.

I've not told anyone I know about the forums. I've said in previous posts that I've not been diagnosed as depressed and I don't feel depressed or suicidal, I'm mainly here for the help on self harm (I only self harm when I'm stressed or angry). But if my workplace found out I was on forums like this, I probably wouldn't be allowed to do my job anymore.

Unknown_111

Forum Buddy
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I found it in a time of need. It saved my life and that's why I will give back so much. It shows others that life is important. This site has played a massive part in my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I'm just wondering if people who you know in real life know you come on SF, particularly those close to you.
the reason i ask is I'm considering if i should tell my partner as we have been together for quite sometime now and the long we are together the more time we spend together and the harder it is becoming to hide SF from him. he is aware of the issues i have surrounding the reasons i am a member here but doesn't know about the site.
so i was just wondering if others had told people close to them. and if no why not and if yes then why and also if yes then how did they take it? how did you bring it up? etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$255.00
Goal
$255.00