Do you feel the pain of the world?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by darkrider, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkrider

darkrider Well-Known Member

Lonely people, starvation, people commiting suicide etc...?

In particular the last one effects me pretty badly.
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

No, I only feel my own pain. That's why I'm a terrible person.
  3. blueskyblues

blueskyblues Well-Known Member

i don't feel for people i don't know.

but i feel for the suffering of all animals.

i'm weird.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

You shouldn't feel bad about it. I mean when I have a really bad toothache, that's all I can think about. Once I've dealt with that I can deal with other things. I think that's just the way we're designed.

It's strange, I've had friends end up in hospital, end up dead. Didn't really know how I felt about it. But when my cat killed a baby bird, I cried loads. Now that's weird.
  5. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I don't know if I feel the pain of the world but it certainly affects me.

It's part of the depression I guess. Most people feel sad about certain situations but these are usually passing thoughts. I on the other hand can read something in the paper & then I won't sleep for thinking about it, sometimes this can last days or weeks. Then I feel guilty as I can't do anything to change these things. I can't win, I'm my own worst enemy.

Comic relief is coming up, I can cry for months about that. Homeless people or abandoned animals especially in cold weather is another one that keeps me awake.
  6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

You care James, you might not feel everyones pain but you still care. In my opinion that means you're not a terrible person :hug:.
  7. Lyse

Lyse Guest

...Yes. I do.
  8. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

I feel for the people in the world, I hurt for those people vicitimized, I feel for all the errors of human ways, i hurt for all the negativity, all the selfish choices, all the insecurities, all the abuse, and I hurt almost everyday as everything I sit by and watch the world crumble.

I hurt too much and too often for everything I cant protect.

I was huddled up in bed / deep depression for over 8 months because of some new world/life awareness.....

I do better now, by not paying attention. I cant handle it. It really DOES kill me.
  9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I don't. To try and salvage my life, I'm moving into a more observational sort of life. I'll do what I need to survive, but beyond that live in my own little world, and watch everyone else live theirs. If I can just stand aside and pretend I'm not a human I can dissociate myself from all of the human problems. If I do what most people do and get attached, I'll have to cry for all of the people in the world that are abused.
  10. darkrider

When I hear of others commiting suicide I wish it was me.
  11. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Yeah I've been thinking about that as well. I also think that I should have committed suicide instead of that poor person, he/she had more life to live unlike me, I should have done it instead and you should have kept living!!! Ever since I became depressed and thinking about suicide in late 2005, I have become much more sensitive and understanding of others who suffer from severe depression and thinking about killing themselves, I have been in their shoes for a while and I really feel for them.

Before, I wasn't too understanding of depression but I think you need to go into someone else's shoes to truly understand what they are going though, reading or watching about it isn't enough, you have to experience it for yourself to truly understand it in my opinion.

I really do feel for those that have commited suicide, the extreme pain and suffering they went through and how they thought killing themselves was the only way out, and that is also how I feel. I feel that my life so far has been messed up and it will continue that way, I failed to develop properly in my earlier, formative developing years so I am screwed for life. I think my depression is telling me there are no ways out, no other choices for me to take except to kill myself; depression is very dangerous and will keep dragging you down further and further. People will tell me there is always hope, a way out and I hope its really true, I find it hard to believe!

I dunno if I can feel for others as much or help them until I help myself, I am in a pathetic, wretched state myself so I don't think I can quite feel the pain of most people now, but I do feel the pain of those suffering from depression and thoughts of suicide like me.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2009
  12. darkrider

Rahul from reading your posts in the past I know i'm the same as you. Only slight difference is in the age.
  13. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Well it is only a one year difference, no big deal. I am reading the thread you created just now and you are correct, we are very much the same and I feel your pain and I know you must feel worse with the fact that so many others in their 20s are having the time of their lives, your supposed to have the time of your life at least and yet we are so miserable and already thinking about ending our lives. It just makes me feel more sad and guilty, I don't know if that's the correct word to describe it.
  14. Darker Than Black

Darker Than Black Well-Known Member

no, but I feel like the pain of the world
  15. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

No - I am a lonely person. And I've made peace with this to the extent I can, and see no reason why others cannot do the same.

No - well, maybe...I feel sorry, to an extent, for the people who are starving to death, at least intellectually, but would cheerfully tell most of the people who constantly blab about those starving to death (Bono, Bob Geldof, Sally Struthers, whoever) to fuck themselves sideways and to shut the fuck up.

Depends on the case, but mostly I do not. My initial emotional reaction is typically envy, though there are exceptions. Hell, if I punch my own ticket, I certainly don't expect much sorrow to follow.
  16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

What I get more depressed about is the big picture, and how ugly it looks. I dont tend to look at small events or individual tragedies and get upset, unless they are closely related. Sometimes I manage to convince myself that things will be ok, thats really the only way I can still function.
  17. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

somehow i always feel the pain of others around me, animals and humans alike
    it's somehow weird but it only makes my own pain worse ...:sad:
  18. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

I did in my 20's....not at all now.
  19. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

Gee, I must be a weirdo like you too cos I deeply care for animals and don't feel much or have any pity on fellow humans who commit bad things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.