Do people notice?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ride26, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ride26

ride26 Member

The other day my coworker looked at me with concern and asked if I'm okay. This shocked me, because it felt as if he had discovered a dark secret I had been trying to hide for the last few months. I just said umm yeah I'm fine and kinda laughed it off. The same week one of my teachers told me I needed to smile more. Don't get me wrong, I walk around all day with a lump in my throat, but I thought I was doing a good job of hiding it all.

Do people notice your depression?
  2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Sure they do. And the weird thing is that it is usually people that arent that close to us. Good friends and family either dont notice or just dont want to have to deal with it so they say nothing at all.

Depression isnt only something we carry around on the inside. It affects the way we talk, socialize, our physical energy levels, our emotions, even right down to our facial expressions and the way we carry ourselves when we walk. All things that we "think" we are hiding so well. Even if you always wear the "happy" mask. You cant fool everyone.
  3. bluepotatoe

bluepotatoe Active Member

for the most part they do, just sensing your energy.

but then again when I told a good friend about it the first time he look at me with disbelief and skepticism, and said "nah really?"
  4. DreamReaver

DreamReaver Well-Known Member

Depression is easy to hide for me, as it only majorly hits me when i am alone and mind is not occupied, work keeps me occupied, don't have time to be depressed, but walking home from or to work, mind is not occupied so i start thinking. Been sad for such a long time, people actually only notice when i am really happy which very rarely ever happens.

So maybe people have got use to the melancholy me and don't notice the real depression. Whatever they see from me, people, friends, family, never comment about it so in the end don't know if they notice or not.

Everyone sees the illusion i have made of myself, the real me is hidden for no one to see.
  5. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

And that is one of the most difficult things about depression to accept. People who are closest to me, 1 friend excluding, behave as if it's nothing serious and I could get rid of it if only I wanted to. To tell the truth many of them don't know about the suicide attempts, but some do, and still behave the same way.
    What is it? Are they afraid -my brother, not really interested -'friends', or deep down feel gulity after all -my parents, they deny it alltogether and only they know the whole truth.
    At work and other places people are not really interested, which I cannot complain about, actually I'm glad, and I try to hide it, still feel ashamed although I think I shouldn't be, no one should.
  6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

For years nobody did. But they do now.
    I can't hide it anymore. It's too big a part of me. Like the colour of my eyes, I just can't hide it.
  7. PandorasToybox

PandorasToybox Well-Known Member

I know my professors notice...considering one reported me to the counsellor & another one knows that when I ask for an extension it's because I'm having a rough time. Its just the little things people say or do that tells me they know...thankfully not all reactions aren't negative.
  8. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

Oh people notice....they just don't give a crap :(
  9. dostrescuatro

dostrescuatro Member

Yeah, some do notice.

The worst part is knowing they notice but don't do anything because they don't care.
  10. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

Most people are frighteningly oblivious. I'm really sick of people telling me how "upbeat" I seem considering how much I have going on. Then on a day when I *do* seem down, they're all shocked. Or worse...they ask me what's wrong. My life is in shambles. That's what's wrong.
  11. where were you

where were you New Member & Antiquities Friend

Some days I looks so bad comeplete strangers have come up and asked if I need help: while it's a nice gesture, I'm a bit afraid too.
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Nobody's noticed yet.
  13. omgpop

omgpop Well-Known Member

so far only one person has noticed when i'm depressed and she really helps out alot...the worst part is she's moving 6 hours way from me
  14. jacknife

jacknife Guest

All the time, but only from people who don't know me well.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"Why are you acting so weird?"

"What's wrong?"

I just laugh at them; here they are worrying about every little thing, and I'm laughing.

Maybe they ought to be concerned about themselves.
  15. raincloud

raincloud Well-Known Member

When people notice, it IS always people who don't know me well. That's really odd. I've been told four times this week that I'm "upbeat." All by people who really should know better.
  16. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

Unless someone is around me all of the time, I am good at hiding what I'm really like and what ails me. Some people would be very surprised to learn about the stuff I struggle with. They'd be shocked to know the thoughts that live in my mind.

I don't like others knowing my weaknesses and I have trust issues. I feel safer here because this is a place where so many are struggling with similar issues and it's a place for help. I can also be anonymous if I choose to.
  17. KirstyMissJimBob

KirstyMissJimBob Well-Known Member

hmm nope well not really no one beleives me when i say im bipolar manic depressive..... but a few ppl ask me if i am.
    its embarrassing when my own brother asks me if im medicated.
  18. jacknife

jacknife Guest

Oh no, what if I'm labeled as grumpy or even -gasp- misanthropic because I don't bother to plaster on a contrived but deceptively warm smile when I meet new people? What if my handshake doesn't feel firm? What if I don't laugh at a redundant Michael Jackson joke told on Letterman when everyone around me laughs? Then, what if I laugh uncontrollably when the room is eerily quiet and everyone's offended by something that I happen to find hilarious?

I'll tell you what will happen; the world will end.
  19. where were you

where were you New Member & Antiquities Friend

People that I know seem to have a don't ask policy and don't offer help though.
  20. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

most people notice sp. if they were sad in a point of there life.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.