Do you feel like you don't belong?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Brittless, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

I've never felt like I quite fit in anywhere- but one place, one really gritty place. What about you, do you feel like you belong anywhere? If not, have you ever felt you did? Where?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I've always felt like I don't fit in, or that people don't understand me. It can be hard to cope with at times, because I just feel really alone.

Brittless likes this.
  3. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Oh yes. I have Asperger's syndrome so that sort of goes with the territory of my disorder. I feel at home in my apartment and out in nature but anywhere else has a sort of alien feel, particularly if there are crowds of people.

4. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I don't feel at all like I fit in with humanity. I despise city-life and I really don't like to associate with people. Society to me is a disease. I know I sound bitter, but I'm not. I'm accepting and quite happy being my myself. Right now I live in a little mountain village where I have maybe 5 close-by neighbours and they are still too close for me. In a few years I'll be moving into the woods to live a real solitary life and I just can't wait. I feel at home IN my home and on my porch, but as soon as I leave the gate...anxiety and dread. I've designed my life so that I rarely have to leave the peaceful comfort of my home. Honestly I don't think it's abnormal at all, I'm just not status quo and I kind of like that!

Brittless likes this.
  5. Brittless

I've always felt that extra bit different in crowds or at school or anything where people gather to socialize. Even just with close friends I've felt like the odd one out. I wondered if it was just innately me or if it had to do with something else-but maybe I' m just abnormal and there's no real diagnosis for that. heh.

6. Brittless

Living in the woods in peaceful solitary does sound supreme but I think I would start to miss little things eventually. There are some things about society I like but I can see how you think it is a disease. I've come to and struggled with that conclusion on and off for the past few years but for me I think it's more what this current society has produced that leaves me feeling ill. And not society as a whole, the elite. There are special people within these societies that I enjoy knowing and knowing me. Hm, I'm rambling and digressing, but thanks for the reply and I hope your woods move is serendipitous.

Frances M likes this.
  7. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

Ramble on :)

Well, I would miss plumbing and the internet, so I will have some conveniences, but as far as humanity goes, I'm done. Sure there are nice people out there, but I'm just not interested in looking for them anymore. To each his own though!

8. Piexes

Piexes Well-Known Member

many people treat me like an alien, or a stupid shallow little girl, or patronize me because i have a lot of feelings. for most of my life ive been closed off, that weird girl who never talks. so people project things onto me and that can be frustrating. And because I close myself off i feel like i haven't grown as much as most people my age, I haven't seen and experienced enough. Living in a fear bubble.

9. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I get patronized because of my high emotions as well. I feel EVERYTHING. And it's over-empathy at times, it's hard for me. I no longer read the news and I avoid all social media. I try to detach as much as I can, but I can't help it, I have a big heart and like you, lots of feelings. I feel fragile though. So I also live in a bubble somewhat. I was always labeled a "snob" because I didn't want to get close to people. It used to bother me, now I don't care what anyone thinks. People my age lead very different lives in my neck of the woods, but their way doesn't interest me at all. I can relate to you saying that people project things onto you, I know that frustration and that feeling of being attacked and vulnerable, there seems to be no way to defend yourself and convince them they are wrong, so in my case, I've given up trying.

10. Greying

Greying Substandard

Majorly. Honestly feel like I'm not meant to be here, I've no idea how to even human after how I lived the last few years.

11. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i think it's pretty obvious from the word go that i was a mistake

ever since i was born, it was always something- it was always no deecent family, no deecent childhood, no deecent deducation, no love, nothing like that

and when i do try and do something, everything goes wrong- so yep, i'm a mistake and i know it

12. Brittless

Do you want to learn how to be human? I think you are, maybe you've just detached yourself from humanity atm, because it's hard to deal with humans and emotions that come with them. that's just conjecture- obviously i don't know your story.

13. Brittless

if failure made people mistakes then we would all be one giant mistake. no i don't think that makes you a mistake, maybe you've been placed in an environment of other people's mistakes. though i know how you feel like an anomaly among all these people who seem to be going somewhere, or doing the "right" things. I feel that way a lot.

14. Dikta

Dikta Autistic.

I feel like I belong for the first time with one person.
    Otherwise I've never really felt like I belonged anywhere. Have a few disorders/diagnosis, so maybe why I've felt like that.

Brittless likes this.
  15. HangMyHeart

HangMyHeart Member

Absolutely... I only really feel comfortable in my room alone, or talking to my online friend from another site. But he happens to be my ex... which gives even those interactions a tinge of loneliness. Other than that, I've never belonged anywhere or with anyone, and I don't have much faith I ever will. I don't expect I'll ever get to fall in love again, for example, as no men my age seem to share the same values and life outlook that I do... and having things in common is VERY important to me. It's one of those things that can't be compromised.

Brittless likes this.
  16. Greying

Greying Substandard

No, i just want a way out. Thank you for your reply.

17. Brittless

out from what specifically if you don't mind answering?

18. Greying

Greying Substandard

My mind.

19. Brittless

there is relief from your mind other than death. that's not the only solution.

Frances M likes this.
  20. Wiltingone

Wiltingone Well-Known Member

I have seldom felt a sense of belonging. I'm intensely lonely these days. It hurts.