Do social networking sites depress anyone else?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by BornFree, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

Hi

Just checked my homepage (on a popular social networking site) and feel thoroughly depressed and bummed out!!!
    All those shiny, happy, successful people... with loads of photo's having fun... surrounded by family and loved ones....
    Then I see my sister is commenting on her friends status and not mine... :sigh:

Yeah just wondered if anyone else feels the same way too or if I'm totally alone on this one?

2. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

No you're not alone! :tongue:

The only website I tend to frequent is actually SF. How sad is that? The site I go on the most is a place where SUICIDE is discussed? Lol. :mellow:

I have a mate. Well really just someone I've kept in touch with since leaving primary school. But he was saying I should make a Facebook page.

Lol....

Well, let's just say I'm not the FB kind of person. Like all the people on their are constantly trolling each other, saying random menial shit. Sure, I can SOMETIMES do that - if I'm in a good mood. But I'm not usually in a good mood. 99.98% of the time I'm extremely unhappy(among other things). Of course, this friend doesn't even know about this but that's probly because he's a guy and not an awful lot of 17 year old men are the best 'emotional cushions'(either way, I've told no one how I feel regardless of gender/age).

My sister actually has a Faceboook page. Apparently everyone in my immediate family does. Well besides my dad. He only goes on the internet to check the weather patterns or look up something on youtube/internet banking.

So my sister is usually on FB all the time. She also has a phone with free Facebook so if she isn't on the computer she's on her fucking phone.

I also don't like getting my photo taken. No because of some "OMG THAT FLASHING BOX JUST STOLE MY SOUL!", but because of a few personal reasons. I don't really like smiling. How lame is that? Smiling is so fucking forced that a bloody mug shot is easier. And I'm not a very social person, for a handful of reasons. So EVEN if I made a FB account, I wouldn't really have any 'friends' on my friends list. That would be even more triggering then what my current situation is. "You don't have any friends on FB! How fail are you!" :dry:

Some people just aren't cut out for the monotonous trollfest that is social networking.

PS - Twitter is fucking useless. I have no idea why someone launched it.

3. Fitzy

Fitzy Well-Known Member

I have stopped using fb for all the above reasons and sf is now my site of choice!

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Pretty much. I have no good, shiny life to advertise or brag about, so there's no purpose in being in the social network (which purpose is to advertise and brag about how great you are, and what you're doing, to others). Deactivated my Facebook account months ago.

5. merces letifer

merces letifer New Member

Although I did set up a fb page, I hardly go on there & never update it. It's just a popularity contest. I too don't like my pic being taken which obviously doesn't help, but even if I did, I don't lead the kind of wild, fun, party lifestyle that everyone else on there seems to.
    I don't have a problem with Twitter so much, I actually find it can be quite informative, especially getting updates from the news & sport networks etc. But I'm not such a fan of individuals/celebs.

6. Isabel

Isabel Staff Alumni

Hi Ditsy,

If you dont expect more of SNS than they can provide, it wont make you so depressed, methink. But I understand how it can make you feel at time.

Its good to keep in mind that on social networking sites, people don't post the whole picture of their life. Really, its like a photo album, just snapshots of them at their best.

I met a few people whose shiny facebook page was pretty much a facade for an otherwise lonely, empty life. It's easy to build up a big portfolio of "friends". But in real life, if you have 4, 5 people who really matter, you're doing really, really well. A three hundred facebook friends list does not mean anything.

That being said, SNS also be a great help to keep in touch with the people in your life, friends and acquaintances. In my case, with family and friends scattered over two countries, facebook has been great to swap pics, keep tracks of birthday, etc...But it does not make up for substantial real life relationship. I mean, while I can see the last photos of one of my gf riding her horse in a competition, I have to pic the phone or write her a mail to know how she's doing with her crippling fibromyalgia.

Hope this helps a bit.

7. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

they should probably call it fake book if they don't already.

people put a lot of happy horseshit on-line, because that is the only thing that people can deal with, which is part of why the world is as fucked-up as it is.

also, a lot of people are just trying to compete with each other. 800 friends my ass!

aside from the fact that it just encourages people to be superficial, I suppose it could be useful to connect but mostly reconnect with people.

I would say if you really like using these sites then go ahead, but don't believe the hype and just drop them if they are depressing to you.

sure, there are happy people in the world, but someone who spends all of their time trying to toot their own horn and show the world how happy they are probably isn't so happy

8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I finally jumped on the FB bandwagon, I hate to admit. It's meh. I don't mind -- it means I can more readily keep in touch with people I don't see as much as I'd like. I don't spend more than about 10-15 minutes a day on it, though -- just enough to read everything I want, and send a message or two. I should say, I don't like those people who all try to compete with each other -- it's just immature and irritating. But whatever.

9. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

Yes and If wasn't for the fact that fb Is the only place my best friend and I can Interact, I'd deactivate my account automatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.