Do you believe in UFOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hello and help pls

I'm doing a paper for my degree based around this topic and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on some of the questions I'd be interested in hearing answers to.

1. In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
  2. Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
  3. Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
  4. If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
All viewpoints welcome - whether you believe, do not believe, believe slightly or strongly and vice versa - or even if you have some non conventional or conventional beliefs of your own. Also please tell me if you've had any sightings, I love reading about them. Obviously please respect those with different views to you, is just a chill discussion.

Thanks in advance, I love you forever for answering and will maybe absolutely definitely at some point in my life when I get around to it shower you in gifts that include calendars of hot men (Simon Cowell) and chocolate and kittens.

SillyOldBear

Teddy Bears Rule! 🐻
Staff Alumni
  1. In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
  2. Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
  3. Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
  4. If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
Actually, I do believe life on other planets is very likely. There are so many planets, it just doesn't seem that the Earth can be the only place it exists. Of course, intelligent life that could send UFO's here is another story. They would have to travel at the speed of light or faster, or use some other method of transport that is beyond our understanding. So I think visitors to this planet are rather unlikely. I would have no problem admitting this to others. Nope, have never seen a UFO. And have no idea where I would go in USofA to photograph them (unless it is our politicians)
You might want to google a radio show called Coast to Coast. Am pretty sure you can bring it in on Internet. They do a lot with the topic.

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Actually, I do believe life on other planets is very likely. There are so many planets, it just doesn't seem that the Earth can be the only place it exists. Of course, intelligent life that could send UFO's here is another story. They would have to travel at the speed of light or faster, or use some other method of transport that is beyond our understanding. So I think visitors to this planet are rather unlikely. I would have no problem admitting this to others. Nope, have never seen a UFO. And have no idea where I would go in USofA to photograph them (unless it is our politicians)
You might want to google a radio show called Coast to Coast. Am pretty sure you can bring it in on Internet. They do a lot with the topic.
Yay, thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I've never heard of that show - thank you, I'll for sure look it up :)

ShyGuy

I gotta say one time my mom and brother kept saying they were watching a UFO quickly move around outside in the sky, and they kept calling me in to take a look at it, and they told me that for some reason it always seemed to completely fly away every time I entered the room and it flies back when I leave the room.

I also had a dream that I was abducted by aliens. I think they looked like Magikoopa/Kamek from the Super Mario Bros. games.

I'm not sure if UFOs exist, but I think they might.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Like @SillyOldBear I think it's likely that there is life on other planets. Whether we would even recognize them as life is another matter. We use our experience and knowledge of our own planet to project what life would look like on another but why would they look or have a similar physiology to us? Have they come here? I doubt it. I'm sure if a lifeform intelligent enough to do that would make themselves known.

Yes I'm very comfortable making my thoughts known irl. We're all just guessing, even the scientists can't say if there is life out there or not.

No, I've never seen any sign of an alien or know anyone else who has.

I'm always interested in any kind of images. I'd be suspicious of more recent images due to our ability now to photoshop.

And I'd like a ginger kitten please but you can donate my Simon Cowell calendar to someone more deserving ;)

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I gotta say one time my mom and brother kept saying they were watching a UFO quickly move around outside in the sky, and they kept calling me in to take a look at it, and they told me that for some reason it always seemed to completely fly away every time I entered the room and it flies back when I leave the room.

I also had a dream that I was abducted by aliens. I think they looked like Magikoopa/Kamek from the Super Mario Bros. games.

I'm not sure if UFOs exist, but I think they might.
Thank you for your response and contribution, I appreciate it :)

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Like @SillyOldBear I think it's likely that there is life on other planets. Whether we would even recognize them as life is another matter. We use our experience and knowledge of our own planet to project what life would look like on another but why would they look or have a similar physiology to us? Have they come here? I doubt it. I'm sure if a lifeform intelligent enough to do that would make themselves known.

Yes I'm very comfortable making my thoughts known irl. We're all just guessing, even the scientists can't say if there is life out there or not.

No, I've never seen any sign of an alien or know anyone else who has.

I'm always interested in any kind of images. I'd be suspicious of more recent images due to our ability now to photoshop.

And I'd like a ginger kitten please but you can donate my Simon Cowell calendar to someone more deserving ;)
Yay, thank you for replying, it's much appreciated :)

What's that? You want 10 Simon Cowell calendars and 6 posters just of his chest? I mean, I think it's a little extreme, but I will do it just for you!

