Do you have a drinking problem if...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

You can go weeks and weeks (even months) without alcohol, but when you finally have some, you can't just have one or two, it has to be eight + and usually until you're completely wasted beyond belief?

I have never really thought of myself as someone who had a massive drinking problem until I came on SF, because this is how my drinking is.

I go weeks and weeks without any. I mean half the time it's not even on my mind. I have no real desire to get drunk or to be drunk (okay so every now and again I do think "man I could use a drink" but it's not a daily or constant thing).
    Anyways, when I do eventually have one, it's never one, it always turns into a binge drinking huge bender and I am not satisfied with my evening unless it's like this.
    For instance, a couple of weekends ago I met a friend for what was supposed to be a couple of drinks, I made him stay out until 2am and we did shots and drank at least five or six instead of the three or four we were supposed to. And even then I could've gone on until 5am and drank a couple more...

Does this mean I have a problem?

2. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I wouldn't say its a full on problem Linds. If you did that all the time (like at least twice a week or something) then maybe. Sometimes when I go out (its been a long time since I've been out though) I'll do the same thing. say I only want one drink and that drink turns into me keeping on drinking until I'm trashed.

3. HiddenTears

HiddenTears Well-Known Member

I do the exact same thing. I would say I had a problem, I would take shots before every class just to be a little more open. Now that I am out of college, I don't drink for months but when I do, I drink heavily. I don't think it is a problem though. I am never hurt by it so I just leave it alone. Now getting drunk everyday might be a problem :)

4. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

This is normally "binge drinking" It doesn't mean you have a bad drinking problem, going weeks and weeks without alcohol shows that you're not an alcoholic. If you want some help with this, it's best to contact a doctor. They'll point you in the right direction,

5. Aurora Gory Alice

Thanks guys.

6. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

7. lawstudentindebt

lawstudentindebt Active Member

I think I'm much better with drinking now than when I was in undergrad--then I would drink basically every day, sometimes in fairly heavy quantities. Now, I drink on average maybe twice a week, no more than two beers. On the rare occasion that I go to a party though, I slip back into my old ways and drink too much. Thankfully, I no longer have a tolerance though, so 5-6 drinks punishes me enough to not want to do it again.

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I agree with what's been said mostly.

I don't think it's a drinking problem. It's a problem yes, because if you're drinking that much and you say you can't stop, it's definitely an escape. To get away from emotions. That's how I am except I do it much more frequently. But yeah it just sounds like a temporary escape, which is never good but it doesn't sound like something that you have to worry about or that will fuck up your life or anything.

Aside from that, I don't think drinking or using drugs is ever the real problem. From what I've heard at NA & AA, and just from people who use these things as a means of escape, there are always emotional problems underlying it. When the emotional problems are handled, I think it is much easier to avoid excessive use of drugs and alcohol.

Anyway, sounds like you got the answer you were looking for. Much love :heart: :hug:

9. punk0r1f1c

punk0r1f1c Well-Known Member

I am the same way with my drinking. I can go weeks without drinking. But once I start I can't stop. If there is alcohol I will keep drinking until I black out and pass out. I often surprise myself on how much I end up drinking even though I have told myself I will only have a few, or just enough to maybe get drunk. I just keep going, even if I get sick, I will continue drinking. I feel I personally have a drinking problem. I wouldn't call myself an alcoholic but I know that I do have a serious problem.

10. Aurora Gory Alice

That sounds exactly like me. I feel like... I don't know when to stop. Like I could drink until I fully poisoned myself or something?

11. punk0r1f1c

punk0r1f1c Well-Known Member

Yea that's how I feel. I have actually gotten alcohol poisoning before a couple times from what I understand. I vomit pure black which is a sign of alcohol poisoning. That's the only time I ever really stop drinking and at that point I just go to bed. But I honestly don't understand what sets me off to keep drinking like I do. I have heard that binge drinking is one of the hardest things to treat because it is so random and mysterious. But I do know that my worst benders have been when I am in some sort of emotional distress so maybe there is a possible correlation.

12. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

When I was a teenager I felt that I had to drink to get drunk, and that that was the point of drinking. Then I got out of my teens and matured a little. Now I think it actually ruins drinking by getting drunk, at least for me, because I make a fool out of myself. I have days when I feel I need to get drunk to forget my problems, but if I do I never forget them, I feel them worse. Its always a losing battle. Now I couldn't care less if I never got drunk again, because that isn't why I drink. I have a few to relax, and a few can mean 7 or 8 if I feel like it, but that won't get me drunk, unless I down them quickly. I find it's a lot better to drink slowly, savour it and appreciate it, because it is a luxury. That way, I enjoy it a lot more.

If you only drink to get drunk I would say you do have a problem, not in the way of an alcoholic, but because you are missing the point. Drinking is for relaxation and enjoyment, not inebriation. If you have the ability to stop before you get drunk, but occasionally get drunk, then you're fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.