Do you believe in God (or any higher power)?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, May 21, 2009.

Do you believe in God (or a higher power)?

1. Yes always have

7 vote(s)
  2. Yes though I once didn't

4 vote(s)
  3. No never have

15 vote(s)
  4. No but I once did

11 vote(s)
  5. I don't know / Maybe

7 vote(s)
  6. I believe in something else (ex. some Pagan, Aminist, Spiritualist, etc)

5 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I figure that with all the religious discourse going on that this would be an appropriate poll :p

Do feel free to include any personal experiences as well as reasons for your faith (or lack thereof). And lets try and be civil about it, myself included!
  2. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

Never have. I do believe that the universe is way more powerful than most people think. Our lives are dictated by these forces but they are completely natural and uncontrolled. I feel like if i were to worship something, I would be in captive. if a god is really so loving, why would he want everyone to worship him? (those who don't shall be tortured for the whole of eternity) Seems like a dictatorship to me
  3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

No, never have.
  4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I believe in God, but not as an entity who can get angry or jealous like in the Bible.
    It bugs me that whenever people say they believe in God it's automatically the God of the Bible.
    I believe that God is pure love, the essence behind everything in the universe.
  5. Zurkhardo

Very well said on both your parts. Pad represents a far more rational, less material perception of reality, whereas Spencer is a more level-headed believer of God, beyond the stoic Judeo-Christian interpretation.
  6. shades

shades Staff Alumni

No, unfortunately, I don't. I say unfortunately because those that do (the ones I know anyway) seem to be quite a bit happier as they see disasters or terminal illness as gods will or a test of some kind and do not become as upset about it as I do.

I had a very close friend who was quite miserable due to his alcoholism. After attending AA and going through 12- step and handing his life (and problems) over to god (or higher power) he became quite content, almost literally overnight. Every time I speak with him, he always tells me that the only way I will ever be truly happy is to accept a higher power as my savior.

I just don't see how it could possibly be that easy.
  7. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I never have but I've had a recent experience that has led me to believe otherwise.
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Science. Although I can never prove a negative - that god does not exist - I can show that the universe can be comprehended without a divine hand. Occam's razor cuts God right out. If there is/are god/s, I imagine they really couldn't care less about us. They might not even know we're here.
  9. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I don't know what I believe in. I constantly change my mind about a potential higher power. There's no way science can prove that there's no higher power if they can't even figure out how to cure diseases that keep popping up. There's no way that religion can prove that there is a higher power as well.
  10. Lovecraft

Science can't prove anything. People tend not to actually be aware of the goals of the scientific method. Gravity is as much unknown as God - at least the ones with prescribed traits like the Judeo-Christian god or Allah. Particle theory is just as subject to scrutiny as ESP. The goal of science is to test anything that can be tested, form an idea about what the results mean and to test them tirelessly to see if they change. Nothing is proven, because there's no knowing if the results of a test will change the next time it is done.

The opinion of science is that the gods of major religion are in contradiction of natural laws of the universe that have passed the test of rigorous scrutiny time and time again, and that - on a more historical front - the books attributed to be their word are in contradiction with testable history and also recorded history. Ex. Age of the Earth, Noah's Ark, and Jews being enslaved by Pharaohs.

Now, science could never test for gods - not all of them, anyway. There are an infinite amount of gods one could create! The idea of science is that if you can't test it, as you can gravity by tossing a ball in the air, it isn't really prudent to believe it. If it can't be tested, and the other theories are doing just fine at explaining it, then Occam's razor forbids believing in it. If you believe there's a god because science can't figure this out or can't do this, it's a god of the gaps. Science has managed to lead people in places nobody ever though it would - even the researcher. Just because science hasn't got a viable theory on the table yet, does that really necessitate a god? IS it really so hard to just say "I don't know."?

There. Now we all have the scientific take on the divine. You will now be returned to your regular programming of what you have faith in.
  11. pit

pit Well-Known Member

When you say pure love, I picture Leonard Nimoy chanting pure energy. Anyway, I thought the essence behind everything in the universe was pure chaos and murder.
  12. fromthatshow

Heh yeah. But it depends on how you look at the world. And I don't mean to search or notice the "good things in life." Because all the "good things in life" are subject to the laws of chaos and murder as well. I'm talking about looking upon a chaotic world with love and forgiveness.

The observer always has an effect on what is being observed. When we look upon the universe and see chaos and death, that is because that's what's happening on the inside. When we forgive the world, and look upon it with love, the world begins to change, because what is being perceived is always affected by the perceiver.

At least that's how I see it. :heart:
  13. Zurkhardo

Very good point. However I wager that most people believe in faith because of science, not in spite of it. Granted, early religion was in many ways an attempt to make sense of a world in which the scientific method was primitive, if even existent (though one could argue that Islam, Hinduism, and Chinese traditions were somewhat exceptional due to scientific progress still being prevelant).

I don't mean to speak on behalf of all those of faith, but I think the idea that there is no higher power to watch over us, that there is no eternal place of joy in which we'll join our loved ones or in which the evil will be punished, is what makes religion so subconciously appealing. For many people, science represents a world of chaos and cold logic as much as wonder and knowledge.
  14. Lovecraft

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
    ~Carl Sagan
  15. Zurkhardo

Indeed. But when the truth seems less pleasant than the delusion it comes down to what one would prefer. For you or a man like Sagan, accepting reality for what it is would be the best and most fullfilling path. But for many, it'd be quite the opposite. Though all that's a whole other discussion.

Then again not all faith revolves around subconcious fears of the 'scariness' of reality. It's hard to determine why, but something enduring remains about religion and belief in the 'otherworldly.' Most people in the world are still religious, at least nominally, and yet many of them still cocurrently believe in scientific facts as well.
  16. ~Tosh~

~Tosh~ Forum Buddy

used to, dont anymore...
  17. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Nah, as George carlin would put it. "In any decently run universe this guy(god) would have been out on his all powerful ass a long time ago."
  18. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I believe in a god and Goddess.
  19. Soda

Soda Account Closed

once did (my family is christian). but after a while of getting used to reality, i have become the only one in my entire family who doesn't believe in God.....
  20. fromthatshow

Unless our universe is a delusion itself! :)

If God were the creator of this universe than God would be one sick dude/ordudette. The God of the Bible created the universe in seven days supposedly. But why is the God of the Bible the ultimate say? Just because so many claim it to be? There are many interpretations of what God is or isn't. I do not believe God created the universe, but I still believe in God.
    Like the above quote, I believe the universe itself is our delusion, not God's. That God knows where we belong in Heaven, but that we can play in our self-created delusion as long as we want.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.