Do you believe in destiny/fate or free will?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Kohdii, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kohdii

Kohdii Member

I'm not sure which I believe,but the concept of destiny sounds much more romantic to me and generally makes life seem a little more beautiful compared to just random chaos from everyone doing whatever they want.

Which do you believe and how do you believe your current circumstances/moods fit into it?

2. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

I am a free will believer. It forces people to take responsibility for their actions. It also gives me the choice to end my life.

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I used to believe in fate/destiny but I realised it was just an excuse for me to accept all of the bad things that were happening in my life, I figured "it's just supposed to be this way, and I am going to die anyway etc.". I thought all of the bad things that were happening to me would lead to my inevitable demise and 'it was written'.

But I don't believe that at all anymore. I think we pick our own destiny.

4. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

How is it romantic to believe everything is already set in stone?

5. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I believe some things happen for a reason, others we have no choice over. But it defines who we are and the way we think and percieve things, we cannot change certain traits. In a way I believe in fate, I believe certain souls we are destined to met in our lifetime, because we have a connection however small or short.

But on the same hand I dont believe things are set in stone, that we cannot choice the course of our lives, each decision we make leads us down a new path

I guess that sounds a little crazy I know, I tend to have a childlike view on life

sorry

6. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I don't believe in destiny I think we make choices in life and the out come of those choices is dependent on how othes react to those choices we make.

7. Kohdii

Kohdii Member

I believe destiny is more romantic because destiny/fate is synonomous with tragedy. I am a believer in a lot of ancient greek philosophy/mythological beliefs and I just like to believe in fate. I am not using the word "romantic" in its pop culture definition, I am using it as a term of artistic expression like how you would refer to certain writers being part of the romantic era of literature.

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Nothing happens that isn't meant to happen, in my opinion. If you fall into a downward spiral and struggle and find your way out, then that's what was meant to happen. The problem is that humans haven't evolved to the level of knowledge yet to see into the future; so when we do fall into a rut, there's no way of knowing whether we'll get out and what our fate is. And when we never find a way out and end up killing ourselves, I think that too is what's meant to happen, because nothing happens that isn't meant to happen.

9. DarkFantasy

DarkFantasy Well-Known Member

Nothing is "meant" to happen. Things happen in the world because of influence of something else. Things happen because you were in the right place at the wrong time and wrong place at the right time. Of course there's free will. But governments and societies only let you take that so far. You're always free to do anything, just be prepared for consequences to your actions, even good deeds go unpunished.
    On a side note, Belt is that you playing guitar? That's hot. What do you play? I fiddle some, mostly power chords and blues/minor scale stuff.

10. ASolitaryBlue

ASolitaryBlue Well-Known Member

i believe that we all have free will. everyone has free will, and our paths are all intertwined. so while circumstances might arise over which we have no control, we will always have our ability to choose how to react. yes, there are some things that we cannot control, perhaps bc it is the result of someone elses' free will, perhaps bc of something else. but we always have a choice, even if we dont see it.

on a side note, for anyone who's seen the anime, naruto, or even those who havent, the episode below is one of my favorites... the main character is in a battle with another and throughout it they banter back and forth about destiny vs our ability to choose our own fate... "A Failure's True Power" http://www.hulu.com/watch/41359/naruto-a-failure’s-true-power **could be a possible trigger, contains violence/fighting**

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  11. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Totally agree with you there, BUT at the same time people may influence our free will and thoughts, such as a loved one, we may be more biased in the path we choice depending on what we believe in or the society that we have grown up in.

12. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

The fact that you used Naruto to make a point shows you are awesome.

13. DarkFantasy

Over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

Both.

I think there is an ultimate destiny/fate for the universe, but in terms for animals/humans, we all have free will, our own destiny is meaningless, what we do has no effect in the grand scheme of things. So for humans, they have free will.

Humans live only about 80-90 years(average), why do you feel that you are so special to have a destiny? you are just a spec of dust in the universe(and that is probably being generous to your size in the universe) that plays no big role, The earth is probably more of an ant farm, that someone is watching for the lulz, just an experiment.

The only thing humans are guaranteed to be destined for is death, it is absolutely unavoidable, hence it is your destiny, but what you do from when you are born till your death is free will.

15. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

I believe in pre-destiny. Choice is fated. The incomprehensible reality is non-linear and impossible to predict. Small imperfections in our ability to measure conditions lead to large differences in outcomes. Time is the only way to know what the fate of our world is.

I want to say that this is destiny, but that would be misleading because I believe we have individual choice. So we have free will, insofar as we understand what free will is, but I believe that free will is pre-destined. So we live in a world pre-destined for a particular outcome, but we experience it as free will. Do you understand what I am saying?

I am saying it's not either/or. It's mutual. Everything is predestined. We have free will.

There's no way to know whether something is destiny. Only time can answer that question. If you make a choice, and something bad happens to you, it was your fault, but you could not have made any other choice. If you choose to learn from your mistakes and attempt to make better choices, then that's your choice, but you could not have made any other choice.

Also I believe that since our reality is incomprehensible as a result of its non-linear and multi-dimensional nature, you should never judge anyone. What's done is done. You could never be right if people weren't wrong. You couldn't be tall if people weren't short. You couldn't be ugly if people weren't beautiful. You couldn't be holy if people weren't unholy. All you can do is be yourself, and there's no sure way for me to know who you are. People can speculate and make choices about those speculations, but that represents their choice.

Some people may feel this is harsh and indifferent. It is. But I don't think reality was made to reassure us. I think it's more likely that we're insignificant, and that even our universe is just one in infinite universes. All things are insignificant, but we experience them as though they're significant. So we will always want to love and treat each other right because that's pre-destined, just like free will.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2010
  16. DarkFantasy

"Also I believe that since our reality is incomprehensible as a result of its non-linear and multi-dimensional nature, you should never judge anyone. What's done is done. You could never be right if people weren't wrong. You couldn't be tall if people weren't short. You couldn't be ugly if people weren't beautiful. You couldn't be holy if people weren't unholy. All you can do is be yourself, and there's no sure way for me to know who you are. People can speculate and make choices about those speculations, but that represents their choice."

Beautiful

17. Prinnctopher's Belt

I think that everything is what it is. There is nothing that is actually 'good' or 'bad' in the scheme of things. Things happen because they're meant to... what shall be shall be. The concept of free will is an illusion we tell ourselves to give our lives a sense of significance that doesn't actually exist. It's a survival instinct. If one person survives a massive building collapse, that's not a miracle; the formula for their individual fate just put them in a certain place at a certain time.

Nothing you "will" is made by you. We just happen to believe we're in control.

18. DarkFantasy

I disagree. The concept of free will isn't the illusion to give meaning, it's the believing that things happen for a reason that gives the meaning. "Formula for individual fate"? I mean, what is that? The only destiny that exists is what happens. It's not pre-determined. It's determined after the fact. I mean for all we know multiple universes could be existing all around us each one with us in it doing different things.
    That's the beauty of reality. No one really knows.
    By the way, thanks for answering what I asked you.

19. Prinnctopher's Belt

OKay.

I think the point is we all say what our personal beliefs are and there is no right or wrong answer that we know of yet....

20. Raphael1

Raphael1 Well-Known Member

free choice and determinism is complementary. Like hot and cold is different degrees of temperature. Even so is free choice and destiny elements of time/space or consciousness. In one view we see ourselves as small compared to the rest of the universe. Likewise we can see ourselves as hugely important compared to the atoms and cells in our body which by their infinite nature are endlessly complex and intelligent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.