do you ever feel depression physicaly?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Moon_Penguin, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moon_Penguin

Moon_Penguin Penguin astronaut extraordinaire

I do. I feel achey all over. I'd say its like after holdng something REALLY heavy and you put it down but your still straining. its like that.
    well when i say aching all over, its usualy my back and my shoulder n neck.
    just wondering if many other feel this, if so what do you feel and where?
  2. MisterBGone

Yes, I believe that there is a connection between depression and pain. It stands to reason, I suppose, given that the spinal column is an extension of the brain, and the corresponding nerves in extremities. For me, the number one pain I experience chronically, is the low back. When I sit down, even for a half-minute, it feels as though some one has stabbed me directly in the center of my waistline. I cannot begin to describe the agony. When depressed, our muscles are also much more tense and become a whole lot tighter than they otherwise would when we feel good. In short, yes, I'd say it is far more common for people to feel physical discomfort in conjunction with their mental illness, than the reverse.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Oh yeah, all the time...I'll often get headaches, nausea, shaking, heart palpitations, sore muscles, weakness, and all sorts of other bad things. So yeah, you aren't alone there and I'm sorry you're feeling that way.
  4. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Normally, no. Aside from feeling lethargic and tired all the time anyway. There was one exception to the rule about a year and half ago. I went through two extremely stressful apartment moves in the span of five months. During that time I lost most of my appetite and had unexplained chest pains. I assume that was the stress combined with my usual anxiety and depression.

As for anxiety, yes all the time, but that's a different sort of thing.
  5. Moon_Penguin

Moon_Penguin Penguin astronaut extraordinaire

this is great guys :) got quite a mixture between just us 4. tbh i think i can link my back pain to a medical precidure i had last week. maybe even the neck ache. but before that it when i was ont he edge id feel it. wonder what else people feel?
  6. old mom

old mom New Member

all the time noone around me listens or believes me headache want to cry all the time legs ache physically cant do anything
  7. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Interesting to see what other people feel.

I get tired and my body feels heavy sometimes...but I guess that's down to a lack of activity. Being depressed makes me not want to do anything so naturally I'm starting to put on weight, get lazy, etc.
  8. PaperFlame

PaperFlame Active Member

I feel less (physical) pain when I'm depressed, to the point where I can feel relly numb to it. Although a feeling I sometimes get is that my body feels like lead and I'm paralyzed.
  9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I feel completely lethargic. I just don't know what to think during those times, because it seems to be all the time. Things are insane in my mind when I am depressed. I don't know whether I am coming towards something or going away from wherever I am. I'm tired so much, that I would rather just sleep. At times, I just don't want to deal with it. I'd rather be dead.
  10. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I get sore back muscles but more often I find my migraines acting up more often when I'm depressed. Or chest pain. That one is never fun at all. And to know that the pain you feel, that others cannot diagnose.
  11. Twinkle ☆ Twinkle

Twinkle ☆ Twinkle Well-Known Member

Yeah your not alone with that. I'll feel nautious and tired and I get stomach cramps. I'll also get really really cold and my bones start to hurt. Or I'll feel unbelievably exausted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.