Do You Exercise?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Anonymous2, Dec 25, 2007.

?

Do You Exercise?

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I love to exercise. I like to lift weights and run. It’s rather difficult for me because I have health problems, but I try to push through the pain and go anyways. Weight lifting and running are great activities for me because I’m a social inept loner. These activities do not require other people. I can run and lift weights completely alone. Exercise is one of the few activities that isn’t affected by my depression. I’ve lost the motivation to engage in many activities that I use to enjoy, but exercise is not one of them.

If you don’t exercise, you should consider starting. There was a time in my life when my heath problems were so bad that I couldn’t even exercise. During that time I became even more depressed than I normally am. When I started exercising again, I became much less depressed. Until that gap in exercise, I wasn’t truly able to comprehend the psychological benefits of exercise. What many people don’t realize is how significant an impact our physical health has on our mental health. There are actual biological changes that occur when we engage in exercise that improve our mental well-being. And of course, exercise also improves our physical health, physical appearance, and self-esteem. It is nice to be able to look in the mirror and see the reflection of a chiseled physique. It is also nice to be stronger and faster than the majority of the population. Although my loner status is enough for most people to consider me a loser, most people won’t talk shit to my face because they know I could beat them up if I wanted.

I was inspired to post this poll after I watched a special on 20/20 about a morbidly obese (600 pound) man who made a commitment to lose weight. Over the course of 2 years he managed to lose 400 pounds. Not only did he look much better, but his psychological health had improved drastically. He was like a completely different person. Here is a link to the 20/20 special.
    http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesNews/story?id=4029716&page=1

If you want to start exercising but need some suggestions, just ask. I and other members of this forum know a lot about exercise and nutrition.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2007
  2. danni

danni Chat Buddy

i love to exercise i ride my bike everywhere and at night before i go to bed i do about 50 leg leights to tighten up my stomach more. and on the weekend i sometimes go to the gym to work out more, and on school days i ride or walk there. so yea i love to work out.

3. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I like to exercise especially when I am angry to let some steam off or when I need some respite from my thoughts.

4. DownwardSpiral

DownwardSpiral Well-Known Member

Yes. Most every day. Helps me get ready for the day ahead.

5. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I do an incredible amount of walking, some days more than others. My leg muscles are the strongest muscles I have, & I have taken taekwondo in the past so watch out! :laugh:

6. yep, makes me feel a lot better by the time i'm done. left my stuff at uni over the hols and can't wait to get it back, felt like crap since i've been idle

7. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

If I didn't I don't know what I'd do...it helps when I'm manic..it's not really 'exercise' it's more a relief of agitation that I feel. And I've been obviously manic recently...

8. KohlRimmed

KohlRimmed Well-Known Member

I do when i have the energy :) Lifting light weights and using my exercise bike - i would run, but i get short of breath easily, and it's incredibly cold outside anyway.
    Usually i listen to my mp3, and i mouth along to the songs - helps with any frustration or anger, or even sadness in me :)

Definitly worth a go if you're feeling down :)

9. poison

poison Well-Known Member

i do heavy lifting and on the days i don't i do legs/cardio or its a break day for me.

10. i love to exercise.

11. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

ditto

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I love to exercise, but I don't do it as often as I would like. I'm thinking about getting a used Bowflex to add to my gym.

13. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

I've been exercising for about a year although not as regular as I would have liked. I have been trying to pick up the pace a bit recently and train more intensively and incorporate some cardiovascular style training rather than focussing on strength training.

Good original post re: the benefits of exercising.