Do therapists ever regret taking on patients

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by wastedmylife, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I am seeing a new therapist now and I think I am more for her to handle, it is a free service as she is a student intern but I think I am to messed up for her, she is nice I guess and I have seen her twice and what were supposed to be hour sessions have turned into 2 hour sessions from me talking to much

Do you think she regrets taking me on, I kind of feel bad because she isnt getting paid and she is an intern, I bet she regrets taking me on and I kind of feel bad, I cant stop seeing her because I really have no where else to go, and I doubt she would tell me to go off on my own or see someone else cuz there is no one else to see

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't think there are very many therapists out there who regret taking on patients. You shouldn't feel bad about seeing her, it's her job, or at least will be. She's getting something out of it just as you are.

3. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

You're actually doing her a favor. If she wants to be a therapist, she'll have to learn to deal how to deal with anyone, so it's mutual help, really.

4. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

she probably gets some good conditioning out of me, I doubt she will ever meet a more fucked up person as her first patient I guess it is good in a way, though I may scare her out of being a therapist and she will probably switch majors

5. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

this quotation is so true.

From nothing she has to face real life and real people wth real problems. you do her a service by exposing her to it with your problem(s) and is learning a lot from it. Do not feel bad about it you'd be wrong in doing so. She wont learn anything from healthy people right? So you both get something out of it and it is as it should be. So is the job of a therapist.

As so the initial question in itelf, yes, it can happen that old therapist or shoud i say long term trained therapist regret or ask a client to seek help elsewhere. I am one of them. My problems were the mirror of her own problems and at the end she told me she needed help herself and that in this position she could no longer help me and to look elsewhere. Chit happen even with them, thy are human and have problems just as we do.

good luck and stick to her, you both will gain from this experience.
    granny

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

You and her will form a personal bond, as much as you're not supposed to. She will be very interested in your persona. I think a challenge is necessary to get anything out of any career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.