Do pills really work?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Doubletap, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Doubletap

Doubletap Member

I've been put on Pamelor and Abilify for Depression. I'm not sure it works. It makes me tired and dizzy and I guess.. numb. I have yet to find any usefulness and find it hard to figure out my feeling with my bf who I've dated for over 7 years. It seems I'm not happy until I get other guys to notice me. I've never cheated on him but I'm afraid I will due to the rush it gives me. To make me feel good about myself.

I've started to write down things I can acomplish everyday to make the unemployment not bother me as much. It worked for a while and I run out of ideas. I'm also seeing a therapist. I'm not sure how much it's working though.

Have your anti-depressant helped you? It's been 3 months. Does it sometimes take longer?
  2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Had only negative effects for me.
  3. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

This article may interest you.

Happiness does not come from the validation of others.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I found meds took awhile to get use to but did help take the edge of my agitation the anxiety feeling sort of numb the pain. If medication not working please talk to your doctor as this is the only way doctor can get the right cocktail of medication that works for you. I hope you start feeling better soon.
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

So far mine haven't done much for me.
    The dosage just keeps going up and up-- but I don't feel any different...

A friend of mine is on the same meds and she said that hers took well over 4 months to start to really work.
    I guess it's different for everyone- and you just have to keep trying different stuff?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2009
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you're not seeing results after 3 months, you're on the wrong ones.

There is a large variety of antidepressants and related medications, and everyone responds to them differently.

Further, therapy is about as effective as antidepressants, but has no side effects - therapy in conjunction with medication is the optimal treatment for most psychiatric illness.
  7. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Ja, they work for me. My mind isnt as poisoned by worry and negative thoughts as it used to be, and i no longer cry for no reason.