Do you believe the government always tells the truth?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Prinnctopher's Belt, Dec 13, 2009.

Do you believe the government always tells the public the truth?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
  2. No

30 vote(s)
  3. Unsure

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Just a general question for anyone in any country with a government. With all events in our history taken into consideration, and what we know and are learning in our Present about our Past, do you believe that the government always tells the truth? Why or why not?

My government is of the USA, and my own opinion is 'No'. They've grossly lied about major events where lives have been lost in the past, so there's no reason to believe they're not still lying today and will continue to if it suits their agendas.

Add: Given that there are some things that don't need to be known to the public and may protect national interests, and shouldn't be disclosed; do you believe they always tell us the truth outside these conditions?
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  2. Emptysoul

Emptysoul Well-Known Member

Goverments never tell you the whole truth. some things are considered to be to secret or important to disclose to the general public and to help protect us
  3. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

haha. yea right. i'll be upset if even one person votes yes...
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

No human institution is capable of complete honesty. It's human nature amplified by the thousands to millions that comprise the civil service and government. I think that there are people within the various government bureaucracies that are honest and well-meaning, but the system as a whole falls down to the few in the leadership position that may not represent the interests of the whole.
  5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

SPIT IT OUT --- Who voted "Yes"? You must come forward!
  6. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

Of course they don't tell the truth 100 percent of the time. But they're not constantly lying either like the conspiracy nuts want to believe. They need to get a life. The government is just the government, a bunch of people doing their job. Not some evil entity.
  7. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Not a chance. If they did, there would be a mass panic for no god damn reason. The human race is just like that. Anything for a bit of drama. I can understand why they lie about half the crap they lie about. Let them. Even if I did know, I doubt I'd care much anyway.
  8. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I think they tell just enough truth so that the masses will swallow the outrageous and obvious lies like melted iced cream. The rest is all smoke and mirrors.
  9. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Sure I do!!! But then again Santa and the Easter bunny are standing right behind me with a loaded gun telling me what to type :dry:

I usually vote for the party that tells the most outragous lies during their election campaign. That way I can see how they lie their way out of their previous lies. Makes for good entertainment value for my money.
  10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

11. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

Most politicians are morally bankrupt, narcissistic exhibitionists whom, quite ironically happen to always be truthful despite their personal failings.
  12. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

Of course not. There are some things the public is better off not knowing, not because the government is home to a den of lying, greedy, cut-throat thieves but because the public more often than not tends to think that it always knows best, which it does not. There are corrupt people out there in every aspect of life, including the government, but the situation isn't the dire silliness conpiracy theorists love to make it out to be.
  13. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I believe there is a 50/50 chance that they are telling the truth 1% of the time. Yes, seriously!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.