do you feel guilty about your mental illness?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by asking_advice, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

do you feel guilty about your mental illness?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

sometimes i do i feel like i should not be so ill that i sho uld be so much stronger because it is not fair for my family to see my not strong

3. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Yes... I feel that I should have been able to keep my family together when things got rough. But now that I am alone without all the kids. Without all the stress. I don't know how I functioned in the first place. Because it closes in on me sometimes, ya know?

4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I guess sometimes I do, because I can't enjoy life the way I want to...and I upset people with my suicidal ideation. Sometimes I feel that people get annoyed or bothered with me. Then again it's something beyond my control, so I guess I shouldn't really feel guilty about it.

5. letty

letty Banned Member

Yes I do feel guilty

6. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

there is times that I do.

7. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I wanted to say straight off that I don't, because I don't see why I should feel guilty for something that is beyond my control. Then again, I think about how frequently I lie just to hide it from others. How much effort I devote to giving off the outward appearance of being self sufficient and 'okay'.

Yes. Yes I do. Even though it bothers me a great deal that I should feel this way about something that is a product of bad genes and less than ideal childhood. Not my fault. :/

8. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I feel very guilty. I let my family down. I was an above average, super intelligent girl and I've become this socially retarded schizophrenic/bipolar freak. I feel so burdensome at times.

9. rv498

rv498 Well-Known Member

I'm not guilty. It s not my fault that I'm ill. Yeah but I admit I used to feel guilty. I realize now that my life is short and no time to feel guilty about anything. My time is valuable.

10. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I feel the same. People get annoyed at me for not being happy. I feel guilty for bringing them down. Depression and social anxiety are a part of me, I guess I should embrace it and then maybe it will help me. But we shouldn't feel bad for being who we are.

11. fooror

fooror Well-Known Member

I don't feel guilty for being ill, but I do feel guilty when being ill prevents me from doing stuff that i should be doing, and hence letting people down.

Maybe that's the same thing? Not sure.

12. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I do. I feel like I drag my friends down, because I know that I'm exhausting to be around. I feel guilty for not doing things people ask me to. And I feel guilty for being depressed when other people have much worse things happen/ing to them.

13. pppqp

pppqp Well-Known Member

I feel the same way too.
    And ashamed. I can't imagine what it would be like if someone happened to see Fluoxetines on my desk :sad:

14. station

station Member

i agree,
    i spent many years not just feeling guilty, but i didn't feel worthy of the thoughts i was having. ashamed in a way: 'other people have it so much worse than me, who am i to feel this badly?'. i learned pretty quickly that many many people have this same thought, and took a bit of comfort in that ;)

15. PainIsLife

PainIsLife Member

I feel awfully guilty.
    Most of the time it's because people tell me how lucky I am in life, to have things that many other people do not. Yet who are they to say I'm lucky when they can't appreciate my mental well-being?
    And yes, I feel like a horrible burden on my friends and family who I take my stress out on.

16. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hi......... guilt overwhelmed me (except I was reluctant to face it, so pressed it down even deeper) - but it was the not facing it that made it worse. We don't want to face it because of the pain..... We wnn't allow ourselves to feel the pain until we're sure we know we are loved in spite of it, and that there is someone who can help us mend.

17. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

i just feel like i dont wanna be a drain on society,sold my home and lived off the money but thats nearly gone.I should go sign on for benefits again but i'm putting it off as i'm sure they look down their noses at people like me and just think i'm lazy or workshy but the truth is i just dont function properly around people.Anxiety has robbed me of the life i should have had and i'm just bored and fed up with everything now.

18. total eclipse

Hun you are not lazy you are sick okay you have an illness and if you can get back on your benefits then do so You are deserving of help hugs

19. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Thankyou but i dont think the government and majority of people who go out and work everyday see it like that.I wish i could get a job that didn't induce anxiety but at 40 with a five year employment gap,i dont think i stand much chance and thats if i could even speak during a job interview.thanks for reply tho,hope your ok

20. total eclipse

anxiety is so hard i know i see my girl struggle with it every day and how she suffers each time she does not make it through a job interview She is on disability because she has a disability as you do hun do n't be ashame of that You get help you deserve okay and if you can do volunteer work at something you enjoy then that too will help you with your self esteem but don't let others judgement of you stop you from getting what you need to survive hugs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.