Do you believe in life after life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

corral

Hello everyone,
id like to ask what you believe happens after we die? Or if anyone has any stories about it, knowing something, etc.
Sorry if this has been asked, i dont see though.
Thanks

L

left behind

i wish i could believe in an afterlife. it would make life seem far less pointless. i envy those who truley belive there is a god. i wish i could have that faith.

S
The problem with this question (I think) is that we're trying to describe something using words in a context where words and human concepts really shouldn't apply at all. I believe it's pointless to try to explain anything beyond death, because our human comprehension and communication is far too limited to connect with such concepts. Our thoughts, ideas, words, etc. all need the properties of life to exist. Existence itself is part of life, death in its true form can only be recognized as the absence of life, and speculating further is to either fall into semantical nonsense or create fiction. (often with ulterior motives for doing so, ie. authoritative reinforcement of morality, etc.)

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I believe there is life beyond this life we're living now, just don't know what form it'll take and how we'll "live" this next new life. But I do believe that this life on earth is not the only one - there's not enough chances to do good and we make so many mistakes, there's got to be a chance (next time) to make up for our mistakes and wrong-doings. I can't PROVE there's any sort of life after death, but I can't disprove it either, so I believe it because I want to believe.

least

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
I personally actually hope there is a life after life, that there is reincarnation or whatnot. I dunno, I find it strange to be just put here for one life and then be taken back to god or what ever divine force just like that. Heaven and hell must be getting very crowded if thats true.

Its just strange that some beleive in an afterlife and some do not, such different opinions and we may never find out which one is true, its all so confusing, I wish we could know what comes after death.

R

Raven

I think their is, my worst nightmare is to live forever and I have been scared of it all my life. I think it is much more a curse then a relife to belive in life after death.

S
If you believe in life after life, do you believe in life after life after life? How about life after life after life after life, or life after life after life after life after life? Personally, I think life is just life, and that's life. =)

lymeinside

I am pretty scared of what happens when we die. I don't know if I want to find out...

I think that if I was sure we would start a new life, I would want to start it as soon as possible... :wink:

LetItGo

Staff Alumni
Mmm ive had at least one really powerful experience that says past lives are real, and I guess I believe in ghosts and demons.

But everything else tells me no.

Mmm ive had at least one really powerful experience that says past lives are real, and I guess I believe in ghosts and demons.

But everything else tells me no.
Wait.. are we talking about reincarnation or a spiritual after life?

Because I believe in both reincarnation and a spiritual after life. I don't believe in a vengeful, jealous god.. Nor do I believe in a hell or any kind of spiritual judgment.

I believe reincarnation is a tool the gods (Mother & Father) use to help us perfect our souls.

I believe the spiritual after life is not a reward but is yours by right.

I could go on and on about my personal beliefs but I'll try to stay on topic.

P

ProzacDeathWish

Some of you here seem to be doing nothing more than employing an attitude of "this spiritual concept pleases me, therefore I choose to believe it as true".

That's hardly the sign of a deep thinker.

"Man is certainly stark mad: he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen." Michel de Montaigne ( 1553-1592 )

L

lostcat95

I came across this story...

Who Was Your Child in a Past Life?
My son's spontaneous past life memories led him to relive his anguish on a battlefield--and confirmed my belief in reincarnation
By Carol Bowman

At age five, Chase Bowman displayed an overwhelming and inexplicable fear of certain booming noises. When a hypnotherapist and friend of the family (Norman) visited his parents' house, Chase spontaneously recalled a battlefield scene without undergoing hypnosis. Here, his mother recalls the shock of hearing the story of what she came to believe was her son's past life.

"Sit on your mom's lap, close your eyes, and tell me what you see when you hear the loud noises that scare you," Norman gently instructed Chase. I looked down at Chase's freckled face. Nothing could have prepared me for what I was about to hear.
Young Chase immediately began describing himself as a soldier--an adult soldier--carrying a gun. "I'm standing behind a rock. I'm carrying a long gun with a kind of sword at the end." My heart was pounding in my ears, and the hair on my arms stood up as I listened. His 9-year-old sister Sarah and I glanced at each other in wide-eyed amazement.

