Do you exercise?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bEvans, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bEvans

bEvans Active Member

As I'm sure many people have told you, exercise can seriously help alleviate depressive symptoms while improving your self confidence, among other obvious benefits.
    Do you exercise? I'm referring to actual, consistent exercise programs or routines (ie weekly weightlifting or cardio with great determination).
    I haven't had a serious bout of depression since beginning my exercise program. Sure, still I sometimes gesture that I'll kill myself or softly bang my head against a wall in public, but no suicidal feelings in quite a while.
    I weightlift 3 days a week splitting up major muscle groups for a half hour to 45 minutes per session. I do one day of cardio per week. Cardio feels really, really good and certainly acts like an antidepressant for me for up to two days after a workout.
    Now scientists are revealing other reasons to exercise. One of the most important to us would be the finding that exercise causes brain cells in your hippocampi(funny looking structures shaped like seahorses located in both sides of the brain). These structures are crucial to long term memory and working memory storage and retrieval. Depressants often have a rapid dying off of neurons in this area(the frontal lobes too, but that's another story), so it's great news that you can reverse this aspect of depression without any medication.
    Next time you feel horrible, take it out on a punching bag, drop down for some pushups or go run around the block a few times.
    http://www.biologynews.net/archives...mulates_the_formation_of_new_brain_cells.html

Want to exercise? exrx.net

2. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I tried to get on an exercise routine a few months ago but the voices I was hearing during my workout were driving me insane. So I threw in the towel. :sad:

3. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

I can't go to the gym but can't wait until I do since I'll be like you, going 3 times a week. In the mean time I play soccer and I do sit ups. I'm trying to get some abs. Soo far so good, my tummy is getting toned and more defined.

I have to admit that it's a good way of raising spirits and getting your mind of things.

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

For anybody who is interested, go here: http://www.yogalearningcenter.com/

For like 10 dollars a month, you can stream yoga videos and do yoga in your home. It's VERY relaxing and good for your health and mind. The classes range from beginner to pretty advanced, and they have all sorts of different videos and different types of yoga to choose from. I love it.

5. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I did for a while. It's too much work, frankly :mellow:

Exercise routines demand far more structure than I can accommodate. If I try and get into one, I do fine for a day or two. Maybe even a week. But it just starts to irritate me feeling like I have to do it so one day, I just don't and that's that. :blink:

6. bEvans

bEvans Active Member

If you need help easing in, you could buy a 50lb set of dumbells and weights which should run you about $60. Keep em in your room so you can just pick em up and curl or clean whenever you feel bored, angry, or whatever.
    One of the biggest problems with people trying to get into exercising is that they overestimate how much effort and time they'll have to put in. I rarely have to go past an hour at the gym, and that's only because it'll be crowded that day. A good morning or night with few people can send you back home in 25 minutes. At home you can do curls, cleans, arnold press, etc while relaxing and watching Seinfeld, House or whatever it is that you like.

7. iracund

iracund Antiquities Friend

my shrink always tells me to exercise. i used to bike about 4 miles a day. i don't do jack anymore. i don't know if it helped or not, but certainly not enough to make me continue doing something i really don't enjoy even a little.

8. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I can barely muster up enough energy to get out of bed in the morning. Oh wait, I don't, I usually sleep until at least 3 in the afternoon. -_- Wish I could just sleep forever.

9. livingdeath

livingdeath Active Member

bEvans -- This kind of post always annoys me. Someone finds something that works for them so they think they've found the answer for everyone.

I've been a regular daily exerciser for 27 years. For cardio, I started out jogging, and have gone through periods of swimming and cycling. I added weight-lifting 6 years ago. I do it pretty instensely most days of the week. I have gotten quite noticeable physical results from the weight lifting - I am "buff" - and my cardiovascular health is excellent, which I attribute, at least in part, to my aerobic workouts.

But exercise has NO EFFECT on my depression. My depression has actually worsened severly in the past 2 1/2 years -- and all the while I have stuck religiously to my weight lifting and cardio workouts. (Likewise, so-called "antidepressant" drugs have had no effect on my depression, and I have tried many.)

I'm glad exercise helps your depression; you're lucky. That's great for you. I'm happy for you. But what about me? What the fuck am I supposed to do?

You should be telling people that exercise might help their depression. You should not assume it's the answer for everyone because you simply don't know that. Hell, don't you think that if it was that simple, all depressed people would be exercising and feeling better?

I can be sitting on the exercise bike with my pulse at 160, or walking from one weight lifting set to another fighting back tears because I feel like want to die. So don't go telling me that exercise will help my depression. Everyone is not like you. Some of us have suffered profound emotional trauma and live with pain that doesn't magically disappear just because we work up a sweat at the gym.

10. bEvans

bEvans Active Member

exercise can seriously help alleviate depressive symptoms
    Maybe your depression is caused by poor reading comprehension which translates into poor interpersonal skills which can also lead to severe emotional trauma after negatively interpreting a situation because of your poor comprehension skills.
    Have you gone in for a fMRI, PET or CAT scan? Probably find damage or neurological defects in the tissues surrounding Wernicke's area.

