Do you believe in UFOs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KindaOtiose

In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
As previously mentioned, a UFO stands for "unidentified flying object", so a UFO is not necessarily alien. So, yes, I believe UFOs exist, however I don't believe a UFO constructed or built or associated with aliens has ever visited Earth though. I've never seen any solid evidence to suggest alien UFOs have visited Earth and famous incidents like Roswell have been debunked and explained away with the revealing of classified technology. However, I do believe there is probably other life in the galaxy, whether that be intelligent, complex life or simple, microbial life. The odds of life occurring is still a question being answered by science, so I believe this will become clearer over time. As space between gravitationally unbound objects in the Universe expands, and considering the limitations of speed and energy, I doubt we will ever directly interact with or meet aliens.

Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
Sure. I have no problems with that.

Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
No. My friend claims he has seen alien UFOs before but I am skeptical.

If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
Maybe images of where the incidents occurred and photographs of possible alternative explanations.

Bradamante

Silent dreamer
Hello and help pls

I'm doing a paper for my degree based around this topic and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on some of the questions I'd be interested in hearing answers to.

1. In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
  2. Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
  3. Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
  4. If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
All viewpoints welcome - whether you believe, do not believe, believe slightly or strongly and vice versa - or even if you have some non conventional or conventional beliefs of your own. Also please tell me if you've had any sightings, I love reading about them. Obviously please respect those with different views to you, is just a chill discussion.

Thanks in advance, I love you forever for answering and will maybe absolutely definitely at some point in my life when I get around to it shower you in gifts that include calendars of hot men (Simon Cowell) and chocolate and kittens.
I will answer this when my eyes are not closing luxurious :)

MusicMoggy

Hello and help pls

I'm doing a paper for my degree based around this topic and I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on some of the questions I'd be interested in hearing answers to.

1. In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't)
  2. Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
  3. Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
  4. If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)?
All viewpoints welcome - whether you believe, do not believe, believe slightly or strongly and vice versa - or even if you have some non conventional or conventional beliefs of your own. Also please tell me if you've had any sightings, I love reading about them. Obviously please respect those with different views to you, is just a chill discussion.

Thanks in advance, I love you forever for answering and will maybe absolutely definitely at some point in my life when I get around to it shower you in gifts that include calendars of hot men (Simon Cowell) and chocolate and kittens.
1. I'd find it hard to believe another life form(s) don't exist out there. To me that's like saying the rest of the unerverse is dead. Totally wish i could back it up with science, but if you look into enough there is stuff "out there" (sorry) :D

2. Yes, why not?

3. Not that I know of, but have seen some strange lights (maybe drank too much and they were just a chinese lanterns though)

4. I'd want to know where the sightings had been over time in my area... maybe grab an old big map and make a little spaceship and take photos where each one has been and give details.

I want UFO chocolate. Just photos though :D

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
Hello and help pls

i am not certain at this point in time if i am able to provide information on the subject. first, i need to know.... “who wants to know!!!...”

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
The distances involved are too immense
just a snippet here HXM, but i believe we already discussed this last april or something that the whole mess is just an illusion anyway and we actually move from place to place digitally so i do believe that instantaneous cross universe travel (in a flying saucer of course) is not only possible but necessary!

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
@Lux Hi! i was.. i saw this thread only via a tag by @Walker and i was at a particularly low low then but now its catch up time and i will disclose as much as i can without naming names or locations. they are still watching me you know! 🙀

1. In your opinion, do UFOs and/or aliens exist? (in any context) - please feel free to elaborate on what you think is out there (or what isn't). ok, the answer is obvious, isn’t it? i’m here aren’t i? you know me. please tell me you know me. this is not just opinion. ufo means unidentified and as a camp counselor once told us campers, unidentified is anything that has not been identified but of course you mean from another planet. i think aside from my own “reality” the answer is most likely yes. and i also have no proof that i’m certifiably not from elsewhere. i think simply by how many places there are and how “forever” does provide for such advancements in technology and also for a race of beings not as - how can i say - cutthroat... as humans are... could have or will develop who can travel the distances....
  2. Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?) i have done it before. i will say it again. i do think its is possible. and i have writen and spoken that i’m an extraterrestrial myself (of sorts anyway) no problem talking about it. but i don’t talk about it much nyway.
  3. Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?) there is this guy i see daily who looks at me through that glass window. he always imitates me and he regularly says he’s seen extraterrestrials. i think he’s just trying to get inside my head and cause a little trouble but he may speak the truth. anyway when i was young i have seen objects in the night sky looking like stars moving apparently too quickly to be earthly flying machines and not having the nature of shooting stars. i imagine they were some kind of space crafts from other places in the universe.
  4. If you were doing a photographic project based on the history of UFO activity in your country, what kind of images would you want to see (keeping in mind that getting to take one of a sighting will be near impossible)? well, that is the problem... did i see them or imagine them? sometimes i was with other people who saw them. i’m pretty sure i saw them but did not have a camera. but in recent years i’ve not seen any. does that mean they’ve lost interest in our planet? has anyone seen one recently? there are all the alredy used pictures i guess we can use again. but i certainly do not have what is needed in desire or youth to get myself a camera and go out and be out there enough to get the necessary pics. for now we just gotta keep on speculating...

