Do you find the notion of suicide inherently self-destructive?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by InnerStrength, Apr 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

I don't know, the image of slitting my own throat popped into my head again today. Well, to be honest, that image is pretty ephemeral--it comes and goes, but when it occurs I feel it takes a piece of my normal self with it. Basically, such thoughts make me feel out of place, and that perception of my self keeps on growing. That perception itself makes me different, and I don't know how to stop it.

2. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I wish I had some good informaton re how to stop it. I wonder if there is a med that might help with the images. Do you have a t or pdoc you can talk with about it? Or evdn a regular physician?

3. foxontherun

foxontherun Member

Definitely. I went through a period when I was 18-20 where scarcely a day went by without me cold-heartedly musing over how to kill myself -- something I eventually tried and ended up clinically dead, only to be resuscitated. Unfortunately the mere act of seriously contemplating self-murder regularly over an extended period of time can be ruinous in itself. Your mind recoils in horror at this malignant beast of worthlessness and cynicism, making other aspects of daily activity, but in particular goal-setting, trialling. Any degree of zest for being becomes absent, and this feeds on itself in a seemingly perpetual cycle of terror, desolation and misery.

As for stopping it, well this is an entirely individual complication with necessarily individual elucidations. Try detaching yourself from your ego and looking down over yourself as if in the third person. This circumspection may be helpful in identifying any contributing factors to the suicidal ideation. Be as honest as you can, but not to the point of ruthlessness. For example, are you following a path which makes use of your strengths and inspirations (I can't stress how important this is, anyone who exists solely for appeasing someone else's expectations, whether that be parents or similar, nearly always ends up tortured and suffering)? Are you surrounded by people who understand your truth of circumstances and are willing to give genuine companionship without judgement? If it's mental illness that's a factor (in my case it was bipolar, although I did not know it at the time) then outline your options and stick to a stringent management plan.

May Fortuna have empathy on you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.