do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by binbomsj, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. binbomsj

binbomsj Member

I know its a touchy subject, and I'm sorry,but it seems like the bulk of my issues began after I lost faith. Maybe I began feeling alone after I let go of the notion that God was always there for me. And I wonder, has your beliefs help you through hard times?
  2. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Yes, I do & yes it has. It's helped me when I've felt incredibly alone and hopeless, though I wouldn't say it has solved all of my problems for me. Only I can really do that. I don't think people should start believing in God for their own personal gain in terms of their problems though, but because they do actually believe in it. Whether it ends up helping their problems or not, is simply something additional. Plenty of people manage through on their own without any faith or beliefs in any kind of God, after all.
  3. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

Yes I do, and its a tremendous relief for me as it feels like actual relationship, its when I forget that the relationship is there that I tend to suffer the most.
  4. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

yes i do but i am slowly losing faith...
  5. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I used to.

Stopped about the same time I realized that santa and the tooth fairy weren't real.

Just outgrew it really once I had a better understanding of the earth around me.
  6. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Like Fawkes said, my believe went away like Santa and the Tooth Fairy. I am still very neutral though, not too against God, so I'd say I'm an agnostic.
  7. No, I do not have any gods. I am a pagan of my ownkind and that simple means my view of life. I think my nature believing more like push me kill myself because I am so hopeless all of that species killing and pollutions. People treat animals and nature very bad and I am pain because of it.
  8. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

i most definately believe in God with all my heart and soul. he has helped me more than i ever could of imagined. he is so loving, gentle, compassionate and understanding and that list can easily go on. i hope and pray that he reveals himself to each and every one of ya because he really does love each and every one of us with all his heart. i can't express that enough or strong enough. i know many of you don't lean in this direction and to me that's rather sad cause there is nothing like leaning on him. he has always taken care of all my needs even in my most stubborn of times when i wanted nothing from no one. he has always come through even when i least expect it which to be honest is usually the case. i wish everyone could find the peace i have found in him. he is my daddy and the best one out there without a doubt. take care
  9. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've believed in God since I was little when my daddy first told me who Jesus is and that he died on the cross for our sins, was buried, and rose from the dead on the third day. Jesus then ascended bodily into heaven to prepare a place for those who believe in him. It is by faith in Jesus that we have salvation by the grace of God.

My relationship with God has been either distant or close during my life. I decided to study the Bible for myself because I was angry that people said different things about the Bible and I had no way of knowing who was right.

I gradually sought out a closer relationship with God when I was in my 30's. I'm sure glad that I did. He has kept me safe through all of the really bad stuff I had to deal with, including my suicide attempts.

Once a person starts to cultivate a closer relationship with God, it is incredible how much our perspective of life changes so much. It is also wonderful when I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit. There is nothing else like it.
  11. CloudCatching

CloudCatching Well-Known Member

I do, even if my faith tends to swerve a different direction at certain times I've never lost it completely. Though, I do admit I tend to express my hate for him more times than I do love... Which I'm slowly stopping after realizing that most of my problems are my own fault.
  12. thl

thl Well-Known Member

I have my own customized religion. well, it's more like "there's a superior entity that created everything at the beginnig and then it stopped caring about everything". I absolutely don't like in religious enterprises (vatican above all), but I respect other's opinions, so it doesn't really matters
  13. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Nope. I kinda enjoyed going to church as a kid, but nothing that was said in there ever really stuck with me.

On the other hand, I do have a strong, loving, spiritual relationship with a certain metaphysical, intelligent being; but she's definitely not what I or most other people would consider a god.
  14. hurttoomuch

hurttoomuch Member

I do believe in God and a personal relationship. I feel so limited in that I want to be more like those who seem to get such comfort from it. :stars: For me, I know the promises are there and I feel His presence, but I'm too tired of all this to gain comfort. The hard part is that I really have no desire to have my spirit live forever, believe in assisted suicide, and this is contrary to my religious beliefs. So, it feels like being in a family that I'm not that happy to be in, but I have no choice..
  15. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

A question to believers:

Why is it you believe what you do? Does your religion make the most sense of all other possibilities to you and do you approach it with skepticism? If someone brought you proof that there is no god or that some other religion was the correct one would you change your beliefs or would you plug your ears and sing? My foremost problem with religion is that most I know seem to believe it simply because they are told to by their parents and I find that kind of sad, especially in this age of information where it makes them ignorant by choice. I can respect it though if it's a conscious and informed choice to believe, despite my being critical of such beliefs.

I think the idea of god is very novel and REALLY wish I could believe in it but how can I without scrutinizing it to the point where reality shines through that bubble? Or perhaps I am too far gone in that I already know that there is no god? I mean, maybe I could believe if my atheism was a result of some sort of "god wouldn't let this happen" type thing instead of a "wow this is so obviously not true" type of thing.

NOTE: My questions are not intended as sarcastic or condescending, I seriously want to know people's answers to that.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2010
  16. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I stopped believing in God when I was about 8. It beggars belief why so many intelligent people can put their faith in a book of ancient myths and legends that should have been discarded centuries ago. Throughout history, religion has been responsible for a large proportion of the suffering in the world. God isn't real, he is a fantasy to help people get through their lives. The belief in God should be relegated to the same bin as Santa, Easter Bunny and The Tooth Fairy. Get real people.
  17. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Not to be blunt about it or anything. :laugh:
  18. losthope

losthope Well-Known Member

No, but I did for some years in the past when my mind used to dwell all day in fantasies, but now I consider that so silly as my belief in Santa when I was a kid.
  19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Nope. I beleive in the great spirit...
  20. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I am a Sethian Gnostic. If you have an questions, look them up in Google.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.