Ideas & Opinions Do sad songs hurt or help you to cope?

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
In music, there are very many songs that are melancholy and have sad lyrics. Listening to such songs can make your depression even worse. But it has been also said that such songs can help you to cope with your emotions. Is that the case with you? If so, what songs and what specific lyrics and how exactly do they help?

Winslow

SF Supporter
In discussing such Melancholy music, it can get confusing because one has to differentiate between so-called "Blues" music and so-called "Rhythm and Blues"(R&B).
Also interwoven into some of those songs is optimism because R&B sometimes tries to overcome depressive feelings. So even though Melancholy is Gloom but it differs from depression.
There are different layers and different shades when discussing the emotion of the Blues.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Definitely hurt. There are some songs in particular that are serious triggers for me so I never play them. Songs that remind me of certain events and certain people so it would be silly of me to play them anymore. I think positive and happy, upbeat music is the way to go. What I love most about trance is it can make you cry from joy, its a certain type of music that's hard to explain. I could listen to trance for 12 hours straight every day and never get bored of it. *bounce

Winslow

SF Supporter
Definitely hurt. There are some songs in particular that are serious triggers for me so I never play them. Songs that remind me of certain events and certain people so it would be silly of me to play them anymore. I think positive and happy, upbeat music is the way to go. What I love most about trance is it can make you cry from joy, its a certain type of music that's hard to explain. I could listen to trance for 12 hours straight every day and never get bored of it. *bounce
Good, Champagne, that you recognize the triggers.

MichaelKay

For me depression can sometimes feel like something you have to "go through" as in experience emotions and somehow mentally process and overcome. That's ofcourse totally bs and no one can think their way out of a depression by going through emotions. But I think it's deeply ingrained in us that feeling stuff is somehow a way to overcome and music helps with that. Gives us a sense of expressing ourselves we can't do on our own.

For me music is a coping mechanism. A way to feel without thinking. It can ofcourse lead to getting stuck in the emotions for a while and make the depressive thoughts worse. But I'd argue that if we didn't feel we needed that to happen would we even put that music on?

if they're slow paced sad songs they make me feel worse, but if they're fast paced sad songs they help me. I listen to a lot of energetic sad songs, aka rock/metal music that's heavy and energetic but the lyrics are about feeling depressed or alone or anxious etc. I find it very therapeutic, sometimes sing along and feels good to express those dark feelings. Takes the edge off it for me, it feels less heavy and more just like -yep this is a fact of life right now, embrace it, sing along- , like it helps me accept bad things easier.

I say that but sometimes I feel so down I can't face listening to any music at all, I become apathetic to it.

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
They usually help me cope. I guess for me it's taking comfort in the fact that somebody put how I'm feeling into music and it provides familiarity.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Warning: The following material is heavily subjective and written by an opinionated idiot. Exposure to extreme subjectivity can be harmful to your mental health, please read with care.

When music closely matches your emotions, it kinda amplifies it and brings it to the foreground, it makes it easier to feel your feelings. If you are repressed and need to get those feelings out, music can work great as a pressure release valve, on top of this music also focuses your emotions. Emotions are rarely clean and simple, but most music has a clear emotion or feeling to them, and if that music closely matches your emotions, it can focus conflicted or confusing feelings into something less conflicted and simpler to understand, like smoothing a jagged surface.

If you are in lots of pain, that pain will likely be confused and conflicted and the myriad emotions can just cause more stress, playing appropriate music can sooth those painful emotions into a clear and calm misery, providing a release of sorts, the way I see it, its like finding someone struggling along rocky terrain on the way to throw themselves off a cliff and building them a road. The road makes their lives so much easier, but also lets them reach the cliff quicker.

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
In music, there are very many songs that are melancholy and have sad lyrics. Listening to such songs can make your depression even worse. But it has been also said that such songs can help you to cope with your emotions. Is that the case with you? If so, what songs and what specific lyrics and how exactly do they help?
I think it's depend on the listener. In my case, I feel relevant that someone are able to speak about a similar pain and suffering to mine. Nothing from the performance to the lyrics has ever been triggering. It's just normal, like I'm listening to a friend's venting.

For sad songs, I particularly enjoy NF. He is a rap artist. His songs are relatable to me since he talks about his real life issues, like depression, loss and working to be better.

BarryW

SF Supporter
Reading about the reasons people listen to sad music or the ways it could be beneficial was informative. As someone who avoids 99.37% of sad music, I never gave it much thought. I figured people just thought "I am sad so I will listen to sad music". It's amazing you never know what you are going to learn on a given day.

I think positive and happy, upbeat music is the way to go.
As a fellow trance lover I must ask where you find new trance these days. I started having real trouble finding some a few years ago and gave up, which was sad because I listened to it almost exclusively for maybe 5 years.

My short answer to this topic is, personally, I do feel that sad songs will usually put me into a negative thought spiral pretty quickly, so I stay far away from them. There are a few exceptions, but I'm not sure the rhyme (hah) or reason for those being an exception.

Winslow

SF Supporter
This thread is about Sad-type songs but it's also Christmas,so the appropriate song would be this one--A Blue Christmas>

Yes sad songs do help me its almost like therapy for me whenever i need a good cry or when i feel alone or just in my feelings in general heres some of my favorite songs i like to listen to when i feel upset:

Winslow

SF Supporter
Don't know if you call this song dreary or dismal but I often feel this way. That's why the song is entitled "19th Nervous Breakdown."

Winslow

SF Supporter
In the previously-mentioned song I find a discrepancy. Because when I check on the lyrics at various sites, some sites spell it as sealing-wax and other sites spell it as ceiling-wax. Does anybody know the correct lyrics?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00