do suicides go to hell?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bynsmoment, Jan 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bynsmoment

bynsmoment Member

I am not really into church but I belive in God. I was just wondering if anyone else thought about this.

2. anotherearthplease27

anotherearthplease27 Well-Known Member

.I often wondered if you even tried to take your life if you are headed for hell......

.but what truly does it matter to this life...this is the moment you are living in...

.i hope suicides dont though

3. jnick

jnick Well-Known Member

I think religion(including hell) were invented to control large numbers of people, to keep them obedient. Just look at my comments in the do you believe in god thread. Its all fairy tale shit made up by man for man. Christianity especially. I think spirituality is healthy but thats about as far as I go. Western religion missed the boat, Eastern religions incorporate themselves into the everyday lives of people. Some devout christians may pray all day, but it is a minority. Just look at the carnage. Man made carnage. For what? My god is the real god, etc. Hell is gonna fuck with your head, I was exposed to religion just enough to scare me when I was a child. I think it qualifies as abuse to indoctrinate the young before they can develop any critical thinking skills. I will stop the rant. Hell no.

4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I do not believe in ay such 'god' because like religion, 'god' is only a concept of humanity, to give faith and peace to people who are otherwise too afraid to face the unknown of what death is like and each and every church uses the fear of 'god's eternal damnation and sin to keep their followers in check. The whole thing makes me sick. With that said, I believe in nether a heaven nor a hell, but that is just my thinking on the matter.

So in order to your topical question, no, I absolutely do not believe that anyone who commits suicdes go to 'hell.'

5. bynsmoment

bynsmoment Member

Thank you jnick, that actually helps. I was afraid that if there was a hell and I do this, that I would never see my loved ones again. I think I've seen one to many movie but it did sit heavy with me. thanks again.

6. th3silent0ne

th3silent0ne Well-Known Member

I often thought about this, as a godly believer myself. I have come to the conclusion that despite how God looks down upon suicide, it would not lead us to hell. NOT to use this as another reason to go through with it, but rather comfort. I believe it when God says a sin is a sin no matter how big or small. While suicide would be a sin in God's eyes, it counts no different than any other sin man has done. My belief also shares that God is forgiving of our sins if we ask. Suicide generally isn't casually thought, but rather unwillingly pressured.

7. flowers

flowers Senior Member

complex subject. I have my theories. what I have heard. But no one can know for sure what would happen in their particular case. Or thats what I think. I would write the theories I have heard. But would only do it in pm. And never unless someone asked. I think it is great that people are posting what they think here. I think its a great topic :hug:

8. paulhewson

paulhewson Well-Known Member

I've been told many times, that yes, suicides go to Hell. The reason being you are taking the life God gave you. A life you didn't ask for. Whether I believe that is another matter. I guess that is one of the reasons I never follow through with it. I still believe in a punishing God.

9. Blackbird33

Blackbird33 Well-Known Member

I've often wondered this I raised Catholic and was always told suicide was a grave sin. Now I wonder are some of us destined to die by our own hand. I was given a life that I don't want and I've done nothing but disappoint so is this part of God's plan I don't know. And will I end up in hell right now I feel like I'm already living in my own personal hell.

10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I beleive that we all go to the spirit world where there are other souls waiting to besent back as someone else..This is my own thoughts on the matter..

11. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Complex question and thoughts. Every person has their own way of believing in things (even those who do not believe in God). A thing to remember is that churches teach what they want to, based upon a bible that has been translated over the years by each new king or ruler, and in fact there are many things contained in the original transcripts that are translated today incorrectly. Difficult to know what the real intentions are, based on that alone.

As a for instance, when I was a kid in the Catholic church, they taught us of three places you go when you die: Heaven, Purgatory, and/or Hell. Somewhere between my childhood and my adulthood, however, the church no longer recognizes the existance of Purgatory. HUH? What divine secret information was someone given to change something that existed as a fact at one point, and then does not exist a a later point in time? Me thinks someone just decided, "oh, let's change things around and teach something else today."

I lost my faith when I lost my son - I cannot believe a good God would take a good person and destroy them (and I don't want to hear about "there is a purpose"). Look around the world at the hunger, the hate, the pain, and the disasters... the God I would envision from what I can see isn't too nice a guy. A good God would nurture his flock and help guide them to a better purpose than what we see around us today. That's a bit off topic to the question, but actually my point herein being that if you believe in a God who is of goodness, then how could a good God fault someone for something such as suicide? Don't take that as an excuse to execute your suicidal thoughts, because suicide is NEVER the correct action to take...

These are just my thoughts on the topic and possibly some perspective that is different to consider.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  12. ryan.

ryan. Well-Known Member

any god that would create me to live out my life in pain and punish me for taking active steps to end that pain (suicide) can him or herself go to hell.

13. ShockHouse

ShockHouse Member

In my beliefs which may be contradicting to many here, but I do believe in God. After one of my best friends took his life i asked the same question. I learned that we are thinking of a God who knows everything. He knew where we were in our time of action, and where our heart truly was. He can see all that, he knows our mental weaknesses and he will take those into account in the end. How our heart is in the end is where we are going to end up. But suicide is not the answer from our pains no matter how much it takes over, He can help us in this life.

14. Tired John

Tired John Well-Known Member

Here's exactly where I lose the whole god thing. If this supposed being is so all powerful, magnanimous, and all knowing, why does it take such delight in so much suffering? And would I think that such a cruel being as this, that has these powers, yet sits back and does nothing to mitigate suffering, is fit to judge anyone or anything?

Doesn't add up for me. My belief? Man created god, not the other way around.

15. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

This is where I have problems understanding also. Very accurate questioning of it, Tired John.

16. Count Floyd

Count Floyd Well-Known Member

I'm with jnick and Tired John - it's all a fairy tale to keep people in order. If religion was real, why isn't it all the same? Why is every religion different? Christians will tell you pray to God and he'll answer your prayers but I'm pretty sure there were some die hard Christians on those planes on 9/11 and all they did was spend their last few moments on earth in themost terrifying position possible. No one knows for sure if there's a hell but if you ask me, you die, you cease to exist, that's all there is. Just my opinion.

17. Wysteria Blue

Wysteria Blue Well-Known Member

I do think about this question a lot and have been stewing on many of the answers here all week...

I think in the end, we have to believe that we were created for a reason, that there is some meaning or worth to our existence, that there are some reasons for the natural occurrences and tragedies that will occur. We have to hope for better in the future life; if this one is so very painful and wrought with danger. If most people did not have faith/hope/love...they would die in a puddle of existential depression and despair... We need love and connection...our brains and bodies are hard-wired them (literally). I think God is man's most basic way of accessing this need for connection and that there is some, any reason why we are here and will be here tomorrow..

I believe in God to the degree that we have need of one.

But if we are to have free will, and not be automons or robots...then God would have to let us make choices. Humans are the only creatures with a brain capable of anticipating the future. Thus we can make assumptions about what would happen if this or that were to happen, or if we were to choose this action over another. Thus we do have choices and can some make better choices than others for the continued existence of our race. Thus we also need someone with more authority to give us parameters of what is ok and what is not. We need someone else to make our world society have some accountability.

I personally believe that the God of Abraham is the same God of Islam and Hinduism etc. I don't think there are different creators, but just one that is worshipped by many faiths in many ways as different groups or peoples come to understand God...
    I do believe in a God of light and creation, of love and balance, of harmony and connection...of joy.
    I believe that disconnection, hurt, anger, violence, separateness, divisions, wars, cruelty, lies, murder, jealousy, hatred, and brutality are all Man's idea. I think ultimately, religions were created to prove somehow that our views of God are correct and ultimately, we will be the ones with the chance for a future beyond the great unknown...Death.

I believe that we have to attribute human characteristics to Him, because we cannot understand the infinite nature of God with our brains. I don't attribute emotions to him like "he delights" in the suffering of man. If he does have emotion, I would think it would cause him a lot of pain and grief as to what man chooses to do...to one another and themselves. But everything in nature has balance or an opposite in some way or another...if there is good for humankind, there will also be harmful, if there is light there will be darkness, if there is action, there will be inaction. Nature is the ultimate balancing act of destruction and rebirth.

I don't know if there is a heaven or hell or forgiveness for anything we do...but I think we have to hope that the balance or 'sum total' of our existence does need to be positive...if not just for ourselves, but our future as humankind. Whether suicide is ultimately a force of evil, the unforgiveable sin or just the actions of the desperate in despair, I have NO idea. How do you truly know when enough is enough...or this person's pain is too great to have to bear...or whether what works for you can or should work for me. We all are individuals and truly special and unique like the snowflakes..

Is suicide ultimately about despair vs hope or mercy vs murder? I don't know. I question it all the time...
    So far, hope is winning and the desire for love, connection and life at this point is greater than the alternative. Some days that balance is very, very unstable, and I have to search again for a reason to continue..
    So yes for now I believe in a creator/God...and the rest I don't know and am not too proud to say...I'll never know. I'm no judge at all.
    Do I want something better, some reason..some hope...some faith? Yes...I do.
    Is it a sin to commit suicide? I just hope that all my actions and the sum balance of my life is in the positive range. That has to be enough for me for now at least.

I'm glad for the question and all the responses...I'm still seeking..and hopefully will be for a while longer...

WB

18. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

I am not a very religious person, but I believe we all came from the universe, the stars, and everything is constantly recycling. So maybe we live many lives, on different planets, as different things and don't even know it, until one day we come into a conscious being... but I guess that's pretty far out there for some people. Then it comes back to the number of souls, like new ones are being created when more are born than die... but death is the foundation for new life. And life could possibly come from anywhere. I think for humans to think we are alone is pretty narcissistic considering we believe we can only see 15% of the total universe... and our current mode for seeing other planets orbiting different stars is a camera just staring at a star waiting for a small black dot to pass across the surface...

I also think that if God put us here, then he knows everything we did and were going to do anyway. I think God wouldn't punish us for living. Nobody is perfect, how could he punish one of his own?

I don't know if God exists, so I don't know if hell or heaven exists. It would be nice to believe, have faith in something. But I think I was raised to believe in things that can be explained logically and scientifically, and if God cannot be disproven, then God can not be studied scientifically, therefore it's difficult for me to believe because I have never seen anything first hand that makes me say "yes, I absolutely am 100% certain". Even my own beliefs about being recycled and reborn can't really be studied... but I guess it's a nice thought to believe we're all one in the universe, made from the same stuff, and eventually our stuff will be swallowed by the sun and shot back out into the universe until it gets trapped it an orbit, and forms a rock, and provides life to some microbial organism.

19. xsomewhatdamagedx

xsomewhatdamagedx Well-Known Member

No I don't believe suicides go to hell and I personally think that if there is a god he wouldn't punish people who are already suffering so much.

20. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

I know you're questioning it but.. what do you think?

For my opinon, i dont think it matters. What matters is that someone is feeling suicidal, cause I believe there is always hope and way out of anything that can make someone feel so low that suicide is an option.

Hope you're feeling better xx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.