Do you consider Depression/Anxiety to be a disability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shock

What I mean is on the same level with other 'invisible' illnesses - say diabetes. I'm am just curious and don't mean to offend anyone

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
When it affect you life to the point you are u nable to work to socialize to function yes it is a disability maybe even worse so then diabetes as that disease can be easily regulated with mediction hugs

Sadeyes

Staff Alumni
As TE said, any condition which interferes in one's ability to live a productive and healthy life is a disablity...and yes, depression/anxiety etc. can definitely cause a person to not be able to live and manage the world effectively

Jelly

Pretty much what the two above said. It can disable you from doing the things you enjoy and a lot of stuff. So yes, I consider it a "disability."

Sais

"Anne, I don't want to live. . . . Now listen, life is lovely, but I Can't Live It. I can't even explain. I know how silly it sounds . . . but if you knew how it Felt. To be alive, yes, alive, but not be able to live it. Ay that's the rub. I am like a stone that lives . . . locked outside of all that's real. . . . Anne, do you know of such things, can you hear???? I wish, or think I wish, that I were dying of something for then I could be brave, but to be not dying, and yet . . . and yet to [be] behind a wall, watching everyone fit in where I can't, to talk behind a gray foggy wall, to live but to not reach or to reach wrong . . . to do it all wrong . . . believe me, (can you?) . . . what's wrong. I want to belong. I'm like a jew who ends up in the wrong country. I'm not a part. I'm not a member. I'm frozen."
— Anne Sexton (Anne Sexton: A Self-Portrait in Letters)

I gave this quote somewhere else because pretty much summs it up.
Would you consider the incapacity to live a disability? that's the question.

(Arhh.. sorry, not that nice today...)

pancake111

I think depression/anxiety is a disability. I have depression/anxiety, and diabetes (for 11 years), and the depression/anxiety definetly stops me from doing the things I want to do, but not in the same way as diabetes does.

But the difference between them is, you can treat depression/anxiety so you can eventually oversome them. It's not easy, and takes time, but it's possible. But with diabetes, it's always there, and you can't just forget about it. Some situations can cause depression/anxiety, but the diabetes is always there.

Morgana

Yes, I consider it a disability. The depression's not quite as bad as it used to be, but my anxiety level is so high, I'm constantly on edge, and I can barely be around people. :( I say that qualifies...

I consider it a disability in a way, but I dislike when its medicalized. It's (mental illness in general) not scientifically a literal 'disease' but its just as much or more crippling than many physical problems. Or even vastly more so for some people. I'd take cancer over what I deal with any day, even if I was dealing with it relatively poorly. I think a lot of people think that not medicalizing it doesn't do it justice, but I think of it the opposite way. Medicalizing it results in a shallower distorted understanding of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00