Do people sometimes shake off an attempt?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

About 5 years ago, my sister tried to overdose and she never really talked about it much. When I asked her about it, she just laughed it off and said she was trying to get high. I don't think anyone would get high from taking tylenol and so many. She hasn't really been in touch with the family much since this happened, and I do worry about her a lot. Is it normal for people to sometimes just act like it never happened, or that it wasn't a big deal? She seemed to be less upset about her suicide attempt than I was. Could it be because it's something really serious she doesn't want to deal with, or did she just not think of it as a really big deal?

2. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

2 years ago I had a chance to kill myself because I had a loaded firearm, and of course all I had to do is pull the trigger. However something prevented me from doing it allowing me to be alive today. Because I know 100% that I'd be dead if I did pull the trigger. I try to forget that it ever happened because it scares me but I have to acknowledge it and not blow it off because that's a major event that happened to me. I wish I could take it back and not of done that at all but of course I can't so - that's how close I was to killing myself.

Trevor,

3. Anneinside

Anneinside Well-Known Member

There is no way to know how she is thinking about her overdose. People react to events differently and there is not one right way to respond.

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Wow that's awful, glad you didn't do it and I hope that you won't ever do anything like that again. It just seems weird that she cut off the whole family. I can understand why she doesn't want to talk to certain people, but I never did anything bad to her. The last time my mom called, she told my sis that I was suicidal and she said she'd talk to me online, but she was never on. I just hope that her depression didn't put a big rift between us.

5. Tmacster1

Not very many people know that story because I'm ashamed of it... I plan not to do anything like that again because I won't let my dad suffer another loss. Sometimes it's fear that holds us back from talking. Also denial can hold us back from talking... There's lots of factors that makes people blow it off... My number one fear is guilt because I would leave my dad all alone if I pulled the trigger.

Trevor,

6. Witty_Sarcasm

You shouldn't be ashamed of it, it's something you can grow stronger from and you can help people who feel the same way. My sis doesn't have to talk about the attempt if she doesn't want to, it would just be nice to have her back in my life and be sisters again. Of all my family members, I think she's one of the few who would care how I'm feeling.

7. Tmacster1

I agree I hope one of these days she'll become your sister again and you can be close like siblings should be... Me on the other hand I'm an only child with no brothers or sisters. I guess there's some pro's and con's to being an only child - however sometimes I wish I did have a sibling.

Trevor,

8. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah it feels like I'm an only child though, since I never hear from her. And if you get lonely you can always remember that you have people to talk and support you on here.

9. Tmacster1

That's true :hug: I've been finding this place quite helpful with my loneliness. :) Sometimes all I need is to interact with others. I know it must feel horrible feeling like the only child when you do in fact have a sibling.

Trevor,

10. Null

Null Well-Known Member

My sister did an OD on some medication about 3 years ago. I remember the day. 911 calls, constantly on the phone with my brother in law. It wasn't good. I guess she didn't take enough. So everything turned out ok, but I know she constantly thinks about it. She only stopped cutting because my brother-in-law cannot tolerate it.

About 3 years ago, just before my sisters attempt i had a similar experience to tcmaster1. I had the means, locked, cocked and ready to rock. A friend came by and talked me out of it. To be honest I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I guess times change all the time. Only time will tell if I did the right thing.

11. Tmacster1

Thanks for your stories Arc. I'm glad you didn't give in :hug: it shows that your a strong willed person not ready to give up. I'm sorry to hear about your sister though, and I'm glad that she survived the OD.

Trevor,

12. Witty_Sarcasm

You made the right decision by not killing yourself. I think that choosing life is always the right decision, because things can change with time. It's always been said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and that always rings true. I hope that you will stay strong and find the good in life. I'm glad that your sister is ok as well.

13. Tmacster1

I'm very glad that you did't choose death but instead you chose life which is awesome in it's own right. I literally had the gun at my forehead - all I had to do is pull and lights out. But, something inside me told me not to do it. At least you had a caring friend to talk you out of it. I hope your night goes well, and that you continue to use this site.

Trevor,

14. Witty_Sarcasm

I feel that one reason I haven't done it is because all of the methods scare me, and what might happen if I fail at the attempt. So if anything, to think what might happen if all doesn't go as planned is one good way to stop yourself from trying.

15. Tmacster1

Assuming your found by someone you'll likely be taken to a hospital than a P-Hospital ... That's the likelyhood if you a fail an attempt - and your founded. I find the thought of doing suicide scary - because it really affects me internally... I wish I could just get rid of my feelings...

Trevor,

16. Witty_Sarcasm

Well one reason I won't try it is because I'm afraid of blood, so I guess that's good in a way that I am. At least I would rule out any method that involved that. I wouldn't do pills either because my sister had a pretty hard time after she took them. So I guess that it's good that I'm discouraged from doing anything.

17. Tmacster1

That's true and at least your not going to try any of the ones that don't involve blood. I'm not afraid of blood myself because I plan to be a registered nurse. I also watched MASH to learn more about medical - it's a bloody business... But if I could save a life it'll be worth it in the end :)

Trevor,

18. Witty_Sarcasm

Hey that's good that you want to help save lives, I mean besides the great work you do on here :biggrin: I guess that's why I'm good at counseling, I could never stand blood or guts lol. Even sometimes in movies where you know it's fake.

19. Tmacster1

Yeah haha, I'm not much of a counselor because I know I'm not a professional. However, I'm a good listener and I'm willing to listen to everyone because sometimes that's all they need. Someone to talk to, and yeah I can handle pretty much all blood even the really gory fake stuff. I might go to bed soon... So, If I don't reply that's why... I might go Mobile for a little bit. College got cancelled again so I basically go the whole week off.

Trevor,

20. Witty_Sarcasm

Same here, I am a good listener and I give the best advice that I can. That's good that you have the day off again. Any big plans for tomorrow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.