"What are you wearing?" Norman questioned.

"I have dirty, ripped clothes, brown boots, a belt. I'm hiding behind a rock, crouching on my knees and shooting at the enemy. I'm at the edge of a valley. The battle is going on all around me."

I listened to Chase, surprised to hear him talk about war. He had never been interested in war toys and had never even owned a toy gun. He always preferred games and construction toys; he would spend hours at a time happily building with blocks, Legos, and his wooden trains. His television watching was strictly limited to Sesame Street and Mister Rogers, and none of the Disney movies he had seen depicted war.

"I'm behind a rock," he said again. "I don't want to look, but I have to when I shoot. Smoke and flashes everywhere. And loud noises: yelling, screaming, loud booms. I'm not sure who I'm shooting at--there's so much smoke, so much going on. I'm scared. I shoot at anything that moves. I really don't want to be here and shoot other people."

Chase drew this battlefield scene after his second regression, when he was eight years old.

Although this was Chase's little-boy voice, his tone was serious and mature--uncharacteristic of my happy five-year-old. He actually seemed to be feeling this soldier's feelings and thinking his thoughts. He really didn't want to be there shooting at other men. This was not a glorified picture of war or soldiering; Chase was describing the sentiments of a man in the heat of battle who had serious doubts about the value of his actions and was terrified, thinking only of staying alive. These feelings and images were coming from someplace deep within him. Chase was not making this up.
Related Features
Ian Stevenson's Work with Children
Ian Stevenson's Work with Children

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/113/story_11395_1.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Prev Page | Next Page »Page 1 | 2 | 3

Excerpted from Children's Past Lives with permission of the authors. Text and images copyright 1997 by Steve Bowman and Carol Bowman. For more information about the Bowmans' work with children, visit childpastlives.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you here seem to be doing nothing more than employing an attitude of "this spiritual concept pleases me, therefore I choose to believe it as true".

That's hardly the sign of a deep thinker.

"Man is certainly stark mad: he cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen." Michel de Montaigne ( 1553-1592 )

Ouch! :sad:

Really it's no different then employing the attitude of "this atheistic concept pleases me, therefore I choose to believe it as true".

I have seen no proof ether way yet.. have you?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ProzacDeathWish

Georgia Lass, It comes down to evidence or the lack thereof. No evidence, no belief. It's logic, not whim.

I am a former fundamentalist Christian. I didn't abandon my faith because it pleased me to do so or because I received gratification from throwing away my spiritual belief system; just the opposite is true. Don't be too quick to judge my motives.

Georgia Lass, It comes down to evidence or the lack thereof. No evidence, no belief. It's logic, not whim.

I am a former fundamentalist Christian. I didn't abandon my faith because it pleased me to do so or because I received gratification from throwing away my spiritual belief system; just the opposite is true. Don't be too quick to judge my motives.
I was a fundamentalist Christian as well. You might get a kick out of the link in my sig...

Ex-Christian.Net

Evidence does not equal proof. If you choose not to believe because of the evidence you have gathered then that is your choice but to imply others are wrong or simple because they choose to believe in their own evidence is just mean.

Until science proves god doesn't exist Atheism is just a belief/theory, however same is true for the believers as well.

P

ProzacDeathWish

Making critical comments hardly qualifies as being "mean". Criticism does not equal condemnation.

Over and over distraught persons on this forum post their reasons for killing themselves. To save their lives, other members will disect, analyze and yes, even criticise those reasons to persuade them to not kill themselves.

Criticism is a tool....not a weapon.

P

ProzacDeathWish

Evidence does not equal proof.

proof 1 : the evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or fact
2 : a process or operation that establishes validity or truth

evidence 1 : an outward sign 2 : PROOF, TESTIMONY; esp : matter submitted in court to determine the truth of alleged facts

Webster's New Explorer Dictionary, copyright 1999

P

ProzacDeathWish

Dear Georgia Lass, I have made the point that I wished to make and you are free to dismiss it as foolishness if you choose to.
Here's an interesting saying that you've probably heard before:

"Atheism is a religion like baldness is a hair color."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00