Do you avoid thinking about the past? Do you have a bad memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For as long as I can remember, I've found that good experiences give me just a little, fleeting pleasure when I remember them, but bad experiences are very painful to remember, and the mood they put me in can persist whether I like it or not. I think I learned not to think too much about biographical elements of the past, if I could avoid it, when I was in my teens. Good memories might be fun to think about, but insofar as they are about an event in my life, they would lead me to think about other, painful events in my life. A good time with an old friend whom I've now lost touch with, or am estranged from, for instance. Better, then, to just not reminisce. I've never had a great memory, and I wonder if this habit has contributed. I don't think I place things in my long-term memory as much, because I don't rehearse them in my mind.

I've had this hypothesis for a very long time, and I wonder if others have noticed this correlation as well. Have you avoided thinking about your life for most of your life? Do you have a bad memory?

Thanks!

Jack D

SF Supporter
Everyday my friend. The good things I had i pretty much ruined for myself, and i think about them everyday, regretting them entirely. I think its almost gripped my whole life, I'm not able to do anything without memories getting me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$275.00
Goal
$255.00