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
I feel like when you look at the statistics at play, and the fact that we've found other habitable planets even in just the tiny space of the universe we're capable of observing, it seems fairly inevitable that somewhere out there, there would be at least one other sentient species, yeah.

Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
Oh, no doubt, but i think "Statistically speaking it seems inevitable" is a much easier sell than "They're real and they're here to stick things up your butt!" like some people seem to try selling. Like Paul put it in his film "Why does everyone always assume that? What am I doing? Am I harvesting farts? How much can I learn from an ass?" :D

Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
As a kid, i had a few experiences that i chalked up to aliens, but as i got older i think i've largely rationalised them away. I really don't know what interest aliens would have in me anyway. ;)

If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
Personally, i'd probably want to put together images of radio scanning equipment, maybe make my own fake UFO pictures to highlight how easy it is to mistake these things. Because if we're talking photography of UFOs, i'd mainly want to talk about how they're all so blurry and out of focus, meaning they could be pictures of basically anything.

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Personally, i'd probably want to put together images of radio scanning equipment, maybe make my own fake UFO pictures to highlight how easy it is to mistake these things. Because if we're talking photography of UFOs, i'd mainly want to talk about how they're all so blurry and out of focus, meaning they could be pictures of basically anything.
Ooo thanks for your reply overall, but I enjoyed this in particular

I'm looking at UFO history for Wales specifically at the moment, so I've just revisited the locations that put Wales on the map for them and shot some locations where sightings were documented/reported. I'm then going to track down some of the people (40 years on since it made the news) and see if I can photograph them. Also want to collect drawings people have made to show what they saw and include them in the book too.

I think I for sure want to play with something radio and blurs to be the in between images to carry an atmosphere. Thanks!

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Do aliens exist? I firmly believe that they do. Laws of probability surely accounts for that. For all the stars out there, there are more planets orbiting around them. So the odds of planets existing within the habitual zone (areas where it's not too cold/hot) are pretty favourable as are all those other factors needed to encourage life.

Also, bear in mind what a definition of alien means. Commonly, people will think of little green men, but in reality, alien life forms encompasses so much more than that. Only recently, scientists have discovered the possibility of microbes existing in the acid drenched atmosphere of Venus.
https://www.theguardian.com/science...for-life-from-venus-to-the-outer-solar-system

Shows that alien life can exist on other planets, although in various stages of evolutionary development.

I can type more about this, but Lux, the following link says it for me anyway

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...y-exist-but-won-t-be-visiting-us-anytime-soon

As for UFOs - those unidentified flying objects could easily be terrestial as well as potentially extraterrestial. In some cases, those sightings would be more aptly described as unidentified atmospheric phenomena. For every sighting, there's always a counter arguement, quite often incorporating weather balloons for example. I'm not ruling it entirely, but I'd prefer more documentary evidence.
https://www.space.com/ufos-real-but-not-alien-spaceships.html

Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
Yes, I'll be feeling comfortable in discussing with someone my beliefs of life beyond our planet. It's a reasonable assumption for reasons already discussed here.

Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
Nope and nope.

If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
Images of the locations involved,particularly at the time of day of those sightings, copies of any shots taken plus also perhaps atmosperic weather reports at the time?

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I suck at copy/pasting questions, but here is generally my thoughts on UFOs.

Life on other plants, yes. Life that looks like life on Earth, probably not. Beyond that who really knows? But I will say this, my dad (curse him) who worked on fighter jets his whole life said he knew Air Force pilots who told him they had seen phenomena they could not explain. Fighter jet pilots in general are no nonsense people and are trained to observe and report factually.

As far as phenomena, there are the Marfa lights that I posted above, I've talked to a few people over my lifetime that have seen them. And nope, they aren't really ever adequately explained "scientifically".

As to the question, "do Christians believe in life on other planets?" Larry Norman (the late great singer/songwriter) said it best "if there is life on other planets, then He has been there and died to save them too" This is a radical departure from mainstream Christianity really, but I believe it. That life is possible cuz God created it and will take care of His creation.

Other thoughts to come as they hit me.

Interesting project!

GFS

Hello Lux!

