Do You Find Comfort In Other's Misery?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

This is basically a "I envy my neightbours greener grass" question. Do you envy others and take comfort when they have less than you? Or when they have more misfortune than you? I'm asking because with all honesty i sometime do. Yes, that's very selfish and wrong, but the fact is it makes me feel artificially better. Watching the news is a great comfort...

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

No, hearing about the misfortune of others makes me more miserable.

4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I like to know that there are others that are in my situation but not that I get off on the feeling of them feeling miserable.

5. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I don't enjoy hearing about when other people's lives are bad, but I can say "at least that's not me" and get a sense of comfort from it. Sometimes. Most times I think "that sucks" and hope things get better for them.

6. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

No I don't.

7. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

It depends. Normally, no I don't. I feel bad for the person. But if it happens to be someone I dislike, I might be a tad happy about it. But I think that's normal. I wouldn't want something terrible to happen to someone I dislike but if something small doesn't go their way, it kinda makes me smile.

8. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

God yes. Particularly if the person was an asshole and a bitch wrapped around a motherfucker in a douchebag covered in shit. Hell yes I love seeing them be miserable, and I take maximum comfort in observing them rot in their hell.

Nobody cries for the devil's misery; except tears of joy.

9. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Somehow I always end up with somebody as miserable as I am, and that's a comfort. I wouldn't want to be looked down on by someone who's chronically successful.

We hate it when our friends are successful - Morrissey

10. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

...Not nessecarily.

I go by the "I could have it off ALOT worse" ordeal, but if other people around me are miserable their emotions usually inflict on mine.

11. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

This is a hard one to answer. About the only one that I can take great pleasure in knowing they are struggling is my ex. Others even if they have hurt me I still feel sorry for them. But not in the sense of "oh my that poor person". But rather like "wow I cant believe they could be so stupid to let that happen". Or that they could be so unknowing.

I dont know how to explain it but I get sort of a sense of comfort out of my own suffering. Dont know, maybe because it's something I know, have been with for so long, that it feels comfortable. Being really happy, is foreign so it makes me uncomfortable. Most of my life if I was happy it made someone else angry and I would be "punished". So yeah misery is something I have had in my life for such a long time I dont need to take pleasure in it when others suffer. I've learned to do it with my own pain. Sorry cant explain it any better than that.

Ok after all that my answer is still yes and no (lol).

12. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

It's called Schadenfreude when you feel pleasure over the misery or misfortune of others. It seems quite common in the human psyche and I vaguely remember an ancient Chinese proverb about one deriving pleasure from witnessing one's neighbor fall off of his roof.

I don't except when I hear of misfortune visiting a true psycho bastard like O.J. Simpson, Osama Bin Laden or North Korean leader (and Sesame Street Ernie lookalike) Kim Jung Ill.

13. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I hate pain and suffering unless it's desired pain and suffering.

14. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

ummm well i get jelous of what others have but i dont find comfort in there misery

15. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

i mean as in the good things in life they have not material things btw

16. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Not really, no... although I do rather like slapstick comedy and laughing at people make asses out of themselves! XD (and then feel bad for them later- cause it must've been embarassing... awww...)

17. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

no I dont...I dont see the point in that...I would never inflict my pain onto others and wish it on anyone...

18. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I find comfort in other people's suffering, if only in knowing that I am not alone.

19. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

20. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think there was a similar thread like this before I responded to.
    It's not so much that I find comfort in others' misery. But sometimes when I am close with someone, I do feel that when they are having problems and whatnot... that they need me. Sometimes I am scared for them to be happy and motivated because I feel that they won't need me anymore.
    So yeah that's what happens with me sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.