Do you believe in the afterlife?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Anonymous2, Jun 1, 2008.

?

Do you believe in the afterlife?

1. 100% No

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. 75% No, 25% Yes

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. 50% No, 50% Yes

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. 25% No, 75% Yes

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  5. 100% Yes

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

Choose the answer that best describes your certainty. For example, if you’re 95% certain that there is no afterlife than just choose 100% No because it is the closest to your percent certainty. Afterlife refers to any type of life or existence after death.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  2. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I’m about 75% certain that there is no afterlife.

3. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I believe there is rebirth thus I do not believe in Heaven or Hell. As a Buddhist I believe that the soul will depart the body after death and then be reincarnated depending on karma. Reincarnation brings a lot more usefulness to living. You can take what you've learned from your previous life and use them in your new life.

Heaven and Hell teach you nothing. The idea of dieing and going to hell doesn't suit me because I know I am not evil. The idea of dieing and going to heaven doesn't suit me because I know I am not truly good or selfless. I would rather have the opportunity to be reborn and have another chance at life to better myself then to go to a place where I learn nothing. Hell is a place to punish, and heaven is a place of bliss. Endless punishment doesn't allow you to learn from your mistakes, and eternal bliss will eventually get boring.

4. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Not if the reality that follows after "life" is perfect.

I'm one hundred percent sure, by the way. I really don't understand those who aren't absolutely sure that there is an afterlife, either... it really is curious. If anyone wonders what kind of afterlife I believe in, I've stated it in the recent thread "What do you think happens after death?" here in the Soap Box forum.

5. pumpkinlover

pumpkinlover New Member

the logic of one believing in a after life is perfectably acceptable. we as humans can not believe in simply ending. its impossible, so its hard to look down at those who do believe in a after life.

i want there to be a after life, i want to be wrong about everything. i want to die and see god sayying "fooled you, heaven really exists. grab a chair". but thats just what i want to happen. what you want to happen and what you know will happen are two completely different things.
    when i go out, i want to come back with a pretty girl. but what i know will happen is i will go to bed alone and at best, wake up with some ugly face staring at me.

6. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

People need to suffer. Suffering is a huge part of life.
    Without the pain there is no pleasure.

Heaven to me seems like a perfect place where nothing goes wrong and everyone is happy. I would get bored quickly of complete bliss because there would be no living. I don't need a "paradise", a "paradise" doesn't help me in any way.

7. starchild

starchild Well-Known Member

In my view, I'm personally 90% there is no afterlife.

Though if there actually was one, I would hope that it was some kind of dream-like existance where there is no pain, no hate, no morbid culture - just a calm, tranquil connection with nature. That would be the ideal for me.

8. I really like what others have said so far (no matter their thought/beliefs) - but especially this ^

Reincarnation has long made the most "sense" to me, since I was child in fact - even though I couldn't possibly have put it into words then. I simply looked at Nature and how things would "die", yet "reappear" in another form - decaying, get new life springing forth from the very place that something had died in. That "energy" never disappears, but manifests itself in another form...

As well, I myself have often very much felt like "an old soul" - with insights (and/or intuitions) that I just can't see having gleaned in but one lifetime. I've also met others throughout my life who seem "instantly recognizable" as also possessing such insights - profound inner knowledge that seems to literally exude from them when you are in their presence. Some may call it "charisma" - but that can be contrived. I prefer to call it 'innate wisdom' and it radiates from such...

Will I be "conscious"? Will I indeed have a consciousness?? Or will I simply meld with all-that-is...I do not know. But I DO know that there is always more than meets the eye (as this 'reality' alone provides endless discoveries, should one look) - and I'm not afraid of this, nor of not knowing...

9. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

we all float off as wasted background heat. nothingness is pretty scary.

10. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

Perhaps afterlife is optional... only for those who want to live forever?

11. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

Depends on what your concept of heaven is. The after life is pure peace yes. You can see any one you've known who has died, and review your life to see what mistakes you made and what you should have done etcetera. Remember your past lives, get all the knowledge and truth you want. Then you get to choose your next life when you are ready or they will give you one.

Karma makes no sense to me when there is no inherent good and evil in nature. Why would God punish some one for doing some thing when they don't know right from wrong. I never hear of any one completely remembering what they have learned in past lives too? You're right about the heaven thing but thats the point of life, we do learn and evolve our spirit and can continue. If you wanted to just keep reincarnating over and over you could. We can know every thing in the spirit realms, but experiencing it for your self in life is important also.

12. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I see no evidence for anything within a human being that is not a material substance. Call it 'soul,' 'ka' whatever you like.

In the absence of this, the idea of an 'afterlife' is simply mistaken.

13. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Voted 50% no 50% yes. I cannot prove the existence or nonexistence of any supernatural being/force nor can I lean toward possibility or impossibility of any posthumous event, so I don't subscribe to/support or denounce any belief set.

14. peach333

peach333 Member

That makes alot of sense. I get scared that if I don't FULLY believe in God and heaven etc. that i won't get into heaven but am I really evil just because I have some doubt.. Why should I be punished for that

15. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

i do believe in life everlasting. i cannot say what this will be like. Maybe it is my own hope that after I leave this hell on earth, I will finally find happiness.

16. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Assuming I'm buried, I believe that my body will decay, these decaying remains will become part of the soil in time, and the nutrients absorbed therein will foster the growth of new life forms - worms, plants, and so forth. So in that way, it could be said that my death will lead to new life - that's the only definition of "afterlife" that would actually make sense to me. I will die in peace knowing that my leftover matter will be helping other organisms, that's a good enough gift in itself.

17. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that my last save file is somewhere in my early teens.

18. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I never said there wouldn't be "suffering," so to say, in the perfect afterlife. Suffering can be a part of pleasure. Read up on Master/slave relationships (ones under true love), that I believe in (or more like, know are the most true ones), and you may realise what I'm having in mind.

19. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I see no evidence of "material substance," so to say. Every substance is made up from continually smaller particles, yet if this would be the case, nothing could exist if it only existed according to the rules of the known physics, since nothing could exist, in the end, if everything continually was made up from something. No logic can explain that there, despite this undisputable fact, yet is a supposed "physical" world, so one can only make the assumption that the minds of humans cannot perceive physics correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.