Do you ever go on walks/cycles late at night?

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Underground, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

At around 11:00pm-05:00am? If so, where/how far do you go? Do you ever get scared late when you're out? Has anything ever happened? Do you go alone or with someone/your dog, etc?

This is a somewhat regular 'hobby' of mine. I like to go for late night walks on nights I haven't got college the next morning. I usually bring 1-2 smokes, my mobile phone, and a key and I always wear a hoodie. I used to carry a small knife when I started doing it, out of paranoia that I'd get attacked, but I've stopped doing that, because there's always a small possibility I could get searched by a suspecting police officer, and thus arrested. I know it's not a safe habit, but I honestly find it relaxing when I'm bored and can't sleep and need to get out of the house for half an hour or so. Just to find a well lit spot, like a few steps to sit on and text/call my friends, etc.

Although, a few weeks ago the Police pulled up and started questioning why I was out so late, and did a namecheck on me and found out I had previous involvement with them due to my mental health, because of that and the fact I was a young female, they searched me and pretty much forced me to accept a lift home off them, despite the fact I was nearly 18 and was about to go home anyway. Another time, some guy collapsed in the street and these two men called an ambulance for him, and two police cars stopped in mean time, so it was a bit of a scene there.
  2. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

All the time, don't do it as much now that my condition is much better but I used to regularly - and sometimes still do, go for drives. I take the Ipod and car adapter, usually a couple of snacks, mobile, keys and a couple of extra layers. Have driven down the country backroads for anything up to two hours.

I find it good for me to get out and about while having my quiet time, when I don't have work I often don't get out much so I get stir-crazy from being inside the same four walls. My sleep pattern is often totally fucked anyways so I never mind.
  3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I used to go out anywhere between 2-5am; on my bike or running for exercise most nights until it started getting cold.
    I usually do about 6-8k.
    I go alone.
    I bring my mp3 player, house keys and cellphone along with me.
    Had to stop once the snow started falling, though.
    I go at that time of the night because it's pretty much guaranteed that no one will be out on the streets- no one will be awake to see me at all, so it feels much more comfortable for me to be out there alone; I don't get anxiety attacks that way.

Being in a new location is good too, since the place I lived in last year was right next to a wildlife preserve and sometimes I'd have to look out for bears who might come out, looking to scrounge for food.
    Only saw one once and it saw me first- then ran away.
    Now, we're closer to the center of a town; although right at the base of a mountain- I have not seen an animal yet.

There were a few times over the summer when I saw the same black car drive by really slow. I heard that there'd been a few abductions, but wasn't really worried at all. Why? Could be stupidity... or probably because I don't really care about my safety.
    A drunk guy was sitting on someone's lawn and he stood up as I was jogging by but I gave him a glare and he sat back down and left me alone.
    I've got a way about me, I guess~
  4. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

Yeah, presenting yourself as scary or dangerous is a good idea. Although not in the sort of gangster'ey way that would attract attention from either actual gangsters or the police. I always wear a hoodie with the hood up, because it's not as 'vulnerable' looking as say going around in a dress or short clothing or something.

My consultant has had a go at me over these walks, though. My dad told her, and she's overplaying the paranoid drivel about it being dangerous. Of course it's dangerous, but if you keep in the safest possible areas (i.e. near the police station, a hospital, streets, wherever as opposed to allyways, parks, etc) then there's less to worry about.
  5. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Exacftly~ I don't go down the streets where the drunks or teenagers hang out and loiter - I try and stay away from people in general and I don't go anywhere with high traffic. I find that if you stay quiet and just have a look like you *could* beat the crap out of someone-- they won't bother with you. They're looking for easy prey; not a fight.

When I lived in the city, I had a route I ran most nights that went right past a police station and ambulance base-- and the whole thing was well lit and right through a residential area.

My mom always hated me leaving the house in the middle of the night but it's not like she's ever awake to stop me.
    If I'm going to be awake all night, I need something to do... and if I'm indoors all day long because of my fear of people, I might as well get out and about when no one is around.
    Parents just worry because it is possible that something *could* happen to you.

Nothing has happened to me that I couldn't handle easily, though.
  6. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

ive always gone on midnight walks, i was wandering over 8 miles a night when i was a kid, id sneak out and go for walks all the time.

Nowadays i still go out on midnight excursions, depends on what i want to do as to whether i go alone or take the animals with me.

if im alone i always take my trusty pocket poacher, my catapult, in case i see some pheasants or rabbits. if i go with my dog i normally expect to get some bunnies too...basically i cant even go for a walk now without thinking of eating rabbit pie lol.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.