Do you have a best friend...

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by shades, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Who would do anything for you at the drop of a hat? A friend with whom you can discuss your darkest secrets, your problems, etc...and for whom you would do the same?

As some here know, my best friend killed himself a year ago, August. I didn't realize until recently how empty that has left me. I have a couple of other friends, but one lives 3 hours away and one refuses to get a telephone and is about 15 minutes away...also he wouldn't drop everything to help me out...or anyone for that matter.

Did you ever have a best friend as mentioned above and lost them in one way or another? I have some very good friends on SF, some of whom I believe would discuss anything and help me out in any way possible, but they do not live near me.

**If this belongs in the "soap box" someone can move it there, but I think it should be ok here!

Everybody take care...

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Once upon a time it would've been Sarah, but then she cheated on me (and I forgave her) and then she entered a deep depression and and won't talk to anyone, not even me :\

Now I have Elizabeth.

Unfortunately, I'm about to move across the continent...
  3. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

I have a few really close friends who lives not far from me that would probably do most things I ask of them, but I don't feel like I can talk to them about how I feel. Thats not their fault of course, it's mine.

The person who took good care of me when I first came to SF is someone I think of as one of my best friend. He is always there for me. No matter what time of day it is where he lives, I know I can call him.

And then there is the love of my life.... :wub:
  4. Blue_Sky

Blue_Sky Well-Known Member

That is sad to lose someone like that for that reason. I don't know how I'd cope. I could say I sort of have a best friend online, though we don't really talk that much anymore. I met him about 3 years ago, and we used to talk a lot in the beginning but in the last year and half it's been on and off, going weeks and sometimes months without talking. He is like a brother to me, and he is an only child and has told me i'm the closest thing to a sister he's had. He's been able to extract every secret from me, we deal with similiar problems, he has no friends either and has a difficulty with people, unemployed, ect. I don't have anyone else to talk to about my problems that could understand, I only talked to 1 other person online who does not really understand what I deal with so i've been on my own to deal with my thoughts and feelings. I haven't really made too many friendships online, it's better than nothing, but it's not the same as in person which I desire. But I found out what a friendship should feel like, I remember back in my childhood when I had friends...that feels like a lifetime ago...the 2 friends I had weren't really friends, they were more like activity partners, I don't think I had much connection with either and I always felt like the third wheel when we were all together and I wasn't sad when I moved away those friendships ended, I didn't care at all to keep in touch.
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

No , even with my ex who was my "best friend" for a while I wouldn't do anything at a drop of a hat for her NO WAY! :D The thought makes me laugh. When it came to her though- no.

As to your question no I don't, I have me and I'm my own best friend and the only person I can count on.
  6. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

No i don't have a best friend. I'm not sure i ever have, i can think of a few good mates but none of them fills that description. I try to be like that to my mates but its never reciprocated a lonely feeling that.

I didn't know about your friend, i'm sorry to hear that.
  7. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

The only person I told all of my secrets to was my ex. And that was because I believed that there shouldn't be any secrets between us - and I trusted him.
    I have a hard time truly trusting anyone though.
    It took 8 years of being really close to him for me to trust him.

In general, I'm an open book.
    If there is something that I don't want the general public to know- I won't bother to tell anyone at all. I'll keep things like that to myself.
    I am good at keeping secrets, I think I'm pretty good at problem solving and listening-- and I like to help people.

I do have two people who I feel are closer 'friends' than the general span of people whom I talk to and would hang out with. I don't know if I would say "best friends" because my definition of a friend is slightly different than some peoples.
    Brenn and Matty are good friends to me.
    Neither of them have said anything to hurt me; they actually listen to me when I feel like talking and they take me seriously.
    Most people don't really take me seriously. That's fine though - I have never been seen as the serious type although that is definitely who I am.

Many people have been good to me. I think it almost balances out the number of people who have stabbed me in the back and tortured me through my life-- I don't hold it against anyone though.
    No one's perfect, right?
  8. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

So sorry you lost your friend shades...*hug*

after I lost my child to suicide so-called friends dissappeared ...sad that.
    I seemed to always be the one doing for them anyway and not the other way around.
    so I have me and I'm the only one I can count on ..and I no longer trust people because of the let downs..
    have some nice friends on here though..Lov yous.
  9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Lots of best friends on here, yup! :biggrin:
  10. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I had one.. but I don't think they like me as much anymore. So.. I have no idea. But yes I'd still do anything for them even if they wouldn't for me.
  11. barto

barto Well-Known Member

My friend Amelia, who's been like a sister to me ever since 5th grade. But there's some stuff I don't talk about to anybody...
  12. Seems_Perfect

Seems_Perfect Well-Known Member

I have someone I call my best friend b/c we grew up together, but there is no one I trust completely and there is no one I can talk to.
  13. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

And thats because most of friends are c**ts as well :laugh:
  14. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Nope, I don't have any friends. Just a whole lot of people I go to school with. I don't meet any of them outside of it, and they don't really know me. It can be easier this way. Because only you can get to YOU.

It'd be nice to have someone I feel completely comfortable around, and that actually fucking knew me. Someone I could go out to places with, do stuff with. But no. That's too much to ask for. -___-
  15. xZombiexAngelx

xZombiexAngelx Well-Known Member

I've only had two people I've called my best friend. One of them was this guy I dated for two years, he killed himself two days ago because of me. The other is a guy who lives 1000 or more miles away, but I tell him everything. He drops everything to talk to me when I'm feeling down.
  16. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

No. I'm 21 work everyday and
    I have no friends at all.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.