1. 1. UFOs? No. Aliens? The Universe is infinite, isn't it? Which technically means infinite chances for an alien form of life. So, the probability says "yes". Not sure, ofc.
    2. I'm pretty comfortable admitting/sharing my opinions. Because I'm confident in my logic about this issue. I base my opinions on facts and logic not on other's people beliefs.
    3. No, I can't say I have. Every time I've witnessed people seeing "unidentified flying object" it has been proven not to be of any "extraterrestrial" origin.
    Yes, I can recall a few times people declaring they have seen UFOs.
    4. I'm not sure if I understand the question.
    If I would be doing a photographic project I think I would want to see pics of the UFOs and/or the places they've landed and the traces they've left on the landing zone.
    And then try to prove/test the authenticity of those pics if that's possible.
Thanks in advance, I love you forever for answering and will maybe absolutely definitely at some point in my life when I get around to it shower you in gifts that include calendars of hot men (Simon Cowell) and chocolate and kittens.
You're welcome but I'm not that interested in hot men calendars including Simon Cowell (yeah, I know, that's unbelievable, but it's true :D ).

Winslow

My Toughest Problem Has Been Solved.
SF Supporter
@Lux
There is a connection between space-aliens and religions. A good example is the passage in the Christian Bible in Ezekiel chapter-one where Ezekiel describes seeing a flying-wheel flying in the sky. Ezekiel also mentions occupants sitting inside the flying wheel. Obviously when spoken in the modern vernacular, it would be categorized as a Flying Saucer.
Moreover Ezekiel's description also says that there is a wheel within another wheel. A wheel within a wheel. If we explain it in terms of aerodynamics we could say that it's just the Outer wheel that provides the propulsion to propel the Spaceship. At the same time the Inner-wheel would remain stationary because it accommodates the pilots inside the cockpit.

So the flying saucers nowadays are a continuation of the space-aliens who visited Earth in the ancient times. Feel free to ask me any questions if you have any.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I have no doubt in other life than just us, that would be beyond arrogance IMO with how large and old the universe is.

I would say it and just go from there regardless what others think.

I AM an alien, or have been told I may be, that is the joke bit. I do wish I would end up being abducted and probed by aliens, sounds hot. I even had abducted and probed by aliens as an internet ID.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I'm pretty much on the same page as just about everyone who already responded.
In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
There has to be alien life out there. The universe must be overflowing with it. Just in our own solar system there are strong indications of life in various locations, I always say, the only way it could be possible for us to be the only life, would be if we were in a simulation.
Sure
I once saw a falling red light, looked a lot like an ember, that flared to green and then disappeared. I'm sure it was a small meteor. The green flare was probably a pocket of gas that became exposed and burned out.
Can't think of any, which is odd, since I've seen so many over the years.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Oh, forgot to say, no I don't think aliens have visited us. The distances involved are too immense. In order to be able to routinely travel to other stars a civilization would have to be SO advanced, that they wouldn't actually have to physically travel here to study us. Even us, at our primitive level can see planets around other star systems and can analyze their atmospheres. Super advanced alien civs could probably read the screen of your smartphone from the other side of the galaxy, as your crossing the street!

Brân

i don't like me either
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Do aliens exist? I firmly believe that they do. Laws of probability surely accounts for that. For all the stars out there, there are more planets orbiting around them. So the odds of planets existing within the habitual zone (areas where it's not too cold/hot) are pretty favourable as are all those other factors needed to encourage life.

Also, bear in mind what a definition of alien means. Commonly, people will think of little green men, but in reality, alien life forms encompasses so much more than that. Only recently, scientists have discovered the possibility of microbes existing in the acid drenched atmosphere of Venus.
https://www.theguardian.com/science...for-life-from-venus-to-the-outer-solar-system

Shows that alien life can exist on other planets, although in various stages of evolutionary development.

I can type more about this, but Lux, the following link says it for me anyway

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...y-exist-but-won-t-be-visiting-us-anytime-soon

As for UFOs - those unidentified flying objects could easily be terrestial as well as potentially extraterrestial. In some cases, those sightings would be more aptly described as unidentified atmospheric phenomena. For every sighting, there's always a counter arguement, quite often incorporating weather balloons for example. I'm not ruling it entirely, but I'd prefer more documentary evidence.
https://www.space.com/ufos-real-but-not-alien-spaceships.html

Yes, I'll be feeling comfortable in discussing with someone my beliefs of life beyond our planet. It's a reasonable assumption for reasons already discussed here.

Nope and nope.

Images of the locations involved,particularly at the time of day of those sightings, copies of any shots taken plus also perhaps atmosperic weather reports at the time?
cheers for answering and for the cool links fam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00