Do you have to be suicidal to belong here?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Tam, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Someone here queried why I was on the forum at all if I wasn’t suicidal. Totally flipped me out because it keyed right into how I’ve been feeling about being here since I joined - like you’re not really allowed to be here unless you’re actually suicidal, like it’s some kind of special club that people who don’t actually want to die aren’t allowed to join.

It’s gotten to the point where I feel I can’t really post me-threads here because they’re not serious enough, not important enough to warrant asking for understanding and support (ok I was already feeling like that before she said it, but now it’s really freaking me out.) So I guess I’m posting this now as a kind of permission-seeking - is it ok to be here, to want to get emotional support and understanding, even if you’re not suicidal? Maybe I shouldn’t even post this, maybe the way I feel is true and the answer is no you’re not welcome here unless you’re either suicidal or helping suicidal people.

This is not some whiney oh everyone please reassure me I’m wanted type of thing - it’s a serious question about what the community’s attitude is to non-suicidal people posting here.
  2. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

hey :hug: of course its ok to post here whenever you want or need to :) im not suicidal and im here and there are probably quite a few people in that position. certainly i was at one point, but im not right now. the idea is that we can provide support for people and please dont think you are not allowed or able to get that support - you are and there are people who care :hugtackles:
  3. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Look at the motto
    "SF - A forum for people in crisis" NOT "SF - A forum for people suicidal"
    Even if you're not in crisis, there is no reason for you to not be here. You don't need permission to be here or to make posts! You have friends here, that alone is helping people and you're a trusted member from posts I've seen.
    I'm not suicidal at all anymore. That doesn't mean I HAVE to leave. Stay, post, and only leave when you're ready. We're all here to help everyone, not just those who are suicidal. Some people come here just to pretend about it all anyway, they shouldn't be allowed here but unfortunately there's no way to differentiate them from genuine people. If we can help "fake" people, why shouldn't people who aren't suicidal but just need a little help every now and again, have a community they can talk to?

If you want permission then it's granted as of now, but you really, really don't need it =]
  4. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

Tam, I've been asked the same thing. Honestly, you have as much of a right to be here as anyone else - you're always so helpful and friendly, just the kind of person that people here need!

Everyone needs support sometimes. You deserve someone to listen to your problems and to recieve support as much as anyone else on here.
  5. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Tam :hug:

I can really relate, hun. I'm not suicidal anymore either, but that doesn't mean I don't need a place to vent. Your problems aren't any less important than anyone elses. You deserve the same support everyone on SF does. It's not about being suicidal, it's about needing support and understanding. There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to come here if you need it. *huggles*
  6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Of course you have a right to be here to support others who have suicidal ideation Who ever said that was wrong and needs a good swat we are all here to help others I for one am glad you are here and hope you ingnore the ignorant comments take care:hugtackles:
  7. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I can only echo what the others have said. I hope this negative experience does not deter you from making future posts. You deserve support just as much as the next person, whether you're suicidal or not shouldn't be a factor.

8. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Hun even if you only come here to post ,vent whatever, you need that opportunity. The same as every single other member here. And the bonus that others offer support and kindness and friendship is great.

We all know how lonely and confusing our thoughts can be. Regardless what they are about. And trying to keep them to ourselves only adds to the confusion and hurt. So we come here and let them out. You're no different.

Then you have the courage to take it one step further and you support others. And that is what this site is truly about. Support. So be it from someone who is dangling one foot over the edge or someone who is firmly planted onthe ground, it doesnt matter. Support and caring is always in great demand here. And you certainly do more than your share.

So please dont ever doubt whether you belong here or not. It would be wonderful if no one needed to be here. That there was no need for such a site. But there is and as long as it's here I hope you will be too. Loves ya!!!!!
  9. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

aw tam :hug: :hug: :hug: you do belong are so helpful and wise

getting your comments makes me so happy, it encourages me to go on...

like red tears of ice said this is a crisis forum...I mean look at all the forums they aren't all for suicide, some have substance abuse without being suicidal...others self harm...they are even forums for creative people, for dreams and random you do belong here...

that person was probably jealous and needed to hurt someone to make her/himself better...dont pay attention to that person...
  10. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Tam you belong here just like everyone else.. You don't have to be suicidal to give support and advice..Don't let one person dictate your self worth..There are those who just don't get it.. I read all your replies to people and you offer pure support and have a way with words to help calm them..Take care!!!
  11. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

:hug: :love: dont leave Tam, you are amazing and welcomed around here, you have so many friends on the site that care for you and want you to be ok :hugtackles: you have such great advice, ignore who ever made that comment about u dont belong here as its not true.
  12. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Thanks so much everyone for the great replies. It's really helped :smile:
  13. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

You are a real friendly 'face' around the forum and it would be our loss if you left. I hope all these replies have granted your 'permission'. :)
  14. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Eh? Why would it matter if you are or arnt. It's nice to just see friendly faces too. :smile: