• You may receive an error message when sending PMs at the moment. The message you're trying to send has been sent and if you refresh your screen, you will see it. Otherwise you may get many repeated messages. We're working on this!

Do you feel disabled?

Citizen Insane

Emote Encyclopedia
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Yes, I hear you: it does feel like a major limitation @Butterfly – I've personally had to make so many adjustments so that I could function close to a more normal level again. Normal: meaning that I'm approaching – but not quite reaching - the way of living I had before I got ill. It's one of those stages of grieving, no doubt.

At age 31 it's now year 15 of having dealt with the (after) effects of the psychosis – and year 12 of living with the depersonalization disorder. Though I have days where I do feel better, experience less fatigue, feelings of anxiety etc. But to have that consistently is so difficult.

On some days I do experience frustration with regards to mental health issues – Anxiety can be a killer. Isolation, avoidance of anxiety inducing (social) situations, OCD, you name it.

I get sensory overload super fast now – I have about a limit of 3 hours of where I can be outside the house for example. When I get back home I have to recover for the rest of the day and sometimes the day after that as well. Curtains closed for a darker room, less input of information and hopefully have no bad headaches.

With mental health issues I think I have to put in almost double the effort to have some sense of normalcy. I prefer not to aim for 'actual' happiness – as that hasn't happened in forever with the disorder that was developed. I'm glad that I can be content with a day now even when I'm seemingly doing less.

Having to use the anti-psychotic medication for the rest of my life too – which I have mixed feelings about, since it does affect the cognitive functioning + side effects – though it's at a lower dosage than in 2010 – 2020~ era. I guess the alternative isn't something I'd want, to have a psychotic episode.

With all the adjustments I've made and more – I haven't had a panic attack the last 2~ years anymore... That is a massive win to me. This makes life more than acceptable to me.

Aves

I feel like I have a disability and I struggle to accept this too. I feel like I’m never going to be able to be a fully independent person. I’m terrified of the thought of anything bad happening to my husband who I rely on far too much, it feels like he’s become more like a carer to me at times. I feel like no matter what I do, I’m always going to be this way and this is something that I find very hard to accept.

I find this hard to accept. My MH over the years has taken a battering and has got worse. I feel like I've got limitations. I don't function well outside of work. I don't feel free.

How do you guys feel?
Yes I definitely do. I feel as if I'm a shell of my former self from my younger years. I feel like I have taken so many punches from the world that im no longer in my own body the happiest time for me is when I'm asleep

I feel like I have a disability and I struggle to accept this too. I feel like I’m never going to be able to be a fully independent person. I’m terrified of the thought of anything bad happening to my husband who I rely on far too much, it feels like he’s become more like a carer to me at times. I feel like no matter what I do, I’m always going to be this way and this is something that I find very hard to accept.
*console *hug
I feel the same way even though my husband has a physical (visual) disability and relies on me to handle technology and banking etc. But I rely on him emotionally as he is more steady than I am. I feel like I would be lost without him and it scares me. This is especially scary as we are getting older.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$125.00
Goal
$255.00