Do you believe in Fate?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Oct 30, 2010.

Do you believe in Fate?

1. Yes. What is to be, will be. One's future can be foretold, and prophecy may be fulfilled.

2. I think that there are predictably inevitable outcomes to given circumstances.

3. I think that all life's events are cause and effect, one's future may be reliably foreseen.

4. I think that the world is too complicated to be able to predict with any kind of reliability.

5. No, I believe in Free Will. Each individual decides his or her own future.

6. Who the hell do you think you are boo? Morpheus?

7. Others (please specify)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Fate is the theory that everything happens just the way it is supposed to happen and all things and events are predetermined.

Do you believe in Fate? well?
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2010
  2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Depends on the scale; the obscenely large is rather predictable (not perfectly, exponentially decreasing accuracy the further you move from T=0) assuming you were able to measure the position and the velocity of every single particle of matter (which you can't without changing them, so technically we can't predict the future by extrapolating the movement of particles, even with infinite computational capacity, but if we magically had the info we needed and infinite computational capacity we could do pretty well).

On the obscenely small scale things are too unpredictable for any meaningful extrapolation; in fact at the planck length and smaller things are so unpredictable nothing can really be said to exist at all in any meaningful way - too unpredictable.
  3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Was well tempted to put that Morpheus one. :smile:
    No i think we are the first and so we have a free choice in determining are future.
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Let's just say I'm glad for quantum physics because in classical mechanics the entirety of the universe is already set out at the Big Bang... However, prediction was not possible even in that state due to the phenomenal amount of computing power required (the estimated maximum computing power of the universe is 10^80 bits or so).

But quantum mechanics allows for unpredictability, but I'm not sure this is better - things are randomly determined and I still have no damn control over anything!
  5. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

is it fate that boo wrote this thread??? i think the answer is obvious :D:D:D:D
  6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

No, it's boredom.
  7. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

errrr boredom is how fate works ....errr :S
  8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

9. Dude111

Dude111 Well-Known Member

I think both fate AND free will exist

One day when i went out to eat i got $10 back along with my change after paying for my meal... (She didnt realise she gave me an extra $10) -- THAT WAS FATE.....

It was MY FREE WILL to give the $$$ back...... I could have not said anything and made myself $10.. (But that would make her drawer short and i wouldnt do that)
  10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Or you returned it because of events long past and out of your control that turned you into a decent person.
  11. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

My theory is at one point, there was nothing, and so from that moment, when everything started, things started happening, which then had a cause in the effect of what happened next, which then had an effect on what happened next, and so on and so forth, to now, where something will happen and it'll effect what we do, which will then effect what someone else will do etc etc. So I believe in cause and effect, but depending on the personality and person, depends on the effect that will come. So whilst I believe there is some free will for choice of outcome, I do not believe one has complete choice, since something from before making that choice would have taken an effect, that was beyond that persons control.

I also clicked on the wrong thing in poll, I meant the third one, not the second :p
  12. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

What will happen will happen; there is only one outcome to all actions. Cause and effect since the start of the universe. If all facts were gathered at one point, you could calculate EVERYTHING that happened afterwards. This includes behaviour of humans and so-called random chance. But, upon closer inspection, there is no such thing. Toss a coin, he WILL end on one side, the factors being so numerous that it would seem to be random. But it is not. From the angle of the hand tossing it, to the pressure of the air, to the force of the toss, to the slightest dents and dirt on the coin, to the breeze in the room, the bacteria in the air-- Know every factor, you know the outcome.

"Fate" is not decided, it has no reason. There is cause, and there is effect. Neither is there free will- From the manipulated chemistry in your brain, to the subtle psychological tricks, to simple electrical stimuli- We can now see that your brain has decided what to do before you know "you" have decided, and we can change what your brain decides.

Ka is what will be. Not what can be, not what might be, but what will be. To us, things may seem to be able to go either way, but there's a reason it went one way and not the other. Cause and effect.

And if you bring up QP, I challenge you to fully explain it. >: )

If one were to see the future, one could not change it- After all, if what you saw did not happen, it was hardly the future, was it? Not that you could, anyway, since, sadly, there's no magic in reality.

-Edit- And Morpheus was full of shit. "'What happened happened and could not have happened in any other way' -'Why?' 'We are still here'". That's not reasoning. That's bullshit. Not that the Matrix trilogy wasn't full of irrationality and outright wrongness.. :p
  13. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I believe in fate, and as such, I don't lose any sleep over what my future holds. However, there is a downside to this, if one does believe in fate, it would suggest that you are not in control of your own life, and no matter what path you take, your future is already determined.
  14. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I don't believe in fate. Of course I accept the fact of cause and effect, but I don't think the future can always be reliably foreseen.
  15. Dude111

Dude111 Well-Known Member

I also wonder if this may be 100% the case..

Otherwise i dont think psychics would be able to give readings,etc....

Spooky and interesting indeed!
  16. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Wait. Psychics. Real? What? I thought this was serious discussion, or at least quasi-intellectual. But psychics?
  17. Digital Angel

Digital Angel Well-Known Member

Free Will is silly to me. It's enough to feel that I am free, even though I am not, and no one else is.
  18. Digital Angel

Digital Angel Well-Known Member

I didn't mean for that post to sound arrogant if it did, I don't believe we do, but I suppose we could, but it's not something I subscribe to. Love you guys even though I don't know any of ya!
  19. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I REALLY, REALLY, want to. I believe my life will be over soon, and I want to believe that God is purposefully doing things to me and my life in order to give me the motivation to commit suicide. I want to believe that God, for whatever reason, wants me to leave this world and go to Heaven now.

I want to believe that all suicide as well as murder victims die because it is their destiny. I want to believe that their is some greater purpose that these innocent, lost souls will serve in some other life. I want to believe that decent people die for a greater purpose.
  20. poison

poison Well-Known Member

i haven't looked into determinism v. free will, but from what i do know and from what i've observed, i seem to be a classic compatiblitist. it's an interesting subject.

i should note that from a psychological standpoint, your ability to choose and act upon free will < your external factors, upbringing, environment, socioeconomic status, previous experiences, etc etc etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.