Do You Have A Pet(s) That you Keep Living For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have an orange mixed breed American Short (almost long) hair named Pushkin. I also provide food, water and shelter and when I can trap him, veterinary care, to a beautiful feral tom named Tom.

There has been many a night when I was desperate and would look at Pushkin laying at my feet or in my lap and know I couldnt leave him.

How about everybody else?

Growing Pains

I wouldn't be here if it weren't for my Corgi mutt. Strange to think she'll be five next year. The Christmas I got her, she pulled me out of one of my darkest depressions. Even though I've fallen again, I still thank her for that and she still helps to keep me here and whole. Every time she looks me in the eyes, I just know I couldn't leave her. I couldn't leave my cat, either.

I live with other dogs, too. They're not mine, but I hold on for them, just as well. I hate thinking about what they'd do without me and whenever I do, I feel guilty for even considering. I just couldn't leave any of them.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I find it interesting that my anchor in this world is a couple of cats.

I suppose I have isolated to the point that they are IRL the real communication I have.

Although Pushkin's favorite word is "treat", if I put down this laptop he will come and sit with me for as along as I stay still.

I knew a lil Corgi once, totally cute dog. I can imagine falling in love with one.

Growing Pains

Don't worry about it too much. My only anchor is a few dogs, a cat, and now, gerbils. I guess, in many ways, they're the most communication I have offline myself.

I think my dogs favorite word is "biscuit", close enough to treat. But I know that if I let her, she'd sit on my lap for as long as I stay still, as well.

They really are cute dogs. I honestly didn't think I'd ever fall in love with one. The year I got her, I had my heart set on a Yorkshire terrier. But one look in her eyes and I couldn't say no. We've been inseparable since. They've got a LOT of personality, corgis do.

Mr Stewart

No but I've thought about getting one for that purpose. A cat maybe. I've never had a cat. Always dogs in the house growing up. I like dogs but I know there is no way I could manage taking care of one. I worry that even with a low maintenance creature I might have difficulty. Living things traditionally do not fare well under my auspices. I have had two plants. They died. Lack of sunlight one and over watered the other. Also, pets aren't allowed under my lease agreement.

i dunno. maybe someday.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
My ferrets...they'd be devastated. People say that ferrets sometimes end up sick and die when they lose their owners. When I was in the hospital for 3 days at one point, they were both pretty depressed.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
I have heard ferrets make great pets.

I have never had one though.

Do they live in a cage or do they roam the house?

bhawk

I have heard ferrets make great pets.

I have never had one though.

Do they live in a cage or do they roam the house?
Ferrets are a vastly underrated pet. They are like permanent puppies and can live both indoors and outdoors. they can be pets and still used as working animals and they are very affectionate. I would always recommend a ferret over a dog or cat any day.

As for my own animals....well.....
over 500 rats (plenty more on the way too,) hawks, falcons, owls, vulture, 2 lurchers, 1 cat, and soon some ferrets....
(not all animals live at home with me though, some are on loan with my ex, some are at work and the majority of rats are at a seperate location.)

Mr Stewart

Ferrets are a vastly underrated pet. They are like permanent puppies and can live both indoors and outdoors. they can be pets and still used as working animals and they are very affectionate. I would always recommend a ferret over a dog or cat any day.

As for my own animals....well.....
over 500 rats (plenty more on the way too,) hawks, falcons, owls, vulture, 2 lurchers, 1 cat, and soon some ferrets....
(not all animals live at home with me though, some are on loan with my ex, some are at work and the majority of rats are at a seperate location.)
Two questions:

1. exactly what function does a ferret trained for work purposes perform?

2. are you saying the Department of Lepufology has a rodent problem? Or is the Department of Lepufology engaged in some sort of rodent breeding experiment bent towards mutation and world domination via mutant ninja rats? One of whom will grow old and start wearing a purple robe and later adopt and train a team of four turtles who will switch sides and start fighting for good to prevent Shredder from... no wait, nevermind. Hrmmm...

I have two cats who I stay for. I know my one cat Cal would be fine without me. I've had to give him away a few time in the last five years, because I couldn't have more then one cat. So either my sister or my mom took care of him for me, and he was very happy with them. However, Scrappy doesn't like anyone but me. I guess he gets all panicky when I am not around. I've had people take him for weekends. So he has kept me going for nine years. As long as he is here, I am staying. I don't want to think of how he'd be without me. I once had a nightmare of him living on a farm because I did it, and he was cold and hungry and depressed. That image of him made me stay. Strange how a cat can do that.

I have my kitty Oreo, she is around 15yo and really fat. she also likes to sleep on my pillow. when i get really sad she is always there to cuddle and purr. though I'm sure when she is gone so am I. She relies on me. But if worse came to worse, my housemate would adopt her.

I have a huge himalayan with tabby markings (Marley aka Marls aka Golden Lion aka Golden Delicious [he lives in the Big Apple with me], aka Big Boy) who spends his day watching TV and trying to sit on my lap (which is considerably smaller than him) who is my joy. My Kitten who I had to put to sleep on Christmas Eve of last yr, I called Plus One, because I thought the day after he was gone so would I...but here I am with Marley watching the words appear on the screen...as I always say, wish he had thumbs so I would not have to work!

Isabel

Staff Alumni
Well, I would say the Zoo is pretty much central to both mine and hubby's life. There is Luath, border collie extraordinaire and nicknamed Monkey. Than Hans, our german shepherd, more commonly known as daddy's boy (the umbilical cord between the two is about 3 inches long). There is Yoyo, our resident cat and rodent controller. And a few of the farm animals have also earned the title of pets. Tizan our bull who considers himself to be a 1200 pounds Labrador, Nalante, our oldest dairy cow, Rou, our stallion, Loki and Job, two icelandic sheep and Casanova, our humongus muscovy drake who rules the fowl, getting both the girls and the lion share of the food. They make every day full of adventure.

bhawk

Two questions:

1. exactly what function does a ferret trained for work purposes perform?

2. are you saying the Department of Lepufology has a rodent problem? Or is the Department of Lepufology engaged in some sort of rodent breeding experiment bent towards mutation and world domination via mutant ninja rats? One of whom will grow old and start wearing a purple robe and later adopt and train a team of four turtles who will switch sides and start fighting for good to prevent Shredder from... no wait, nevermind. Hrmmm...
working ferrets are place into rabbits warrens while purse nets cover the holes. the ferrets chase the rabbits (their natural prey species) and the rabbits bolt out the wholes and the purse net closes around them, leaving me to dispatch the rabbits. very efficient way of hunting rabbits with an afternoon ferreting often putting 20+ rabbits in the bag.

As for the rats, unfortunately they arent going to be mutating, theyre bred for falcon food. great pets though!

ExtraSoap

I wish I had a pet, my parents refuse to agree on waht breed of dog we should get, and when I came to the conclusion that I might as well get a snake as a personal pet (I love reptiles :D) my mom made up some excuse about being squeamish and feeding it or something.

Wastingecho

lately my cats are the only ones who come near me - not lap cats though - they wait for me to lean back then sit on my chest - well, two of them do

the third one just eats my apples and tries to join me in the shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00