Do they help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by snowraven, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I have just read a report that suggests antidepressants only work for one in ten people. I started taking prozac a month ago and don't really see how they are going to help because they will not change my situation. Has anyone out there got anything positive to say about taking them. Have they done anyone any good. All they seem to be doing for me is turning me into a bit of a zombie.:unsure:

2. 247j

247j Active Member

I would say that report is correct first of all to remember is most doctors put patients on dummy pills anyway to see if the psychological side of thinking your on a pill will make you better.

But as for real pills I see it like this basically it's a small legal high there suppose to make you feel better by giving you more "happy" chemicals in your brian and body.

To me it's just like getting hyped up on caffine or getting high of drugs (which I don't do and would never recommend)

What am trying to say is pills don't make you forget and don't take away the problems that make you feel the way you feel that's why I don't agree with drugs for help and would NEVER take them though anyone on them I wouldn't recommend coming off them without medical advice and I don't judge anyone it's just there not for me lol.

I have always said the best form of treatment is through an intense action plan support and much laughter, laughter is medicine for the soul :)

So I am not suprised at all that meds don't work for the majority of people and believe me am sure that the small percent it works for that one tenth that it does work for it only works due to the psychological side of thinking that the pills are making them better.

Rick

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

:laugh: yeah I don't think depression pills help so much. The only reason I agreed to take them is because they help curb anxiety, which can contribute to depression. I don't think depression can only be treated indirectly.

4. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

Remember - different people react in different ways, we are not the same :hug:

5. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

i recommend councelling and pills working side by side

6. Alexein

Alexein New Member

I've tried pills.

I tried many types before i found one that works.

So i do agree with the report they only work for one in ten people. But there are so many types that i think its worth to keep trying until you've found one that works for you or you've made reasonable efforts.

obviously try psycho-therapy too.

Will pills solve your problems? absolutely not. Will they help you clear your head so you can solve your problems yourself? they might... gotta find the right one.

I was lucky, i did.

Now I'm still depressed, no denying that. But i ain't two steps away from decorating my room with my brains like i was before.

So i say keep going with them.

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I was on prosac for about 6 months they helped at first then I built a tolerance to them and they quit working. My shrink has switched me to paxil and so far it hasn't helped.
    I agree that you need a combo of meds and therapy to help you feel fairly normal. I have been on so many different meds that they are running out of options. Then I don't know what I will do because eventually they are going to tell me that they can't help me anymore!
    I'm thinking about asking him to put me back on effexor and nuerontin. The combo of the two helped better than anything else I have been on. Everyone is different. I know people who take 2 mgs of xanax four times aday, I finally got put on them and 1mg kicked my ass. I cut them in half and would take1/2 in the A.M. and take the other half in the P.M. I found that was much better. I don't know how people can take them and get high. Just that one time I took the 1mg I was on cloud 9 and don't remember anything I did while on it. My sister came home and found me sitting on the edge of my bed shaking and then later I was carrying aload of laundry to the garage in my underware. She asked where my pants were and I don't remember even saying to her. My point is everyone reacts different to meds. Take Care!~joseph~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.