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
@Lux I just thought of this, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marfa_lights

This is a place in Texas where there are phenomena that some folks SWEAR is UFOs and can be observed on a somewhat regular basis.

So, naturally this means you MUST come to Texas to photograph them. :) See what I did there?
I've seen them (West/Trans-Pecos Texas is one of my favorite parts of the country)....I don't think they're extraterrestrial phenomena, though. Probably a combination of atmospheric conditions and normal, explainable phenomena, i.e. reflected light from car headlights.

Here's a pic of the viewing area I took on my last trip out that way DSC00429.JPG DSC00428.JPG

Dots

Misknown Member
Please don't shower me in Simon Cowell calendars but:
In the popular sense of the little green man, I am not sure they exist, though I think they're hyped up to the point of unbelievability. I absolutely think other life is out there, that exists apart from earth.
  1. Would you feel comfortable in openly admitting to the people in your life (outside of SF) that you believe/don't believe? (why?)
I would feel comfortable discussing the possibility of life on other planets/universes/realms.
  1. Have you ever seen a UFO/alien/extra terrestrial? (and do you know anyone else that has?)
No. I have seen discs in the sky but I have never believed they were indicative of alien life or UFOs.

LonelyHiker

SF Supporter
!. Yes, I believe intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe. I doubt any have visited Earth, though I suppose ultra-advanced technology could conceiveably enable another civilization to reach us e.g. Alcubierre drive, which theoreitically could "fold space" as the Guild Navigators do in Frank Herbert's Dune.

2. No problem at all sharing my beliefs about E.Ts

3. No and no...

4. Area 51? Roswell NM?

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
Whenever people talk about other life out there we tend to focus on high technology civilizations. Our own high tech civ has only been around an incredibly short time. For most of our history, we were just as evolved and complex as we are now but just had much lower technology. It isn't necessary for a sentient species to develop radio or become space faring, we just happened to, very recently. That could be very rare, I'd bet it is. For all we know, most alien civs are happy staying at the horse 'n buggy stage, or at the mini-skirted Gladiator stage.

LonelyHiker

SF Supporter
Whenever people talk about other life out there we tend to focus on high technology civilizations. Our own high tech civ has only been around an incredibly short time. For most of our history, we were just as evolved and complex as we are now but just had much lower technology. It isn't necessary for a sentient species to develop radio or become space faring, we just happened to, very recently. That could be very rare, I'd bet it is. For all we know, most alien civs are happy staying at the horse 'n buggy stage, or at the mini-skirted Gladiator stage.
There are also probably hundreds (if not thousands) of worlds where civilizations have risen, thrived, and ultimately fizzled. I mean, in all honesty, that's where we're headed, no?

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
There are also probably hundreds (if not thousands) of worlds where civilizations have risen, thrived, and ultimately fizzled. I mean, in all honesty, that's where we're headed, no?
Absolutely, I bet if we could see civilizations rising, falling and fizzling by flashes of light in the night sky, not just in the Milky Way but in all other visible galaxies too, the night sky would look like the 4th of July every night. Civilizations have risen and fallen many, many times right here on Earth. There's really no logical reason for anyone to believe our current one won't collapse, for any number of causes, no matter what we do or don't do. But life would go on, it always does.

Thauoy

In my opinion , extraterrestrial life exist. The Universe is so vast that it is highly possible that somewhere in the universe another life forms exist. But the chances of meeting them is very rare unless they are from our near galaxies. Alien from far off galaxies will be unable to reach us even if they travel at the speed of life. For example light from distant galaxies which are billions of light years away from us haven't still reach us. So chances of alien civilizations who are billions of Light Years away from us to come here is less. But alien civilization from nearby galaxies can reach us. It is possible.

eternum

In my opinion , extraterrestrial life exist. The Universe is so vast that it is highly possible that somewhere in the universe another life forms exist. But the chances of meeting them is very rare unless they are from our near galaxies. Alien from far off galaxies will be unable to reach us even if they travel at the speed of life. For example light from distant galaxies which are billions of light years away from us haven't still reach us. So chances of alien civilizations who are billions of Light Years away from us to come here is less. But alien civilization from nearby galaxies can reach us. It is possible.
That's also based on our understanding of the universe currently.

I am also someone who believes there are other life forms in the universe. I also believe that there are civilizations in different levels of development. Maybe it's me projecting, but I like to think there are species out there that have managed to overcome their differences and the obstacles of space. Kind of like the Star Trek view of the universe. I just think we don't see or interact with them since, by the time a species reaches that point, they have also learned not to interfere with developing planets.

It's a small example, and if you'll forgive the generalizations... when we wanted to go to the moon, we thought nothing as a race of tromping around on it and leaving stuff behind. Nowadays when people want to send equipment to a planet or moon that might hold even microbial life, they make sure there is nothing from our planet that could interfere. They'll even destroy the probe in a gas giant after it sends the information rather than risk it accidentally crashing on the potential life-holding area.

So I see space as a rite of passage that all species need to undergo. It requires that we develop far more maturity as a race to be able to solve the many complex layers of problems that still stand before us. Right now, we're just taking our first baby steps into our own backyard.

...Ok, I may have put a lot of thought into this. :P I like sci-fi, and science, and I'm a writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00