Do people really think..

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by tyge18, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyge18

tyge18 Member

That telling someone that suicide is "selfish" is the way to get them to NOT want to do it?

I mean, wtf? I'd kill myself, leave a note for my bitch of a mother telling her I hope the guilt rots her to a fast grave if I thought it'd be 'selfish' to her, LOL.

But really; isn't it more selfish, not to mention pathetic to just be considering YOUR feelings on the matter instead of ya know...the person who wants to kill themself? I don't get it, that 'selfish' crap would just encourage me to do it. :huh:
  2. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I get what you mean. Sometimes when people are faced with someone that wants to kill themselves they become desperate in trying to get them not to.. That's often a response, calling them selfish. Someone said that to me once and it just made me angry.. Not really a good idea to make someone angry that is suicidal. At least in my opinion lol. I guess it can be viewed as selfish for someone to want to kill themselves but I think it would help the person a lot more if people were more open to talking to them about why and trying to help that way instead of just writing it off as selfish and thinking that works and the person is over their suicidal feelings.
  3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I'd find it more selfish for someone to want somebody to live solely for the fact it might pain them if they die, despite the fact that said person is living in excruciating mental anguish every day.

Out of sight, out of mind I guess.
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

It is both selfish to want to kill one's self and also selfish to want someone to stay alive despite severe mental anguish. We are just naturally selfish beings.
  5. tyge18

tyge18 Member

Why is it selfish for ME to want to take MY life? The life I never asked for in the first place, last time I checked. I don't love anyone, and I can't think of one person I'd be sad about seeing dead, so is it really my burden if someone is more concerned about how they'd feel when I die? nope, I didn't ask anyone to give a crap about me.
  6. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

It's true that you didn't ask anyone to care, but i guess they do.. You may not think it is selfish but they might. They will feel how they feel if you were to do it. You can't change that. But i guess you dont have to care how they would feel. I hope you do consider it tho. :hug:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.