do therapist have a scale to measure your pain with cutting

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Oceans, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

does your therapist ask you "how many cuts have you done at every session?"

2. mixedemotions

mixedemotions Forum Buddy

My therapist asks me when was the last time I cut or if I have cut since the last sesson. but never asks me how much or how may times. he doesn't ask about the cuts them selves. but asked about why i cut and then asks if i thought it helped in doing it...

One doctor once asked to see them.. and i was like ermmmmmmmmm.....

3. no point

no point Well-Known Member

Sometimes my therapist asks me how many cuts I've done. Mostly, she asks me why I cut and how it made me feel.

4. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I stopped drinking and started cutting my arm.. told my councelor ..she asked how i felt after words seeing the Bl**d and told her i felt nothing.

5. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

It really depends on your therapist. Self-injury is such a grey area right now in the clinical field... There isn't really a set protocol as to how to deal with clients that self-harm...

It's not like predicting suicide risk, where there is a set formula that they follow. It's a bit murkier then that.

6. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

As another side note... Most therapists WILL ask about your self-harm, every session, as a way of monitoring it. It's their responsibility to keep you safe, and to take action of self-harm elevates from simply a maladaptive coping mechanism to posing a threat to your life, either intentionally or inadvertantly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.