11. expressive_child

expressive_child Well-Known Member

It is just too bad I can't do much exercise due my scoliosis and hyperkyphosis. I really wanna punch some bags or play table tennis maybe basketball. Damn..it's so contradicting to be hyperactive by nature but physically restrained like this! It's just too bad I know exercise can alleviate my mood and all but then I just can't do much... :sad:

12. livingdeath

livingdeath Active Member

Poor reading comprehension??? Where do you come up with this stuff? When I graduated college I got an A+ on my final thesis and was told that my writing is publishable. I was always a top student. So, no, I don't have poor reading comprehension, for chrisake. I am extremely verbal --couldn't you tell that from my post? It is outrageous for you to be suggesting brain damage associated with aphasia in my case. Fortunately, I am not ignorant, so I know better than to be worried or alarmed by your misguided brain-scan speculations. Maybe you should get out of the business of attempting to prescribe treatment over the internet to people you don't know and instead work on your listening and empathic skills.

I understand your desire to share your success, I applaud your dedication and discipline regarding exercise, and I'm glad you have found some relief. But you should learn to realize that everyone is different, and what works for you might be ineffective (as in my case) or exremely difficult or painful for others.

13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Well, allowing for the fact that some people actually like being depressed (I wish I was kidding), I agree. But I'd go a step further. What I think is pretty good advice is for people to find something that makes them feel better or helps them cope. It's different for everyone but almost everyone enjoys doing something. I think I'd really lose it without my hobbies. Obviously, they haven't cured my depression. I doubt if anything ever will. They just help me deal and keep going. Better than nothing.

I'm thinking the reason exercise helps some people is because vigorous exercise releases endorphins, producing a sort of "natural high". That seems to be enough for some folks. For me, the effect doesn't last very long. Maybe an hour and I'm then back to feeling lousy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2007
  14. poison

poison Well-Known Member

dude, just shut up. working out does NOT work for everyone. maybe your ignorance is caused by your lack of intelligence? honest to god, just because YOU work out and YOU'VE gotten release from your depression from doing so DOESN'T mean YOU have all the answers. all your doing is making yourself look like an egotistical dick.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2007
  15. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Exercise is good for your general overall health, but it does not necessarily improve your depression a great deal, although it has shown to be helpful as has getting at least 30 minutes of sunlight everyday. You cannot generalize, as what works for one person does not work for someone else.

16. poison

poison Well-Known Member

more or less what i said, except you were being polite... props to you. =/

17. Incomitatus

Incomitatus Member

Where one might get these 30 minutes, if there is constant rain and cloudy weather and this is lasting for months?

About exercises - it helps for a while (at least in my case it was so) ...
    I have tried do some weightlifting + pressups - it helped me to temporary remove some depression symptomes...
    But when i realized that after all these years of exercising i haven't got any serious weight/muscle mass gain (i have smtg. like accelerated metabolism and weight gain is a big problem for me), i've fallen in a greater depression than before. It appears that I would remain skinny as a 16 years-old boy for the rest of my f**king life...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  18. SoHappyItHurts

SoHappyItHurts Well-Known Member

What if you ate 6,000 calories a day, or even more? Would you gain weight then? I know some people eat 6,000 calories a day because they are super active.

19. StPatty

StPatty Member

I always did run once in awhile. When my depression came on for all its reasons, I would run late at night. It didn't help that I was living in a dorm room, just one room shared with someone else. I didn't want to sit there crying with someone else there. Virtually every night I'd feel terrible and not know what to do but go outside. Sometimes it was a walk to anywhere I knew no one went at night. Other times I would run for what seemed like longer than I ought to have been able to. I'd be sad when I started, sometimes get pissed off as I ran and just run faster. It was kind of embarassing sometimes because those few people walking around at midnight would think I was weird not only for running at that time, but for running so fast. I'd finish a 45 minute loop and start again. I always had problems with my nose starting to bleed while running, but it wouldn't stop me (yes I was in the middle of nowhere at that point). I'd wipe at it and keep going, somehow all this seemed like it gave me a better pain to replace the emotional pain I felt. I still run and I bike. Bike for 4 hours sometimes until I'm out of water. In a way the depression is still there, but not like it used to be. It wasn't just the excersize that stopped it, but it was a huge help. Whenever I was done, I could sleep. Besides that, since it would be like 2 am by the time I finished, I had less time to sleep and would wake up more rested because I had less bad dreams. Scientifically, dreaming too much has a lot to do with depression and I found that getting shorter periods of sleep did help. If I ever stopped running, I wonder if it would come back, since my life has felt at least worth living for over a year now. But some, maybe half, of the reasons I was depressed are still not completely solved but I'm able to work on them pretty well now.

this in response to the original post... for people to read if they feel like it, if not please don't flame me!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  20. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

I do yoga and occasionally go for walks but honestly I do get pretty lazy most of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.