Do you guys think it's possible to never get over depression/suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Shogun, Feb 6, 2009.

Do you think some people can NEVER be cured of depression or suicidal thoughts?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Don't know

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I'm known (in real life) for saying "I honestly believe that some people were born to commit suicide." It's like my saying, my gimmick, my motto, but I truly believe it.

My question is do you think it's literally impossible for some people (no matter what help they receive) to never get over depression?

Is counselling and medication just pointless for some people?

I honestly believe I was born to commit suicide. I have so many odds against me that surviving is just not an option. I'm not about to run out and kill myself any time soon, but I know for a fact that my death one day will be through suicide. I attempted suicide back in 2003, but failed and all it made me do is re-evaluate new methods.

I don't get this, I'm not just a decent person.... I'm a nice person. I go out of my way to be a gentleman. There are murderers, rapists and kiddy fiddlers that have it better in life than I do. Every waking moment is hell for me.

Please, please, please think about my question at length before voting. I'm abnormally interested in your answers and this is very important to me. I'll add a "Don't know" option just incase you don't want to commit yourself to an answer.

Do you think it's possible that some people can NEVER be cured of depression and suicidal thoughts no matter how much help they receive?
  2. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

No, I believe with time anyone can get over it although in some cases it takes a lot more work than others. And even if by chance there is that one person out there that could not get over it, why say that it is not possible? You are automatically condemning that person as if you don't try, it is impossible to get over it.

If you are looking for us to say "yes its not possible, give up" you will not find that here. Keep trying to beat the depression and remember the quote from Einstein: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” You have to find out how to break the cycle. Some find out how easier than others, but I believe all can. Take care.
  3. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

I voted yes. But just because you're always having bad bouts doesn't mean that life can't have meaning from in the between times.
  4. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

i belive the want to commit suicide and the need/want to sh or si
    can be avoided
    but depression i belive is somthing totaly different
    i belive that its somthing you learn to live with
    something you come to accept as having to deal with for the rest of your life
    but with that it becomes easier to manage although youll stil have your realy down days they become less frequent
    if that makes sense :?
  5. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i think that they will always be with you because once you've found some sort of 'comfort' in them its hard to give it up. i think once you have them you end up living your life fighting them all the time whether it be one of them or all of them
    i dont know if that makes any sense, but it does to me
  6. cinZamurai

cinZamurai Well-Known Member

I think it can be cured for almost everyone (there is always the odd exception to the rule so I might as well cover my ground).

Anyway, there are some amazing stories and people out there and if I had half the skill and intuition as for example Milton Erikson when he was alive and working. Then **** I could have done some amazing things for this world.

I think there is empowerment in shifting the mindset. The thoughts and self speech one have can be changed and we already have all the tools, its just that we sometimes need someone to bring them to our knowledge so we can use them. Its also a matter of practice and of intuitive implementation. What needs to be done will vary from person to person but its possible that I´m convinced of.

If you have the curiosity here is a few links.

John Grinder and Richard Bandler are interesting names too. There work is pretty nice and they have drawn much ideas from Milton as well.
  7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I voted yes because for some of us it will be a lifetime struggle. My therapist even told me that my suicidal ideations will be with me for the rest of my life because they are so deep rooted. On the other hand you don't have to give in to them. As long as you try you won't fail...~Joseph~
  8. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

Im on the fence. I've been depressed with suicide thoughts since I was 8.
  9. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Yes, I think (sadly) for some it will be a lifelong condition.
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I think it's possible some people won't get over their depression but it is always possible that they will as well.
  11. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

one of my friends is like this, they're not suicidal so much any more, but they're still very depressed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.