Do women buy men an engagement ring?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by Petal, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I'm planning on proposing to my boyfriend. Do girls buy guys an engagement ring, I'm confused and I don't know at all... Thanks in advance for replies. have been together nearly 15 months. I love him so much and want to spend the rest of my life with him :)
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't see anything wrong with you buying the ring if you are the one proposing. Best of luck to you both, and the best of happiness in the future :)
  3. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Not usually... It's often the man who takes pride in being able to make the woman he intends to marry feel catered to, and they often go through some planning to make the moment right; men like doing special things that are usually one-in-a-lifetime experiences such as asking a woman's hand in marriage and presenting an engagement gift to their mate; some men will give engagement rings or other items passed down to them by their grandmothers, mothers, and aunts to the person they propose to. But women do propose also, though unusually, and I've never heard of women giving engagement rings to men. Men don't get engagement rings; they get wedding bands. But I guess you could do your own thing.

I'd prefer to let him propose if he wants to marry me - that's usually a man's thing and I wouldn't want to take that moment away from him being able to do; I like feeling asked and catered to. But if you want it that badly and he hasn't asked yet then go in for it, but men usually ask when they are ready... Not sure if they like rings, maybe many do and wear them a different way (in a necklace?). Ask some of his friends for suggestions. If I had to ask a man to marry me, he probably doesn't have the will to marry yet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2012
  4. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

It's not the norm but I did buy my ex husband an engagement ring, it just felt right at the time.
  5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I think the contemplation of this is so lovely...I am the last person who should give advice on marriage (ask my ex), but what he gave me to 'secure' our relationship was a new vacuum (hoover) clearly, you do not want to follow in my of everything to you...I only wish you much happiness and I hope he knows how lucky he is.
  6. Androgyny

Androgyny Well-Known Member

Absolutely! It's not the 1950s anymore. :) Though don't believe in marriage per se, this expression of yr depth of feeling is a beautiful thing!
  7. lotte

lotte Well-Known Member

Congratulations! How wonderful! :stars: Just do whatever makes you happy. :)